Cylindrical Equal Area Projection

Peter Borissow
Hello-
    I would like to contribute to GeoTools by implementing the Cylindrical Equal Area Projection:

In doing so, we should be able to support other cylindrical equal area projections like NSIDC EASE-Grid Global (EPSG:3410), Behrmann (EPSG:54017), Peters, Gal, etc.

I am a geotools novice but would like to contribute. What is the process for adding a new projection?

I believe the first step is to implement a class that extends MapProjection. This code looks like a good place to start:

What else needs to be done?

Thanks,
Peter

PS. I posted a question on the gt mailing list with no response:

Re: Cylindrical Equal Area Projection

geowolf
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Peter Borissow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello-
    I would like to contribute to GeoTools by implementing the Cylindrical Equal Area Projection:

In doing so, we should be able to support other cylindrical equal area projections like NSIDC EASE-Grid Global (EPSG:3410), Behrmann (EPSG:54017), Peters, Gal, etc.

I am a geotools novice but would like to contribute. What is the process for adding a new projection?

I believe the first step is to implement a class that extends MapProjection. This code looks like a good place to start:

Hi Peter,
normally what we do is to port the math from libproj, not sure if proj4j is any different, the geotools code assumes
the projection works on the unit sphere:

What else needs to be done?

You basically have to wrap it in the GeoTools own plugin structure (projection, provider),
declare the provider in META-INF/services, and add a test comparing your results
with some that cs2cs generated.

Here is a couple of commits adding a new projection, for reference.
Sinusoidal:
EckertIV, WinkelTripel, Mollweide, Aitoff, WagnerIV (all in one shot):

PS. I posted a question on the gt mailing list with no response:

I never received those messages, wondering if others here did?

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Cylindrical Equal Area Projection

Peter Borissow
This is great!

I updated the org.geotools.referencing.operation.MathTransformProvider file in the "gt-referencing" jar file and now GeoTools is now able to "see" my projection.

However, I still think I'm missing something. I think I need to create/update the CRSFactory or something to set the DomainOfValidity. Here's the code:

        String behrmannWKT =
        "PROJCS[\"World_Behrmann\"," +
            "GEOGCS[\"GCS_WGS_1984\"," +
                "DATUM[\"WGS_1984\"," +
                    "SPHEROID[\"WGS_1984\",6378137,298.257223563]]," +
                "PRIMEM[\"Greenwich\",0]," +
                "UNIT[\"Degree\",0.017453292519943295]]," +
            "PROJECTION[\"Cylindrical_Equal_Area\"]," +
            "PARAMETER[\"False_Easting\",0]," +
            "PARAMETER[\"False_Northing\",0]," +
            "PARAMETER[\"Central_Meridian\",0]," +
            "PARAMETER[\"Standard_Parallel_1\",30]," +
            "UNIT[\"Meter\",1]," +
            "AUTHORITY[\"EPSG\",\"54017\"]]";

CoordinateReferenceSystem crs = CRS.parseWKT(behrmannWKT);Extent crsExtent = crs.getDomainOfValidity(); //<-- RETURNS NULL???

Thanks,
Peter

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:%2B39%20%C2%A0339%208844549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Got it. Couple more questions:

I'd like to implement the Behrmann and Gall Orthographic projections. They are simple Cylindrical Equal Area projections with a predefined standard parallel. Do I need to create a new class for each of these projections or is there some simple way to create an alias?

Similarly, how should I handle direct aliases such as the "Lambert Cylindrical Equal Area"? Do I need to create new classes for these as well?

Thanks Again,
Peter

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Peter Borissow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Got it. Couple more questions:

I'd like to implement the Behrmann and Gall Orthographic projections. They are simple Cylindrical Equal Area projections with a predefined standard parallel. Do I need to create a new class for each of these projections or is there some simple way to create an alias?

No, I think you should just create a new provider, see what I did in the second commit I linked in the previous mail, I believe there
was one or two examples of that.

Similarly, how should I handle direct aliases such as the "Lambert Cylindrical Equal Area"? Do I need to create new classes for these as well?

Likewise, if the math is the same, and you are just initializing it with different parameter names/default values.

One thing, I'm not sure if these projections are in the EPSG database, but if they are, make sure to match
the name used there, so that we can CRS.decode(...) them from the EPSG database.
I think only the Lambert one is recognized in the db:
For example, after adding support for it, trying to decode EPSG:3571
should give you back a CRS describing WGS 84 / North Pole LAEA Bering Sea

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

I have attached a first cut of the CylindricalEqualArea projection.

