Correcting Landsat SLC-Off imagery

Ned Horning
Hi - I was wondering if anyone out there is using OSSIM to fill gaps in Landsat
SLC-Off imagery. I'm researching different software packages that do this and
am surprised and the paucity of what is out there. This will be a much sought
after algorithm since USGS started allowing free access to the Landsat 7 archive
and they stopped providing gap-filled SLC-Off processing options. I have some
code modules from the system that USGS used to use but I expect a good deal
of work is needed to make it a standalone package.

All the best,

Ned

Re: Correcting Landsat SLC-Off imagery

Garrett Potts
Hello Ned:

Very interesting.  Have you started any work on it yet?

Take care

Garrett Potts

On Nov 6, 2008, at 8:14 AM, Ned Horning wrote:

> Hi - I was wondering if anyone out there is using OSSIM to fill gaps
> in Landsat
> SLC-Off imagery. I'm researching different software packages that do
> this and
> am surprised and the paucity of what is out there. This will be a
> much sought
> after algorithm since USGS started allowing free access to the
> Landsat 7 archive
> and they stopped providing gap-filled SLC-Off processing options. I
> have some
> code modules from the system that USGS used to use but I expect a
> good deal
> of work is needed to make it a standalone package.
>
> All the best,
>
> Ned

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: Correcting Landsat SLC-Off imagery

Ned Horning-2
Garrett,

Hi - Up to now I have only been researching options (existing software
and algorithms) but haven't done any coding. I'd put something together
in-house but we don't have the resources available to do it in the
near-term.

Ned

Garrett Potts wrote:

> Hello Ned:
>
> Very interesting.  Have you started any work on it yet?
>

> Take care
>
> Garrett Potts
>
> On Nov 6, 2008, at 8:14 AM, Ned Horning wrote:
>

>> Hi - I was wondering if anyone out there is using OSSIM to fill gaps
>> in Landsat
>> SLC-Off imagery. I'm researching different software packages that do
>> this and
>> am surprised and the paucity of what is out there. This will be a
>> much sought
>> after algorithm since USGS started allowing free access to the
>> Landsat 7 archive
>> and they stopped providing gap-filled SLC-Off processing options. I
>> have some
>> code modules from the system that USGS used to use but I expect a
>> good deal
>> of work is needed to make it a standalone package.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Ned

>> challenge
>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>> great prizes
>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>> the world

Re: Correcting Landsat SLC-Off imagery

David Burken
So I have to asks a stupid question (I know, look it up).  What is
SLC-Off imagery?  Is there sample data available?

Dave

Garrett Potts wrote:

> Hello Ned:
>
> Very interesting.  Have you started any work on it yet?
>

> Take care
>
> Garrett Potts
>
> On Nov 6, 2008, at 8:14 AM, Ned Horning wrote:
>

>> Hi - I was wondering if anyone out there is using OSSIM to fill gaps
>> in Landsat
>> SLC-Off imagery. I'm researching different software packages that do
>> this and
>> am surprised and the paucity of what is out there. This will be a
>> much sought
>> after algorithm since USGS started allowing free access to the
>> Landsat 7 archive
>> and they stopped providing gap-filled SLC-Off processing options. I
>> have some
>> code modules from the system that USGS used to use but I expect a
>> good deal
>> of work is needed to make it a standalone package.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Ned

>> challenge
>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>> great prizes
>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>> the world

Re: Correcting Landsat SLC-Off imagery

Hernán De Angelis
Dave,

Landsat 7 SLC-off is imagery acquired after the failure of the Scan
Line Corrector of Landsat 7 in 2003.

Check here:

http://landsat.usgs.gov/products_slcoffbackground.php

Cheers,

Hernán

2008/11/8 David Burken <[hidden email]>:

> So I have to asks a stupid question (I know, look it up).  What is
> SLC-Off imagery?  Is there sample data available?
>
> Dave
>

> Garrett Potts wrote:
>> Hello Ned:
>>
>> Very interesting.  Have you started any work on it yet?
>>

>> Take care
>>
>> Garrett Potts
>>
>> On Nov 6, 2008, at 8:14 AM, Ned Horning wrote:
>>

>>> Hi - I was wondering if anyone out there is using OSSIM to fill gaps
>>> in Landsat
>>> SLC-Off imagery. I'm researching different software packages that do
>>> this and
>>> am surprised and the paucity of what is out there. This will be a
>>> much sought
>>> after algorithm since USGS started allowing free access to the
>>> Landsat 7 archive
>>> and they stopped providing gap-filled SLC-Off processing options. I
>>> have some
>>> code modules from the system that USGS used to use but I expect a
>>> good deal
>>> of work is needed to make it a standalone package.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Ned

>>> challenge
>>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>>> great prizes
>>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>>> the world
>>> www.ossim.org
>>> Ossim-developer mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ossim-developer

Hernán De Angelis
Linux user # 397217

Re: Correcting Landsat SLC-Off imagery

Ned Horning-2
Dave,

SCL-Off data are Landsat 7 data that were acquired after 31 May 2003
which is when there was a mechanical failure of the scanning device on
the sensor. A description is at:
http://catalogos.conae.gov.ar/landsat/usgslandsatproject.htm. The
resulting images have bands or gaps of zero-fill that get wider toward
the edges of the images. I think over 20% of the image is lost due to
the problem. Since the Landsat 7 archive is free now you can go to
GLOVIS (http://glovis.usgs.gov) and download an image. Most of the image
available from USGS need to be ordered then downloaded a few days later
but the ones that can be downloaded right away are noted by a
"Dowloadable" text box in the upper left corner of the Viewer.

Ned