Contributing to the Portuguese from Portugal Translation

Contributing to the Portuguese from Portugal Translation

Eduardo Castanho

Hi !

My name is Eduardo and i work for the Portuguese Weather Institute.

We are currently creating a catalog using Geonetwork, the target audience for this catalog is the Portuguese population and this require that is language is in Portuguese from Portugal.

After reviewing some past emails from this malling list i would like to try  clarify one question :

"""Hi Filipe,

Does it make sense to keep a separated Brazil and Portugal Portuguese?

I have no idea. In Spanish we can handle with a neutral Spanish. And
it is easier to maintain (you only have to worry on one translation).
Is there such thing as a neutral Portuguese? Does it make sense to
you?"""@ María Arias de Reyna

Portuguese from Portugal(PT_pt) and Portuguese from Brazil(PT_br) are the same language but uses different terms for many things.

Example:

the common words 'user' and '(to) download' in PT_pt is 'utilizador' and 'descarregar' but  in PT_br is 'usuario' and 'baixar'

Although we speak the same language, the terms differ  and, in my view, for giving a good user experience is necessary to differentiate then.

For my project we are translating the Geonetwork interface to PT_pt, we would like to contribute this work to the project.

I already asked to become a translator in Transifex  with my personal account ('SwitchPT'),

In Transifex the PR_br translation is almost done , I would like to use it as  a base for our translation, because although some terms differ many don't and this will make our work easier and faster

In conclusion, what i am asking is to join PT_pt  translation team and access to PT_br translation

If this not possible, at least can someone send me the PT_br translation?

Thanks,

My best regards,

--
Eduardo Castanho
Bolseiro Investigação Cientifica

Re: Contributing to the Portuguese from Portugal Translation

rsena

Dear Eduardo,

My name is Ricardo Sena and I belong to the company WKT-SI that’s developing a new version of SNIG based on GeoNetwork. Because we are using GeoNetwork in several of ours SDI projects, about 2 years ago I began collaborating on the translation for PT in the various components of GN, especially the ones that have to do with search and editor. This translation was made in PT neutral, I would suggest that we continue in that translation (https://www.transifex.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/language/pt/).

Briefly we will integrate on transifex the translation that we have been making within the SNIG project (e.g., administration). Regardless of the translation work that was done, it would be pleasant to have more people collaborating and participating on what remains to be concluded in the translation for PT. I know other people that are also adopting GN and that might be interested in participating in the translation, with the articulation of our efforts in this job it will be easier to accomplish this task.

Feel free to ask me anything if you have any difficulty to deploy the Portuguese translation in your GN.

Thank you

Best regards,

Ricardo Sena

Ricardo Sena

Managing Partner

logo_mini_wkt

Email: [hidden email]

Tlm: 912 287 483

Site: http://www.wkt.pt

Startup Portimão, Sítio do Escampadinho, Mexilhoeira Grande, Box 1

8500-148 Portimão