You will need to add 2 lines to the org.geotools.referencing.operation.MathTransformProvider for it to work:
   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$Provider
   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$BehrmannProvider

I don't know how to test it. Visually it looks ok. I used the following code which generated a map that looks a lot like this:

        CoordinateReferenceSystem crs = CRS.decode("EPSG:54017");
        MapContent map = new MapContent();
        MapViewport vp = map.getViewport();
        vp.setCoordinateReferenceSystem(crs);
        map.addLayer(getPoliticalBoundaries());
        map.addLayer(getGraticules());

I used code from Proj4j[1] which is almost identical to Proj4[2].

The only thing I'm not sure about is the "trueScaleLatitude" variable in the constructor. In proj4, this maps to "tlat_ts". I have no idea what the equivalent is in GeoTools.

Also, I need someone to check the citations in the Provider classes.

Thanks for all your help!
Peter

CylindricalEqualArea.java (11K) Download Attachment

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Peter Borissow <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have attached a first cut of the CylindricalEqualArea projection.

You will need to add 2 lines to the org.geotools.referencing.operation.MathTransformProvider for it to work:
   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$Provider
   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$BehrmannProvider

Hi Peter,
normally we ask for a pull request to be made, could you create one?
There are instructions here:

I don't know how to test it.

You have to write a script test, see the two commits I've linked for examples.
It's basically just getting some reference results from cs2cs and build the script file that contains them, with tolerances.

Visually it looks ok. I used the following code which generated a map that looks a lot like this:

        CoordinateReferenceSystem crs = CRS.decode("EPSG:54017");
        MapContent map = new MapContent();
        MapViewport vp = map.getViewport();
        vp.setCoordinateReferenceSystem(crs);
        map.addLayer(getPoliticalBoundaries());
        map.addLayer(getGraticules());

I used code from Proj4j[1] which is almost identical to Proj4[2].

The only thing I'm not sure about is the "trueScaleLatitude" variable in the constructor. In proj4, this maps to "tlat_ts". I have no idea what the equivalent is in GeoTools.

I don't know what that is either.

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

I will do a pull request as you suggest. However, I want to add a couple more projections (providers) before I do (e.g. "EPSG:3410" NSIDC EASE-Grid Global).

As for testing, I generated an equal area grid using the Berhmann projection. Then, I converted the grid cells (polygons) to USA_Contiguous_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic projection (ESRI 102003). The transformed grid cells are very close to being equal area.

Next, I want to try EPSG:4326. I want transform the Berhmann grid to WGS84 and confirm whether the polygons with geographic coordinates are equal area. Unfortunately, when I call getArea() on an individual cell, JTS is returning the area in degrees. Instead of degrees, I would like to get the area in meters. Is that possible? Obviously meters/degree changes as you move toward the poles but I would still expect so utility to compute the area of a polygon on the WGS84 ellipsoid in meters. Is there anything like that in GeoTools?

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Cylindrical Equal Area Projection

Peter Borissow
Hello Andrea-
    I have attached an updated copy of the CylindricalEqualArea class along with a test script. The CylindricalEqualArea class supports 2 "alias" projections:

- World Behrmann (ESRI:54017)
- Lambert Cylindrical Equal Area

You will need to add 3 lines to the org.geotools.referencing.operation.MathTransformProvider for it to work:

   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$Provider
   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$BehrmannProvider
   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$LambertCylindricalEqualAreaProvider

The CylindricalEqualArea class is supposed to support both spheriods and ellipsoids. I have verified that the ellipsoidal calculations are correct using the Behrmann projection (ESRI:54017) which uses the WGS84 ellipsoid.

Unfortunately, there appears to be something wrong with the spherical datums like the one used by NSIDC EASE-Grid Global (EPSG:3410) which uses the 1924 Authalic Sphere. cs2cs reports that the coordinates in the x axis are correct but the y axis is off. I have checked my code against the proj4 and proj4j projects and I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

I am hesitant to put in a pull request because of this issue.

(1) Have someone from the GeoTools dev team review my code with the latest version on GeoTools. Note that I am using an older version of GeoTools (10.x) and an unknown build of proj4 (cs2cs utility) so the anomaly I am seeing with spherical datums may be just a misconfiguration on my end.

