Creating simple density maps

Corrin Lakeland-4
Hi all,

This is a really simple question but I haven't been able to find it in
any FAQs, a link would be as good as an answer :)

I would like to create maps at what I'll call a CAU (census area unit)
level with a score for each CAU.  I have the CAU values in some sort of
mapinfo file (extension: MAP, qgis loads it fine).  I would like to then
say in a seperate file (tab delimited, or whatever) that CAU "15512" has
a score of "0.515" or whatever and produce a nice coloured map of the
country (or zoom in using the GUI to towns, etc).

What the score means will vary from project to project.  For the current
one it happens to be population density.

How do I go about doing that?  Sorry to ask such a basic question.

Corrin Lakeland