Current Status

Landon Blake-2
Hey guys. There is some discussion about pulling MetaCRS out of the OSGeo incubation process. Is anyone still actively working on MetaCRS code/tests/documentation? Was the project ever assigned an incubation mentor, and who was working with the mentor?

I'm trying to decide if I should step up to do some work on MetaCRS, either to help it get trough incubation or to move it into OSGeo Technology Projects. Before I make a decision, I'm trying to wrap my hands around the current status.

Thanks!

Landon

Re: Current Status

Martin Desruisseaux-3
At some point they were a willing to create a test suite, but I do not
remember having seen development in the last years. The context may have
changed a little bit since the EPSG team has created the Geospatial
integrity of geoscience software – GIGS – tests since that time
(http://www.iogp.org/Geomatics#2521115-gigs). However those tests are
provided in the form of Excel sheets - we need to convert them in a form
executable by various libraries. This work started years ago in GeoAPI
(http://www.geoapi.org/geoapi-conformance/apidocs/org/opengis/test/referencing/gigs/package-summary.html)
but progress are slow due to my lack of time. But I have been able to
run tests on Proj.4 even if the GeoAPI interfaces are in Java. I'm
mentioning that just in case you would like to avoid some overlaps.

Note: GeoAPI project is owned by OGC. All OGC members can of course
influence its direction, but I think that they would not object to open
it to non-OGC contributors. Many OGC projects are hosted on github now.

    Martin

Le 08/03/16 17:32, Landon Blake a écrit :

> Hey guys. There is some discussion about pulling MetaCRS out of the
> OSGeo incubation process. Is anyone still actively working on MetaCRS
> code/tests/documentation? Was the project ever assigned an incubation
> mentor, and who was working with the mentor?
>
> I'm trying to decide if I should step up to do some work on MetaCRS,
> either to help it get trough incubation or to move it into OSGeo
> Technology Projects. Before I make a decision, I'm trying to wrap my
> hands around the current status.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Landon

Re: Current Status

Howard Butler-3

> On Mar 8, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Landon Blake <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey guys. There is some discussion about pulling MetaCRS out of the OSGeo incubation process. Is anyone still actively working on MetaCRS code/tests/documentation? Was the project ever assigned an incubation mentor, and who was working with the mentor?
>
> I'm trying to decide if I should step up to do some work on MetaCRS, either to help it get trough incubation or to move it into OSGeo Technology Projects. Before I make a decision, I'm trying to wrap my hands around the current status.

Landon,

I think MetaCRS should be removed from OSGeo's incubation process, and each of the member projects (proj.4, csmap, proj4js, sr.org) be pushed off into OSGeo's Member projects area. If the member projects wish to have PSCs they can do so with that mechanism, and it will eliminate the current situation where non-members end up voting through releases and motions.

MetaCRS is successful as a mailing list to bring together coordinate system folks. Proj4's mailing list has also served that role. It is not now or never will be an OSGeo project in the classical sense of the word, and it is a frustrating fit to try to shoehorn it in that way.

Howard

Re: Current Status

Even Rouault-2
Le jeudi 01 septembre 2016 16:57:19, Howard Butler a écrit :

> > On Mar 8, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Landon Blake <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hey guys. There is some discussion about pulling MetaCRS out of the OSGeo
> > incubation process. Is anyone still actively working on MetaCRS
> > code/tests/documentation? Was the project ever assigned an incubation
> > mentor, and who was working with the mentor?
> >
> > I'm trying to decide if I should step up to do some work on MetaCRS,
> > either to help it get trough incubation or to move it into OSGeo
> > Technology Projects. Before I make a decision, I'm trying to wrap my
> > hands around the current status.
>
> Landon,
>
> I think MetaCRS should be removed from OSGeo's incubation process, and each
> of the member projects (proj.4, csmap, proj4js, sr.org) be pushed off into
> OSGeo's Member projects area. If the member projects wish to have PSCs
> they can do so with that mechanism, and it will eliminate the current
> situation where non-members end up voting through releases and motions.
>
> MetaCRS is successful as a mailing list to bring together coordinate system
> folks. Proj4's mailing list has also served that role. It is not now or
> never will be an OSGeo project in the classical sense of the word, and it
> is a frustrating fit to try to shoehorn it in that way.

I agree with Howard. It doesn't really make sense for people affiliated with
proj.4 to vote on motions from csmap and the reverse, since they're unlikely
to try the release candidates of the other project or have an informed opinion
on technical or management choices. Each MetaCRS "component" would be a better
fit as a standalone project of
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Projects and MetaCRS mailing list
be used to coordinate between projects when there's a need to do so.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Current Status

Landon Blake-2
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll let the Incubation Committee now we should pull MetaCRS out of incubation.

Landon