Contributing to PostGIS development

Jo Cook
Hi UK folk,

Regine Obe, one of the core PostGIS developers, has recently created a Patreon account to assist with funding the aspects of her PostGIS work that are not covered by client funding. See https://www.patreon.com/reginaobe

Firstly, I'd like to propose that we as the UK chapter commit to funding $50 a month for 12 months, with the option to renew at the end of that time. We have the funds to do that at present. If there are objections, please contact me, either on or off list.

Secondly, I'd like to urge other organisations out there that benefit from PostGIS in any way to consider contributing to Regina's Patreon too. If you have trouble convincing those that hold the purse strings to contribute to an individual's Patreon account, then talk to us, as I'm sure we can come to some arrangement where you donate to OSGeo:UK and we donate to Regina on your behalf. She is trying to raise $800 a month, and it would be great if the UK Open Source community could help her meet that target.

Finally, we're going to start thinking about some guidelines for how we might decide to fund other individual developers, should the opportunity arise. I'll send out a link to a google document that we can use for editing purposes within the next few days.

All the best

Jo

--
Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek

--
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech

Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Contributing to PostGIS development

McDonaldR

I think that’s an excellent idea, Jo.

I will ask our budget holders again about opportunities to contribute to the projects and applications we use.

Ross

[...]

This message is strictly confidential. If you have received this in error, please inform the sender and remove it from your system. If received in error you may not copy, print, forward or use it or any attachment in any way. This message is not capable of creating a legal contract or a binding representation and does not represent the views of Angus Council. Emails may be monitored for security and network management reasons. Messages containing inappropriate content may be intercepted. Angus Council does not accept any liability for any harm that may be caused to the recipient system or data on it by this message or any attachment.

Re: Contributing to PostGIS development

OSGeo UK
I am, of course, supportive of OSGeo:UK committing some funding to PostGIS via Regina Obe

Picking up on Jo’s suggestion re encouraging others organisations to contribute to PostGIS and Ross’ response. Perhaps we could create a page on the OSGeo:UK web site that could act as a focal point for those trying to encourage their organisation or customers to contribute to the OSGeo projects? I wrote a blog post around this topic There is no such thing as a free lunch and also presented at FOSS4G 2016 There’s no such thing as a free lunch – the movie - some of the content could be repurposed.

Cheers

__________________
Steven Feldman
Treasurer OSGeo:UK

On 4 Apr 2018, at 08:11, McDonaldR <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think that’s an excellent idea, Jo.

I will ask our budget holders again about opportunities to contribute to the projects and applications we use.

Ross

Re: Contributing to PostGIS development

Sam Franklin-2
+1 for OSGeo:UK supporting via that patreon account.

I was curious. Here's a list of the postgis contributors https://postgis.net/docs/postgis_introduction.html#credits_core_present

@Jo, agreed. If there are, at some future point, a number of of individual developer patreon/other accounts, we might need some management on where funds go.

Cheers

---
Sam Franklin

On 4 April 2018 at 09:18, OSGeo:UK <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In the absence of any -1’s are we good to go?

Steven Feldman
Treasurer OSGeo:UK