Creating small icons for social media - local chapter

Creating small icons for social media - local chapter

Peter Mooney
Hi Jody, List,

Currently, I'm mostly responsible for OSGeoIE on Twitter.

Responding to [1] and [2] here - is there a 'how to' guide to create social media icons for local chapters? I am rather clueless around image editing/manipulation/etc. Apologies if I have missed links.

The OSGeo IE Chapter does have an example of a larger branding logo in [2].

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Creating small icons for social media - local chapter

nicolas bozon
Hi Peter,

There isn't such 'image editing' guide in our new branding guidelines, however the process to create your own twitter avatar is rather simple:

- Open page 36 of the PDF style guide in Inkscape or Illustrator
- Select the desired objects and paste it to a new document
- Edit the text layer according to your need
- Export it as a 400x400 pixels PNG image

Please find the resulting image attached. It should fit to twitter recommended
dimensions so you can use it directly.

For your twitter profile background image, please consider the resources
available at https://unsplash.com/search/photos/drone, as indicated by
the styleguide (page 13). You may still have to crop the selected picture to
a 1500x500 pixel JPEG to get the perfect header :)

Hope it helps,

Best,

Nick

Hi Jody, List,

Currently, I'm mostly responsible for OSGeoIE on Twitter.

Responding to [1] and [2] here - is there a 'how to' guide to create social media icons for local chapters? I am rather clueless around image editing/manipulation/etc. Apologies if I have missed links.

The OSGeo IE Chapter does have an example of a larger branding logo in [2].

Thanks,

Peter

osego-ie-twitter.png (35K) Download Attachment

Re: Creating small icons for social media - local chapter

jody.garnett
Thanks Nick, you are the best :)

There are some social media templates around so you do not have to cut and paste from the PDF. In addition to the round one you have attached there is a square social media avatar for one of the other platforms (Facebook, Twitter,LinkedIn).
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 11:28 PM nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jody Garnett

Re: Creating small icons for social media - local chapter

Peter Mooney
Thank you very much Nick! This is excellent. I appreciate the image.

I'll get working with Inkscape now.

Peter

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 7:28 AM, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello Peter,

maybe you should change the logo.

https://twitter.com/OSGeoIE

In the tweets the text IE is not readable.

Maybe it looks better with white background and dark letters.

Astrid

Am 30.01.2018 15:30 schrieb Peter Mooney:

> Thank you very much Nick! This is excellent. I appreciate the image.
>
> I'll get working with Inkscape now.
>
> Peter
>
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 7:28 AM, nicolas bozon
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> There isn't such 'image editing' guide in our new branding
>> guidelines, however the process to create your own twitter avatar is
>> rather simple:
>>
>> - Open page 36 of the PDF style guide in Inkscape or Illustrator
>> - Select the desired objects and paste it to a new document
>> - Edit the text layer according to your need
>> - Export it as a 400x400 pixels PNG image
>>
>> Please find the resulting image attached. It should fit to twitter
>> recommended
>> dimensions so you can use it directly.
>>
>> For your twitter profile background image, please consider the
>> resources
>> available at https://unsplash.com/search/photos/drone [5], as
>> indicated by
>> the styleguide (page 13). You may still have to crop the selected
>> picture to
>> a 1500x500 pixel JPEG to get the perfect header :)
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nick

>>> Hi Jody, List,
>>>
>>> Currently, I'm mostly responsible for OSGeoIE on Twitter.
>>>
>>> Responding to [1] and [2] here - is there a 'how to' guide to
>>> create social media icons for local chapters? I am rather clueless
>>> around image editing/manipulation/etc. Apologies if I have missed
>>> links.
>>>
>>> The OSGeo IE Chapter does have an example of a larger branding
>>> logo in [2].
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> [1] https://twitter.com/jodygarnett/status/955685364349378560 [1]
>>> [2] https://twitter.com/jodygarnett/status/955840912675844097 [2]
>>> [3]
>>>

> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding/subbrands/local-chapter/ie
>>> [3]

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://twitter.com/jodygarnett/status/955685364349378560
> [2] https://twitter.com/jodygarnett/status/955840912675844097
> [3]
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding/subbrands/local-chapter/ie
> [5] https://unsplash.com/search/photos/drone

Re: Creating small icons for social media - local chapter

Peter Mooney
Hi Astrid,

Thanks to Nicolas' help and tips I've created another Twitter icon (round, dark lettering) - so I've just used that as the profile picture now.

Best wishes,

Peter