(2) Comment out support for spherical datums.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks,
Peter

CylindricalEqualArea.java (12K) Download Attachment
CylindricalEqualArea.txt (5K) Download Attachment

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Peter Borissow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Andrea-
    I have attached an updated copy of the CylindricalEqualArea class along with a test script. The CylindricalEqualArea class supports 2 "alias" projections:

- World Behrmann (ESRI:54017)
- Lambert Cylindrical Equal Area

You will need to add 3 lines to the org.geotools.referencing.operation.MathTransformProvider for it to work:

   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$Provider
   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$BehrmannProvider
   org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.CylindricalEqualArea$LambertCylindricalEqualAreaProvider

The CylindricalEqualArea class is supposed to support both spheriods and ellipsoids. I have verified that the ellipsoidal calculations are correct using the Behrmann projection (ESRI:54017) which uses the WGS84 ellipsoid.

Odd, I've applied the projection and tests you provided (on GeoTools master, we don't accept new features on 10.x), and the Berhman case is failing:

TransformException at line 33:
Expected GeneralDirectPosition[964862.8,                 1269436.74]
 but got GeneralDirectPosition[964862.802508965,         1269436.7435378402]

If I reduce the precision for X to 0.01 then I have the following:

TransformException at line 45:
Expected GeneralDirectPosition[1.254321643E7,        6351420.0] but got
         GeneralDirectPosition[1.2543216432616547E7, 6351419.997326233]

because a few lines above you setup a 0.001 tolerance for Y... oh well, I've reduced it all to 0.01 and
this part works.

Then it gets to the autalic sphere, and does not even start working:

OperationNotFoundException at line 82: Bursa wolf parameters required.

I've added TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],  to the autalic sphere datum (not sure if correct, but it gets things going) and
finally see:

TransformException at line 85:
Expected GeneralDirectPosition[963010.77,         1277505.4] but got
         GeneralDirectPosition[963010.<a href="tel:7746492706" value="+17746492706" target="_blank">7746492706, 1269160.<a href="tel:2484886926" value="+12484886926" target="_blank">2484886926]

Indeed quite off. This is happening because cs2cs is not applying any transformation to lon and lat,
it is just taking them as valid values on the autalic sphere without compensating for the difference
in flattening:

cs2cs -v +datum=WGS84 +proj=lonlat +to +proj=lonlat  +a=6371228 +b=6371228 +units=m +no_defs# ---- From Coordinate System ----
#Lat/long (Geodetic)
#
# +datum=WGS84 +proj=lonlat +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0
# ---- To Coordinate System ----
#Lat/long (Geodetic)
#
# +proj=lonlat +a=6371228 +b=6371228 +units=m +no_defs
10 10
10dE 10dN 0.000

(the lat should have been something like 9.93 instead)

And I'm not sure why it's doing that... theoretically it should compensate for the different size
of the elliposoid/spheroid, the behavior we're seeing should be something we get only
with +@nadgrids=null instead:

I don't have an answer here, so I've asked on the proj.4 mailing list

Cheers
Andrea

--
==

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:

Indeed quite off. This is happening because cs2cs is not applying any transformation to lon and lat,
it is just taking them as valid values on the autalic sphere without compensating for the difference
in flattening:

cs2cs -v +datum=WGS84 +proj=lonlat +to +proj=lonlat  +a=6371228 +b=6371228 +units=m +no_defs# ---- From Coordinate System ----
#Lat/long (Geodetic)
#
# +datum=WGS84 +proj=lonlat +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0
# ---- To Coordinate System ----
#Lat/long (Geodetic)
#
# +proj=lonlat +a=6371228 +b=6371228 +units=m +no_defs
10 10
10dE 10dN 0.000

(the lat should have been something like 9.93 instead)

And I've already got an answer, quoting:

Andrea,

this must be linked to
http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/FAQ#WhydoIgetdifferentresultswith4.5.0and4.6.0

Basically you need to add +towgs84=0,0,0 to the target coordinate system so as
to have a full datum definition.

$ cs2cs +datum=WGS84 +proj=lonlat +to +proj=lonlat  +a=6371228 +b=6371228
+towgs84=0,0,0
10 10
10dE    9d56'3.819"N 6269.402

So, it seems that there's a new parameter that we have to add to those cs2cs scripts
in order to get the datum shift going

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

Andrea-
    Thanks for following up on this. So it sounds like the class I wrote is ok but the test scripts need to be tweaked. Do you still want me to do a pull request or can you commit the code on my behalf. I would prefer the latter if possible. At least this one time.

Thanks Again for your support!
Peter

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Peter Borissow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrea-
    Thanks for following up on this. So it sounds like the class I wrote is ok but the test scripts need to be tweaked. Do you still want me to do a pull request or can you commit the code on my behalf. I would prefer the latter if possible. At least this one time.

