Converting MDB File With Unicode Characters

Converting MDB File With Unicode Characters

Tomer
Hey,

I'm using C# wrapper of GDAL and I'm having a problem converting MDB file that contains unicode characters.

Lets take for example conversion to KML file, non-English characters are replaced by '?'

How do I solve it?

Re: Converting MDB File With Unicode Characters

Even Rouault-2
Selon Tomer <[hidden email]>:

> Hey,
>
> I'm using C# wrapper of GDAL and I'm having a problem converting MDB file
> that contains unicode characters.
>
> Lets take for example conversion to KML file, non-English characters are
> replaced by '?'

Did you try with ogr2ogr first ? To check if the issue is in the ODBC driver (is
that the one that is used actually, since both the ODBC or Java-based MDB driver
could be used), or with the C# bindings, or with your code

> How do I solve it?

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Converting MDB File With Unicode Characters

Tomer
i tried the vector utility program "ogr2ogr" to convert mdb to kml and still non-English characters are replaced by '?'

Selon Tomer <[hidden email]>:

> i tried the vector utility program "ogr2ogr" to convert mdb to kml and still
> non-English characters are replaced by '?'

So the problem is likely in the ODBC driver that doesn't return UTF-8 encoding.

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Converting MDB File With Unicode Characters

Tomer
Do you have any idea for a possible solution?

Le lundi 25 août 2014 16:45:00, Tomer a écrit :
> Do you have any idea for a possible solution?

What is the output of ogrinfo on the MDB ? In which encoding does it return
its results ?

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Converting MDB File With Unicode Characters

Tomer
The ogrinfo display non-English characters as '?'. I'm not sure in which encoding it return its results. (Is there any way to check the encoding?)

Example for ogrinfo output:
                  .
OGRFeature<poly_mdb_23>:4
OBJECTID <Integer> = 3
                   .
                   .
????_?? <String> = -?????
                   .

Selon Tomer <[hidden email]>:

> The ogrinfo display non-English characters as '?'. I'm not sure in which
> encoding it return its results. (Is there any way to check the encoding?)

For example, if you do "ogrinfo the_arguments > somefile.txt" and open it with
Notepad++, you can try different options in the Encoding menu to find which one
displays the file correctly.

> Example for ogrinfo output:
>                   .
> OGRFeature<poly_mdb_23>:4
> OBJECTID <Integer> = 3
>                    .
>                    .
> ????_?? <String> = -?????
>                    .

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Converting MDB File With Unicode Characters

Tomer
i tried different options in the Encoding menu but none displayed the file correctly. I think the problem is caused by incorrect reading of the mdb file made ​​by the driver.

Le mardi 26 août 2014 12:33:49, Tomer a écrit :
> i tried different options in the Encoding menu but none displayed the file
> correctly. I think the problem is caused by incorrect reading of the mdb
> file made ​​by the driver.

You could open a ticket in Trac (see "Submit a new bug report" on
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki) with a sample mdb attached (attachment size
is limited, so potentially just an extract of it that demonstrate the issue)

http://www.spatialys.com