Compile OSSIM using Visual Studio

cmcgeorge

Hi.  Have any of you been able to compile OSSIM using Visual Studio?  (I am using Visual Studio 2015.)  I run the ossim-cmake-config.bat batch file, then CMake, then Nmake, but then I get numerous compile errors that I am going through.  Is there a better way?

Thank you,

Chris McGeorge

Re: Compile OSSIM using Visual Studio

rashadkm

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Christopher McGeorge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.  Have any of you been able to compile OSSIM using Visual Studio?  (I am using Visual Studio 2015.)  I run the ossim-cmake-config.bat batch file, then CMake, then Nmake, but then I get numerous compile errors that I am going through.  Is there a better way?

could you post the errors ?. I had compiled ossim (latest release) with msvc2015.

you must have the required dependencies .lib and or .dll for tiff, jpeg, png, and geos. So far I had only issue with geos. (latest trunk is not compatible with ossim)

Thank you,

Chris McGeorge

   Rashad

Re: Compile OSSIM using Visual Studio

David Burken-2
Hi Chris,

I'm using Visual Studio 2015.  I will send you my bat file off the list.  The hardest part is build the dependencies.

Dave

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Christopher McGeorge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.  Have any of you been able to compile OSSIM using Visual Studio?  (I am using Visual Studio 2015.)  I run the ossim-cmake-config.bat batch file, then CMake, then Nmake, but then I get numerous compile errors that I am going through.  Is there a better way?

Thank you,

Chris McGeorge

Re: Compile OSSIM using Visual Studio

rashadkm
Hello David,

Just curious to know if you had hit any issue with libgeos and ossim 1.8.20-3.

the c++ api has changed in geos (svn trunk) and had some issues with that for me.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 8:55 PM, David Burken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chris,

I'm using Visual Studio 2015.  I will send you my bat file off the list.  The hardest part is build the dependencies.

Dave

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Christopher McGeorge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.  Have any of you been able to compile OSSIM using Visual Studio?  (I am using Visual Studio 2015.)  I run the ossim-cmake-config.bat batch file, then CMake, then Nmake, but then I get numerous compile errors that I am going through.  Is there a better way?

Thank you,

Chris McGeorge

   Rashad

Re: Compile OSSIM using Visual Studio

David Burken-2
I see it.  Will have to put on the list.  We need to make fix backwards compatible...

Building CXX object ossim/src/CMakeFiles/ossim.dir/util/ossimShorelineUtil.cpp.o
In file included from /home/dburken/code/sb/ossim/src/base/ossimPolyArea2d.cpp:16:0:
/home/dburken/code/sb/deps/include/geos/geom/GeometryFactory.h: In constructor ‘ossimGeometryFactoryWrapper::ossimGeometryFactoryWrapper()’:
/home/dburken/code/sb/deps/include/geos/geom/GeometryFactory.h:464:2: error: ‘geos::geom::GeometryFactory::GeometryFactory(const geos::geom::PrecisionModel*, int)’ is protected
  GeometryFactory(const PrecisionModel* pm, int newSRID);
  ^
/home/dburken/code/sb/ossim/src/base/ossimPolyArea2d.cpp:40:61: error: within this context
       m_geomFactory = new geos::geom::GeometryFactory(pm, -1);
                                                             ^
In file included from /home/dburken/code/sb/ossim/src/base/ossimPolyArea2d.cpp:16:0:
/home/dburken/code/sb/deps/include/geos/geom/GeometryFactory.h: In destructor ‘virtual ossimGeometryFactoryWrapper::~ossimGeometryFactoryWrapper()’:
/home/dburken/code/sb/deps/include/geos/geom/GeometryFactory.h:474:10: error: ‘virtual geos::geom::GeometryFactory::~GeometryFactory()’ is protected
  virtual ~GeometryFactory();
          ^
/home/dburken/code/sb/ossim/src/base/ossimPolyArea2d.cpp:42:68: error: within this context
    virtual ~ossimGeometryFactoryWrapper(){if(m_geomFactory) delete m_geomFactory;m_geomFactory=0;}
                                                                    ^

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 9:35 PM, David Burken <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see it.  Will have to put on the list.  We need to make fix backwards compatible...

There is a better way. use geos C api instead of c++ and avoid these issues. There is an added advantage in doing so. All ossim dependencies are C libraries expect geos now. changing it to use C API will help us to use same list of dependencies for multiple versions of msvc without the pain of rebuilding for each version of msvc.

I can put up a PR with dev branch for this. What you think?