Creating GEODB File

raghulan
Hello Guys,

 I have the following scenario, please advice me.

1. I am trying to export from Autodesk Civil3D objects with ODTable data to SHP file - Issue is Field names are truncated.
2. Now is there a way I create a GEO DB using FDO.

Is there any documentation on creating GEO DB/ Insert/ Update/ Delete entries.

Thanks.
-Raghulan Gowthaman
Senior civil BIM Consultant

Re: Creating GEODB File

Jackie Ng
>>> 1. I am trying to export from Autodesk Civil3D objects with ODTable data to SHP file - Issue is Field names are truncated.

This is a limitation of the SHP file format. Nothing can be done about it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapefile#Data_storage)

>>> 2. Now is there a way I create a GEO DB using FDO.

Not that I know of. I think the ArcGIS FDO provider may be able to connect to ESRI gdbs (http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD_Map_3D/enu/2014/Help/0005-FDO_Deve0/0127-OSGeo_FD127) not sure exactly.

- Jackie

Re: Creating GEODB File

raghulan
Thanks Jackie,

 I know the limitations of the SHP files, our issues is client wants to take geometry and data to ESRI using SHP.
If creating a GEODB is not going to be possible I was thinking to create a mapper application.

which when the user runs - it creates SHP files with a mapping data file which identifies the Alias of each field name associated.

If you have any better ideas that would be fantastic.