Consistency in adding layers (especially OGC)

Consistency in adding layers (especially OGC)

Jonathan Moules-2
Hi List,
This may be too late for 2.2 (some are features), but something that's bugging me no end is the complete lack of consistency between all the dialogs for the OGC services. Below I've created a somewhat exhaustive list of differences-that-shouldn't-be between the way they behave - mostly the add-layer dialog.

However, rather than rectify the issues, would it maybe make more sense to just create a single new dialog from scratch and use that instead? Ideally for all formats, but if necessary, just the OGC stuff.

  What are the plans relating to add-layer dialogs? Is there a preferred option? Or will/desire to create a universal dialog for adding layers?

Cheers,
Jonathan

-------------

Adding Layers:

Add/Close buttons
For WCS these are the wrong way around!

Layer Title|Name:
- For WMS, WCS - use the layer Title rather than the layer Name when adding to the layers list (WFS & WMTS already do this).
- Either add "Use title for layer name" checkbox to WMS/WMTS, WCS, or remove from WFS.
- WMS seems to allow you to fill in a "Layer name" - add to other dialogs? If so, make it more obvious what it does.

Filter:
Add Filter function for WMS, WMTS, WCS (already exists for WFS).

Differentiate windows:

Tabs:
WCS: Remove "Layers" tab as pointless.
WMS/WMTS - I have no idea what "Server Search" or "Layer order" do - never seen them active.

CRS:
All - Make CRS section same between dialogs.
WMS - why is "Tile Size" and "Feature limit for GetFeatureInfo" inside the CRS box?

Format:
WCS or WMS/WMTS - Use same method for selecting format. One uses dropdown (WCS), one uses checkboxes. I guess WFS doesn't need this option.

Column list:
All - In list of layers, use same order of columns and same selection of columns.
WCS, WMS - Column widths autodetected. (Already done for WMTS, WFS)

Caching:
WCS / WFS - Offer same method for choosing caching settings.

Add Layer:
WFS - Don't close the dialog. Or Do close it for WMS/WMTS and WCS.

-------------
Create Connection:
WMS/WMTS - says "Create a new WMS connection" - should say WMTS too.
WCS/WFS - Referer option (in WMS already)
WFS - "Connection details" not in bold (is on WMS/WCS)

-------------

Metadata:
Following on from this ticket - http://hub.qgis.org/issues/8870 - suggested changes to layer properties -> Metadata:

WMS, WMTS and WCS:
 - Don't list entire Get Capabilities in properties, only the section for that particular layer. WFS already does this.

 - All OGC Services - Populate the Description/attribution/metadataURL from the GetCapabilities.

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Re: Consistency in adding layers (especially OGC)

Nathan Woodrow
Hey Jonathan,

Yes this is a bit of a known issue.  It has always been a goal of mine to try and tackle the issue of refactoring the whole lot into single dialog.    I have some early dialog mockups floating around that you might be able to find, although I would tweak it a bit now.

If you have some ideas for a new single UI it would be good to have a look, or even if you just have ideas on what you want to see.

- Nathan

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Jonathan Moules <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Nathan,
Unfortunately my talent lies with finding flaws and suggesting tweaks/improvements to things rather than designing UI's. I'm more than happy to offer feedback.

Is there any way to spur this along? We have a limited amount of commercial support (we're a local authority going through "austerity measures"- budgets dwindling); this would be good to see in 2.4 if possible.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On 28 January 2014 10:39, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

A Huarte
+1 to create an universal dialog for adding layers (or folder of files/layers)

I have resolved the same problem in a personal application integrating all formats and types in a single loading form.
Basically each provider offers a PropertyPage collection to build the ConnectionString that each provider know to open.

I attach a short video to show the idea (~2.5 mb).

http://www.filedropper.com/GenericCadgisLoadingDialog

Best Regards
Alvaro

Re: Consistency in adding layers (especially OGC)

A Huarte
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the interface is in Spanish, but I think you can guess the concept.

Alvaro

Re: Consistency in adding layers (especially OGC)

Radim Blazek-2
The QgsWCSSourceSelect was written as subclass of QgsOWSSourceSelect
with intention to use later the QgsOWSSourceSelect also for other
services but I never got time to finish that. I am not even sure if it
is the right way, maybe it is easier to just keep it visually in sync.

Radim

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Jonathan Moules
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  - Don't list entire Get Capabilities in properties, only the section for
> that particular layer. WFS already does this.
>
>  - All OGC Services - Populate the Description/attribution/metadataURL from
> the GetCapabilities.
>

> This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
> contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and
> should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or
> authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or
> disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error
> please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,
> including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording
> and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Re: Consistency in adding layers (especially OGC)

Hi Alvaro,
That seems really interesting, hopefully something similar thing can be created for QGIS. Your video shows how slick it can be.

I've created a fairly bland issue for this - http://hub.qgis.org/issues/9451
What's next?

Cheers,
Jonathan

On 28 January 2014 15:19, A Huarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to create an universal dialog for adding layers (or folder of files/layers)

I have resolved the same problem in a personal application integrating all formats and types in a single loading form.
Basically each provider offers a PropertyPage collection to build the ConnectionString that each provider know to open.

I attach a short video to show the idea (~2.5 mb).

Best Regards
Alvaro

Re: Consistency in adding layers (especially OGC)

A Huarte
Time to develop it
 :-)

Re: Consistency in adding layers (especially OGC)

Stott, James

I believe this is how uDig does it too.  Maybe good to have a look at uDig for inspiration as well?

http://www.ogcnetwork.net/img/ogcn/wfs_tut_02-adddatawfs.png