Could the list be changed so reply to will default to the list???

Could the list be changed so reply to will default to the list???

Garthan
Because the way the list is setup my mail client says the reply to is
just one user...
so I have to go out of my way to send just to the list or... send to the
list and the person and anyone cc'd
doubling up.. or... accidently send just to one person.

I am on about 10 different lists .. this is the only one with these
settings.

Re: Could the list be changed so reply to will default to the list???

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 12:21:34PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
> Because the way the list is setup my mail client says the reply to is
> just one user...

Yes. This behavior is intentional. Using the "Reply-to-List" feature of
your mail client will help here, if your client has one. If it does not,
I'm sorry that it does not.

In general, I feel more comfortable with responses accidentally not
going to the list than I do with responses meant for a single person
accidentally going to the list.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: Could the list be changed so reply to will default to the list???

Tim Schaub-2
Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 12:21:34PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
>> Because the way the list is setup my mail client says the reply to is
>> just one user...
>
> Yes. This behavior is intentional. Using the "Reply-to-List" feature of
> your mail client will help here, if your client has one. If it does not,
> I'm sorry that it does not.
>
> In general, I feel more comfortable with responses accidentally not
> going to the list than I do with responses meant for a single person
> accidentally going to the list.
>
> Regards,

I agree with Lance here.  Personally, I'd like it if subscribers
addresses were never exposed.  This is a list - not a tea party.

I get tired of ditching addresses because folks include a personal
address in the text of the reply and spam bots pick it up.

I think if people want personal communication, they should use different
means to get addresses and initiate a conversation.  If you have an
issue, you address it to the list.  If you want to respond to an issue,
you address it to the list.  A person might also want to respond to an
issue without opening themselves up to unsolicited personal responses.

(And though I wish "get a new browser" were a valid solution at times, I
don't think "get a new email client" is a good solution here.)

Just another opinion.
Tim

Re: Could the list be changed so reply to will default to the list???

Erik Uzureau-3
I would like to refer us all to the wise, wise words of Karl Fogel:

On 7/16/07, Tim Schaub <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 12:21:34PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
> >> Because the way the list is setup my mail client says the reply to is
> >> just one user...
> >
> > Yes. This behavior is intentional. Using the "Reply-to-List" feature of
> > your mail client will help here, if your client has one. If it does not,
> > I'm sorry that it does not.
> >
> > In general, I feel more comfortable with responses accidentally not
> > going to the list than I do with responses meant for a single person
> > accidentally going to the list.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> I agree with Lance here.  Personally, I'd like it if subscribers
> addresses were never exposed.  This is a list - not a tea party.
>
> I get tired of ditching addresses because folks include a personal
> address in the text of the reply and spam bots pick it up.
>
> I think if people want personal communication, they should use different
> means to get addresses and initiate a conversation.  If you have an
> issue, you address it to the list.  If you want to respond to an issue,
> you address it to the list.  A person might also want to respond to an
> issue without opening themselves up to unsolicited personal responses.
>
> (And though I wish "get a new browser" were a valid solution at times, I
> don't think "get a new email client" is a good solution here.)
>
> Just another opinion.
> Tim

Re: Could the list be changed so reply to will default to the list???

Tim Schaub-2
As suggested in the article, I don't think we should spend much time on
this - as it seems the list managers have made a decision and it is not
really a valid topic.

However, I have an issue that I'd like to air.

The sign-up page doesn't say much more than "this is a private list,
which means that the list of members is not available to non-members."
One can assume that it is publicly logged since you can search the
archives without subscribing.  In signing up for such a list, I think
most people would believe that while conversation topics are public,
subscribers addresses are private.

I think this is a great setup.  Since we know how hard documentation is,
it is critical that these lists be publicly archived.

Since we also know how much time it takes to manage email, I also like
the idea that I get to chose what sort of mail I receive.

My problem is with the violation of that statement above "the list of
members is not available to non-members."  Ok, so maybe the whole list
isn't available at once.  But every time you post a message, you expose
your address to clients who may include it in the plain text of a response.

For example, in Erik's response to the list, there is my address, in
plan text, available to the world:

http://openlayers.org/pipermail/dev/2007-July/001040.html

Now you might say, "look at that tricky address munging, how could
anybody parse an address from that?"

Anyway, it's not worth going on.  Were it up to a vote, I would vote to
keep subscribers addresses private.