Crazy idea... what about GeoPackage straight in core for 2.12?

Crazy idea... what about GeoPackage straight in core for 2.12?

geowolf
Hi,
I was thinking about the current idea of splitting the geopackage support into several
modules, one store, one WFS output (extension), one WPS output (extension), one WMS output
(community, as written its dangerous for the server stability).

Well, given the importance of the format... what about having the store part as a core component
starting with 2.12? Given it's an OGC standard, it's a bridge we'll have to cross anyways.

Opinions?

Regards,

Andrea Aime

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Crazy idea... what about GeoPackage straight in core for 2.12?

Ian Turton
I saw an interesting talk at foss4ge on a proposed extension to geopackage to store sld and ows context in the package as a separate table. This would allow an easy way to migrate a set of styled data from Qgis to geoserver directly.

If we were to implement this having geopackage in core would make it much easier.

Ian

On 26 Jul 2017 19:10, "Andrea Aime" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I was thinking about the current idea of splitting the geopackage support into several
modules, one store, one WFS output (extension), one WPS output (extension), one WMS output
(community, as written its dangerous for the server stability).

Well, given the importance of the format... what about having the store part as a core component
starting with 2.12? Given it's an OGC standard, it's a bridge we'll have to cross anyways.

Opinions?

Regards,

Andrea Aime

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Makes sense to me. Can we get it done before the freeze?

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 27/07/17 05:08, Andrea Aime wrote:

> [...]
> the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
> proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
> (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
> Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
> copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
> strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
> immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
> information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
> does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
> completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
> made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:57 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
Makes sense to me. Can we get it done before the freeze?

Well, the nice thing is that we really just need to add a dependency to the store in core
to have a basic setup going.
And maybe a custom panel (reusing  the shapefile one) to point have a file browser
allowing the usage of .gpkg files?

Cheers
Andrea

Andrea Aime

==
==

[...]

Brad Hards
> Hi,
> I was thinking about the current idea of splitting the geopackage
> support into several
> modules, one store, one WFS output (extension), one WPS output
> (extension), one WMS output
> (community, as written its dangerous for the server stability).
>
> Well, given the importance of the format... what about having the
> store part as a core component
> starting with 2.12? Given it's an OGC standard, it's a bridge we'll have
> to cross anyways.
>
> Opinions?
I worry about the stability of the format. GeoPackage 1.2 isn't actually
approved yet, and the changes from 1.1 are substantive (not just a patch):
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=74224&version=1 for the
release notes.

I think that extension would be better for 2.12 for store, and the outputs
might even be better as remaining in community given the 1.1 -> 1.2
transition.

Brad

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Brad Hards <[hidden email]> wrote:
I worry about the stability of the format. GeoPackage 1.2 isn't actually
approved yet, and the changes from 1.1 are substantive (not just a patch):
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=74224&version=1 for the
release notes.

Oh dear... and it will take some time before someone funds support for 1.2 once is out.
However, OGC cannot really expect people to just throw away all the 1.1 geopackages
or suddenly have all software switch to that version no?

The adoption of 1.2 in actual software as the preferred version might take years, should
we really treat that a concern not to have it as supported?
If it goes like with other specs, by the time one gets some significant foothold in the market, OGC
has created the N+1 version... it just never ends :-p

Cheers
Andrea

Andrea Aime

==