Conference Committee Membership Nominations

Conference Committee Membership Nominations

David William Bitner-3
I would like to make a couple nominations to the committee.

I would like to nominate Darrell Fuhriman who did an amazing job as chair of the 2014 global event in Portland 2014.

I would also like to nominate Eli Adam who was also part of the 2014 Conference Committee. Eli has also shown great interest in this committee and a clear willingness to help drive the work of this committee forward with great attention to detail.

Sincerely,

David

Re: Conference Committee Membership Nominations

jmckenna
Administrator
A word of advice, when I was the Conference Chair for so long, I made
sure to keep the balance of the spatial distribution of members.  For
example, the current list of members has 8 based in NorthAmerica, and 8
based in Europe/Asia.  This spatial aspect becomes very important when
voting.

Of course, I never put this into writing, but, it is something that I
always made sure of.

-jeff

On 2015-01-05 11:30 AM, David William Bitner wrote:

> I would like to make a couple nominations to the committee.
>
> I would like to nominate Darrell Fuhriman who did an amazing job as
> chair of the 2014 global event in Portland 2014.
>
> I would also like to nominate Eli Adam who was also part of the 2014
> Conference Committee. Eli has also shown great interest in this
> committee and a clear willingness to help drive the work of this
> committee forward with great attention to detail.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> David

Re: Conference Committee Membership Nominations

stevenfeldman
Would it be workable to invite all past chairs to join the conference committee?

It would capture their wealth of experience and would also align membership with the regions hosting conferences. Inevitably some people will not want to be involved and most will either lapse or stand down after a few years ensuring some rotation on the committee and a limit to its size
______
Steven

On 5 Jan 2015, at 15:39, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

A word of advice, when I was the Conference Chair for so long, I made sure to keep the balance of the spatial distribution of members.  For example, the current list of members has 8 based in NorthAmerica, and 8 based in Europe/Asia.  This spatial aspect becomes very important when voting.

Of course, I never put this into writing, but, it is something that I always made sure of.

-jeff

Re: Conference Committee Membership Nominations

jmckenna
Administrator
Yes, as Conference Chair that is exactly what I would do, automatically
invite the recent past conference chair.  Nowadays we have regional
events, and yes they too should be represented on the Conference Committee.

-jeff

On 2015-01-05 11:52 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:

> Would it be workable to invite all past chairs to join the conference
> committee?
>
> It would capture their wealth of experience and would also align
> membership with the regions hosting conferences. Inevitably some people
> will not want to be involved and most will either lapse or stand down
> after a few years ensuring some rotation on the committee and a limit to
> its size
> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 5 Jan 2015, at 15:39, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> A word of advice, when I was the Conference Chair for so long, I made
>> sure to keep the balance of the spatial distribution of members.  For
>> example, the current list of members has 8 based in NorthAmerica, and
>> 8 based in Europe/Asia.  This spatial aspect becomes very important
>> when voting.
>>
>> Of course, I never put this into writing, but, it is something that I
>> always made sure of.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2015-01-05 11:30 AM, David William Bitner wrote:
>>> I would like to make a couple nominations to the committee.
>>>
>>> I would like to nominate Darrell Fuhriman who did an amazing job as
>>> chair of the 2014 global event in Portland 2014.
>>>
>>> I would also like to nominate Eli Adam who was also part of the 2014
>>> Conference Committee. Eli has also shown great interest in this
>>> committee and a clear willingness to help drive the work of this
>>> committee forward with great attention to detail.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> David

Re: Conference Committee Membership Nominations

Cameron Shorter
I have a lot of respect for opinions expressed by both Darell and Eli.
I'm +1 for both joining the committee.

I note Jeff's comments about regional diversity. I don't think it should
block invitation of Darell and Eli to join the committee, but rather
should be a reason for inviting chairs of regional events to join the
conference committee.

On 6/01/2015 2:55 am, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Yes, as Conference Chair that is exactly what I would do,
> automatically invite the recent past conference chair. Nowadays we
> have regional events, and yes they too should be represented on the
> Conference Committee.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2015-01-05 11:52 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:
>> Would it be workable to invite all past chairs to join the conference
>> committee?
>>
>> It would capture their wealth of experience and would also align
>> membership with the regions hosting conferences. Inevitably some people
>> will not want to be involved and most will either lapse or stand down
>> after a few years ensuring some rotation on the committee and a limit to
>> its size
>> ______
>> Steven
>>

>>> On 5 Jan 2015, at 15:39, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> A word of advice, when I was the Conference Chair for so long, I made
>>> sure to keep the balance of the spatial distribution of members.  For
>>> example, the current list of members has 8 based in NorthAmerica, and
>>> 8 based in Europe/Asia.  This spatial aspect becomes very important
>>> when voting.
>>>
>>> Of course, I never put this into writing, but, it is something that I
>>> always made sure of.
>>>
>>> -jeff

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: Conference Committee Membership Nominations

David William Bitner-3
Cameron,

Can I take your +1's to both as a second to my nomination?

If so (or if someone else seconds the two nominations) what is our protocol for calling for a vote?

I definitely agree with Jeff's comments and I definitely encourage the nomination of some of the leadership from non-NA global and regional events.

David

P <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205000" value="+61290095000" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205099" value="+61290095099" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5099

Re: Conference Committee Membership Nominations

Cameron Shorter
David,
Confirmed, I second both nominations.

On 2015-01-05 11:30 AM, David William Bitner wrote:
I would like to make a couple nominations to the committee.

I would like to nominate Darrell Fuhriman who did an amazing job as
chair of the 2014 global event in Portland 2014.

I would also like to nominate Eli Adam who was also part of the 2014
Conference Committee. Eli has also shown great interest in this
committee and a clear willingness to help drive the work of this
committee forward with great attention to detail.

Sincerely,

David

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205000" value="+61290095000" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205099" value="+61290095099" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5099

************************************
David William Bitner
dbSpatial LLC
612-424-9932

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

Re: Conference Committee Membership Nominations

Jachym Cepicky
General approach was, that directors of past FOSS4Gs were "automaticaly" invated (correct me if I'm wrong). So it make's sense to me to nominate Darrell as well.

If that was not the case, I would like to nominate Darrell to Conference committee