Humm... nope, you are contributing new files, so we need them to have
the right copyright header (it's missing now), you to sign and send the contribution agreement, and
a pull request as a proof you wanted to donate them to OSGeo.
See instructions here:

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

Adding "+towgs84=0,0,0" to cs2cs helps but the coordinates are a few meters off in the y axis for the autalic sphere, at least on my computer:

cs2cs WGS84 --> NSIDC EASE-Grid Global (EPSG:3410)
10 10 --> 963010.77 1269208.67 6269.40
-50 -50 --> -4815053.87 -5620001.73 -5596.48
130 60 --> 12519140.07 6360484.35 -9095.78

GeoTools WGS84 --> NSIDC EASE-Grid Global (EPSG:3410) --> WGS84
10 10 --> (963010.7746492706, 1269160.2484886926) --> (9.999298124584156, 9.999999999999998)
-50 -50 --> (-4815053.873246353, -5619998.269851232) --> (-49.999747948114184, -50.0)
60 130 --> (1.251914007044052E7, 6360499.695165725) --> (60.00023521376756, 130.0)

Also, I noticed that in GeoTools, the coordinates are off after a full roundtrip. Maybe that's normal but I wanted to bring it to your attention.

In summary, ellipsoid calculations seem to work but spherical calculations are off as compared to proj4 (cs2cs).

Any more thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Peter Borissow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Adding "+towgs84=0,0,0" to cs2cs helps but the coordinates are a few meters off in the y axis for the autalic sphere, at least on my computer:

cs2cs WGS84 --> NSIDC EASE-Grid Global (EPSG:3410)
10 10 --> 963010.77 1269208.67 6269.40
-50 -50 --> -4815053.87 -5620001.73 -5596.48
130 60 --> 12519140.07 6360484.35 -9095.78

GeoTools WGS84 --> NSIDC EASE-Grid Global (EPSG:3410) --> WGS84
10 10 --> (963010.<a href="tel:7746492706" value="+17746492706" target="_blank">7746492706, 1269160.<a href="tel:2484886926" value="+12484886926" target="_blank">2484886926) --> (9.999298124584156, 9.999999999999998)
-50 -50 --> (-4815053.873246353, -5619998.269851232) --> (-49.999747948114184, -50.0)
60 130 --> (1.251914007044052E7, 6360499.695165725) --> (60.00023521376756, 130.0)

Also, I noticed that in GeoTools, the coordinates are off after a full roundtrip. Maybe that's normal but I wanted to bring it to your attention.

The fact they are off after a full roundtrip is normal, precision of floating point numbers is limited.
But I don't know about the residual difference between cs2cs and geotools, nothing comes to mind right now.... I'll try to
have another look, but it might be some days before I have time again

I'd suggest that in the meantime you contribute what you can with a pull request, with proper headers, and
send the copyright assignment to OSGeo

Cheers
Andrea

--
==

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
The fact they are off after a full roundtrip is normal, precision of floating point numbers is limited.
But I don't know about the residual difference between cs2cs and geotools, nothing comes to mind right now.... I'll try to
have another look, but it might be some days before I have time again

I'd suggest that in the meantime you contribute what you can with a pull request, with proper headers, and
send the copyright assignment to OSGeo

Hi Peter,
did you manage to make any progress on the pull request and the copyright assignment papers?
I cannot help you if you don't do at least those two (your code would not be merge-able anyways without them).

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

    Apologies for the late response. I have been on travel with limited access to email. It might be a couple more weeks before I get to my computer to submit pull request and complete the assignment papers as you have requested.

In the interim, if you or anyone else wants to submit a pull request, go for it! I claim no copyright to the source code since it is a derived product from other open source projects.

Best Regards,
Peter

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Peter Borissow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Andrea-
    Apologies for the late response. I have been on travel with limited access to email. It might be a couple more weeks before I get to my computer to submit pull request and complete the assignment papers as you have requested.

In the interim, if you or anyone else wants to submit a pull request, go for it! I claim no copyright to the source code since it is a derived product from other open source projects.

Afaik you have to claim copyright (at least part of it, you can also cite the other sources), and then assign it, for us to receive your code.
No problem about waiting, I was inquiring only to make sure we did not lose the contribution, not to pressure you into doing it quickly :-)

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

    I finally found some time to try to push this code to Github. I cloned "master" using Netbeans but it looks a little off. Is this the correct branch or should I clone one of the other branches (e.g. 16.x)?

Thanks,
Peter