DXF input with heights

Chaitanya S. Rajguru

Hi, Jan,

>   1.  Does anyone have a newer v.in.dxf program that will accept and store
>       elevation values for later use.?

I have gone thru' the same problem; getting DXF data with associated
heights into GRASS. I implemented a specific solution to this:

The DXF file is allowed to contain only line and area info. The height
is stored as text in the middle of an area line/polyline. My program
reads in this text and stores it as an attribute for the area edge
in the imported vector file. Then another program (that uses
r.mapcalc) computes a raster file after a v.to.rast , and offsetd
the corresponding areas vertically to the heights given by their
attributes.

I am also thinking of importing 3DLINE data.

If you would like to know more, or if something is not clear,
do write to me.

Good luck.

-Raj

                        Chaitanya S. Rajguru

Mobile And Portable Radio [hidden email]
  Research Group [hidden email]
Dept. of Electrical Engg. (703) 231-4160
VPI&SU (Virginia Tech)