Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

Alexandre Neto
Hello all,

I'm working in a project that is creating a plugin for QGIS. The plugin is a metadata editor for a specific INSPIRE profile, and it uses the OWSLib package (currently 0.8.x I think).

OSWLib is now packed with QGIS, making it very convenient to use in plugins. Yet, using the OSGeo4w installer the user can install another version of OWSLib, but with another version (0.7.x). And in this case, our plugin fail to open, because it tries to use the 0.7 version instead the one packed inside QGIS.

Besides telling the user to uninstall the 0.7 version (the current workaround), is there a way to make sure that the plugin use the currect OSWLib version? Could someone point me to an example?

Thanks,

Alexandre Neto

Re: Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

pcav
Il 24/07/2015 12:35, Alexandre Neto ha scritto:

> OSWLib is now packed with QGIS, making it very convenient to use in
> plugins. Yet, using the OSGeo4w installer the user can install another
> version of OWSLib, but with another version (0.7.x). And in this case,
> our plugin fail to open, because it tries to use the 0.7 version instead
> the one packed inside QGIS.
>
> Besides telling the user to uninstall the 0.7 version (the current
> workaround), is there a way to make sure that the plugin use the currect
> OSWLib version? Could someone point me to an example?

Hi Alexandre,
this is a known issue: the internal lib should be removed, and the
shared one used instead. The main dev is aware of this, probabkly he
just need a hand.
Could you perhaps give a hand?
All the best, and thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

Alexandre Neto
Hello Paolo,

Em sex, 24 de jul de 2015 às 11:38, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Hi Alexandre,
this is a known issue: the internal lib should be removed, and the
shared one used instead. The main dev is aware of this, probabkly he
just need a hand.

Yet, the standalone version also needs to pack the library. And the linux and mac packages also need to include the library.

Could you perhaps give a hand?

I don't think I have enough skills to provide any valuable help in this matter.

Best regards,

Alexandre

All the best, and thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

Tom Kralidis
Hi: thanks for the info.  I believe this has been discussed in the
past w.r.t. dependency management of Python plugins in QGIS, but there
is no definitive approach yet.  For OWSLib we currently have this
tracked via http://hub.qgis.org/issues/13058.

The OSGeo4W OWSLib is not maintained / up to date AFAIK.

Currently in master we can OWSLib and it's dependencies in
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/master/python/ext-libs, which is not
ideal IMHO.

Not sure how to proceed here.  The best thing would be to remove all
OWSLib dependencies from the codebase and install during time of
building QGIS (pip/easy_install?), no matter what the platform, but
I'm not aware of the entire picture/build/package/release story.

Any suggestions on how best to handle this would be appreciated.

..Tom

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Paolo,
>
> Em sex, 24 de jul de 2015 às 11:38, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>>

>> Hi Alexandre,
>> this is a known issue: the internal lib should be removed, and the
>> shared one used instead. The main dev is aware of this, probabkly he
>> just need a hand.
>

> Yet, the standalone version also needs to pack the library. And the linux
> and mac packages also need to include the library.
>
>> Could you perhaps give a hand?
>

> I don't think I have enough skills to provide any valuable help in this
> matter.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alexandre
>

>> All the best, and thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
>> QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi Tom,

On 07/25/2015 02:17 PM, Tom Kralidis wrote:

> Hi: thanks for the info.  I believe this has been discussed in the
> past w.r.t. dependency management of Python plugins in QGIS, but there
> is no definitive approach yet.  For OWSLib we currently have this
> tracked via http://hub.qgis.org/issues/13058.
>
> The OSGeo4W OWSLib is not maintained / up to date AFAIK.
>
> Currently in master we can OWSLib and it's dependencies in
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/master/python/ext-libs, which is not
> ideal IMHO.
>
> Not sure how to proceed here.  The best thing would be to remove all
> OWSLib dependencies from the codebase and install during time of
> building QGIS (pip/easy_install?), no matter what the platform, but
> I'm not aware of the entire picture/build/package/release story.
>
> Any suggestions on how best to handle this would be appreciated.
Is it required as a buildtime dependency?

Assuming it is a runtime dependency

 * We can make sure it's installed by default with OSGeo4W
 * Add it as dependency to the proper linux package
 * You can check when you import it in your plugin
   and offer the user an information if he's missing
   a dependency but that should only happen in rare cases.

Currently there is no mechanism to auto-install packages from QGIS
(easy_install / pip) and having a proper solution that works
cross-platform will be a bigger undertaking.
And I don't think installing it build time will help because the build
machine is not necessarily the one which will later run the app.

What do you think?

.. Matthias

> ..Tom
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Paolo,
>>
>> Em sex, 24 de jul de 2015 às 11:38, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>
>> escreveu:
>>>
>>> Hi Alexandre,
>>> this is a known issue: the internal lib should be removed, and the
>>> shared one used instead. The main dev is aware of this, probabkly he
>>> just need a hand.
>>
>> Yet, the standalone version also needs to pack the library. And the linux
>> and mac packages also need to include the library.
>>
>>> Could you perhaps give a hand?
>>
>> I don't think I have enough skills to provide any valuable help in this
>> matter.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Alexandre
>>
>>> All the best, and thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
>>> QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html

Re: Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Matthias,

On Sat, 25. Jul 2015 at 14:55:53 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how best to handle this would be appreciated.

> Is it required as a buildtime dependency?

No.  It's only required for metasearch - like all the other stuff in ext-libs -
except pyspatialite.

> Assuming it is a runtime dependency

>  * We can make sure it's installed by default with OSGeo4W

No, it's too old in osgeo4w.

>  * Add it as dependency to the proper linux package

It not available or not uptodate enough on all distributions.  That why we have
it in qgis.  That's also why osgeo4w is not uptodate - only qgis would require
it in osgeo4w.  And maintaining it in both would just duplicate the work.

>  * You can check when you import it in your plugin and offer the user an
>    information if he's missing a dependency but that should only happen in rare
>    cases.

Well as metasearch is a core plugin, qgis should ship  everything required (or
depend on stuff that is available everywhere).  That's why all the stuff was
added...

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50