Configuring Remote Database with Geonode

Jio

Configuring Remote Database with Geonode

Jio

Hi All,

I have a quick question regarding geonode software architecture.

We have installed geonode (standard deployment) on a clean linux server which we have hired and is located outside our organization. However, we already have a postgresql database on Windows server maintained at our organization. Is it possible to have geonode use the postgresql database (on windows server) in our organization so that we do not have to maintain two databases ?  If possible , kindly provide documentation link for further information on configuration steps.

Regards,

Jio

Re: Configuring Remote Database with Geonode

DanielV
Hi Jio,

I don't have documentation ready for this but it's possible to publish data that is hosted in another database. This is how i do it - not sure if it's the most correct way

The steps are:
1) In GeoServer, create a store pointing to the PostGIS database that has the layers
2) In GeoServer, create and publish new layers that are contained inside your new store
3) In your geonode machine, run the command `geonode updatelayers --skip-geonode-registered`. This command will scan your GeoServer for new layers that are not registered in GeoNode and publish them.
4) Fill in metadata / user / access permisison information for each new layer created

Cheers
Daniel

Jio

Re: Configuring Remote Database with Geonode

Jio

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your input. Appreciate it !

I have few things to clarify here:

We have just started using Geonode so we do not have much data in Geonode database (on linux server). So, I was thinking  if it is possible to configure the postgresql database on windows server as the main/only Geonode database.

Essentially, Geonode creates two databases ‘geonode’ and ‘geonode_data’. These can be migrated to DB on windows server . Point the Geoserver datastore to this DB.  And make changes in local_settings.py. In my understanding this will enable remote DB on windows server as the default database for Geonode. Please, correct me if I am wrong .

Regards,

Jio

Re: Configuring Remote Database with Geonode

DanielV
Hi Jio,

I'm not sure about that. Like you, I'm just a user so I don't know if it's possible to move the database to some other host.

Cheers
Daniel

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 5:01 AM Joshi, Jigeeshu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your input. Appreciate it !

I have few things to clarify here:

We have just started using Geonode so we do not have much data in Geonode database (on linux server). So, I was thinking  if it is possible to configure the postgresql database on windows server as the main/only Geonode database.

Essentially, Geonode creates two databases ‘geonode’ and ‘geonode_data’. These can be migrated to DB on windows server . Point the Geoserver datastore to this DB.  And make changes in local_settings.py. In my understanding this will enable remote DB on windows server as the default database for Geonode. Please, correct me if I am wrong .

Regards,

Jio

Re: Configuring Remote Database with Geonode

davekennewell
Hi Jio,

Yes, the method you describe should work and enable you to run geonode on a different server to your databases. Many instances are setup this way.

Good luck!
Dave

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 16:13 DanielV [via OSGeo.org], <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Configuring-Remote-Database-with-Geonode-tp5361694p5361875.html
To unsubscribe from GeoNode users, click here.
NAML

Re: Configuring Remote Database with Geonode

mentaer

Hi,

sorry for the late response. Possible yes, but perhaps not recommendable. I have the DB on a different server (but same hub); and I find the response times by GeoNode/GeoServer, sometimes quite slow: because Geoserver has to fech the data from the Postgis database on the other server to render... and this seems to be a bottle neck if you have large layers (200-300MB).

cheers,

stefan

On 4/18/18 09:21, Dave Kennewell wrote:
[...]

Paolo Corti
It could be pre-seeded in GWC, though

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Stefan Steiniger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for the late response. Possible yes, but perhaps not recommendable. I
> have the DB on a different server (but same hub); and I find the response
> times by GeoNode/GeoServer, sometimes quite slow: because Geoserver has to
> fech the data from the Postgis database on the other server to render... and
> this seems to be a bottle neck if you have large layers (200-300MB).
>
> cheers,
>
> stefan
>

> On 4/18/18 09:21, Dave Kennewell wrote:
>
> Hi Jio,
>
> Yes, the method you describe should work and enable you to run geonode on a
> different server to your databases. Many instances are setup this way.
>
> Good luck!
> Dave
>
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 16:13 DanielV [via OSGeo.org],
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jio,
>>
>> I'm not sure about that. Like you, I'm just a user so I don't know if it's
>> possible to move the database to some other host.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Daniel
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 5:01 AM Joshi, Jigeeshu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>

>>> Thank you for your input. Appreciate it !
>>>

>>> I have few things to clarify here:
>>>
>>> We have just started using Geonode so we do not have much data in Geonode
>>> database (on linux server). So, I was thinking  if it is possible to
>>> configure the postgresql database on windows server as the main/only Geonode
>>> database.
>>>
>>> Essentially, Geonode creates two databases ‘geonode’ and ‘geonode_data’.
>>> These can be migrated to DB on windows server . Point the Geoserver
>>> datastore to this DB.  And make changes in local_settings.py. In my
>>> understanding this will enable remote DB on windows server as the default
>>> database for Geonode. Please, correct me if I am wrong .
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Jio

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer