Copy a raster

john.polo
QGIS Users,

New QGIS user here, as well as a novice at GIS, with what is probably a
basic question. If I want to copy a raster (.tif), should I just Cntl-C
the file in the folder and paste and rename the copied file back into
the folder? In ArcGIS I'd export the data and make all the copies I
want. (Not griping against QGIS, just trying to give a better indication
of what I intended to do) I looked in the edit menu and couldn't find an
export or copy function. The edit toggle doesn't activate the layer for
me to copy like I would a polygon. I checked the raster menu and wasn't
sure which function would make a copy of the raster.

John Polo

Re: Copy a raster

David Fawcett
Try right-clicking on the layer in QGIS and selecting 'Save As...'

You have the option of saving the data in different file formats too.

David.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM, john.polo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> QGIS Users,
>
> New QGIS user here, as well as a novice at GIS, with what is probably a
> basic question. If I want to copy a raster (.tif), should I just Cntl-C the
> file in the folder and paste and rename the copied file back into the
> folder? In ArcGIS I'd export the data and make all the copies I want. (Not
> griping against QGIS, just trying to give a better indication of what I
> intended to do) I looked in the edit menu and couldn't find an export or
> copy function. The edit toggle doesn't activate the layer for me to copy
> like I would a polygon. I checked the raster menu and wasn't sure which
> function would make a copy of the raster.
>
> John Polo

Re: Copy a raster

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:33 AM, David Fawcett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try right-clicking on the layer in QGIS and selecting 'Save As...'
>
> You have the option of saving the data in different file formats too.

This currently only works for vector layers.

> David.
>
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM, john.polo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> QGIS Users,
>>
>> New QGIS user here, as well as a novice at GIS, with what is probably a
>> basic question. If I want to copy a raster (.tif), should I just Cntl-C the
>> file in the folder and paste and rename the copied file back into the
>> folder? In ArcGIS I'd export the data and make all the copies I want. (Not
>> griping against QGIS, just trying to give a better indication of what I
>> intended to do) I looked in the edit menu and couldn't find an export or
>> copy function. The edit toggle doesn't activate the layer for me to copy
>> like I would a polygon. I checked the raster menu and wasn't sure which
>> function would make a copy of the raster.

First ensure the 'GdalTools' plugin is enabled in your copy of QGIS
(Plugins Menu -> Manage Plugins -> Tick Gdal Tools).

Then to copy a raster do: Raster Menu -> Conversion -> Translate

>From the translate dialog, you can output can secify various output
options, including the desired format and then write the new dataset
out to disk.

Hope that helps!

Regards

Tim
>> John Polo

Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Copy a raster

Jim(tm)
Try right-clicking the layer in the table of contents and then save as...
I'm pretty sure that's the QGIS equivalent of Data > Export

Re: Copy a raster

Alister Hood
"Save as" is only for vector layers.
If you want to copy a raster layer, use the normal tools you'd use to copy any other file on your operating system.
If you want to translate it to another file format or another CRS, use the tools in the raster menu.

Tim Sutton wrote:

>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM, john.polo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> QGIS Users,
>>>
>>> New QGIS user here, as well as a novice at GIS, with what is probably a
>>> basic question. If I want to copy a raster (.tif), should I just Cntl-C the
>>> file in the folder and paste and rename the copied file back into the
>>> folder? In ArcGIS I'd export the data and make all the copies I want. ...
> First ensure the 'GdalTools' plugin is enabled in your copy of QGIS
> (Plugins Menu -> Manage Plugins -> Tick Gdal Tools).
>
> Then to copy a raster do: Raster Menu -> Conversion -> Translate
>
> From the translate dialog, you can output can secify various output
> options, including the desired format and then write the new dataset
> out to disk.
>

> Hope that helps!
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

Tim, thanks for the reply. Chances are I'll be posting with questions
about GDAL before long as well. :)

John