Color lines according to z coordinate

wenzeslaus
Hi,

I would like to color contours represented as vector lines according to their height represented as z coordinate.

I know I can apply color table to attribute table column or to categories but I have height only in z coordinate. My vector map contains lines; all with the same category and different z coordinates. It does not have an attribute table. It would be possible for me to get different categories for different heights (from my input data) but it would be more effective to have a general solution where the input are just z coordinates and input categories can be arbitrary.

Thanks,
Vaclav

Re: Color lines according to z coordinate

Martin Landa

> I would like to color contours represented as vector lines according to
> their height represented as z coordinate.

d.vect zcolor= ?

Martin

--
Martin Landa * http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to color contours represented as vector lines according to
> their height represented as z coordinate.

d.vect zcolor= ?

I forgot to mention. This works for me with points but not with lines. Actually, it is what manual says:

zcolor=style
Colorize point or area features according to z-coordinate

Is it a bug?

Re: Color lines according to z coordinate

Martin Landa

> I forgot to mention. This works for me with points but not with lines.
> Actually, it is what manual says:
>
> zcolor=style
> Colorize point or area features according to z-coordinate

hm, I would assume that it should colorize lines based on their
average z-coordinates (of their vertices). It should be easy to
implement.

Martin

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I forgot to mention. This works for me with points but not with lines.
> Actually, it is what manual says:
>
> zcolor=style
> Colorize point or area features according to z-coordinate

hm, I would assume that it should colorize lines based on their
average z-coordinates (of their vertices).

Oh, I completely missed that because for contours it is trivial. Probably, average of two subsequent vertices would be the most powerful option but I guess (without knowledge of d.vect) harder to implement efficiently.

It should be easy to
implement.

Does this mean that you will do it? It would be nice of you because don't think that it would be easy for me.

Re: Color lines according to z coordinate

Martin Landa

[...]

> Does this mean that you will do it? It would be nice of you because don't
> think that it would be easy for me.

unfortunately I have no time to implement it, but as I know you I am
very sure it would be very easy for you :-)

Martin

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does this mean that you will do it? It would be nice of you because don't
> think that it would be easy for me.

unfortunately I have no time to implement it, but as I know you I am
very sure it would be very easy for you :-)

Thanks. But I cannot promise I will do it any time soon. Anyway, it seems useful and interesting.

As a temporary solution I will use coloring according to category.

Re: Color lines according to z coordinate

Veronica Andreo
Hi Vaclav,

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Martin Landa <[hidden email]>wrote:

> > I would like to color contours represented as vector lines according to
> > their height represented as z coordinate.
>
> d.vect zcolor= ?

I forgot to mention. This works for me with points but not with lines.
Actually, it is what manual says:

zcolor=style
Colorize point or area features according to z-coordinate

What about d.vect.thematic?? Have you tried it?

From the manual:

"d.vect.thematic creates thematic maps from vectors of all types and numeric attributes (stored in the data table connected to a vector map). Thematic maps can be displayed by either a graduated color scheme (for all vector types), as graduated icon sizes (for point and centroid types), or graduated line widths (for lines and boundaries with associated attributes). The user selects the vector map to be mapped and attribute column from which to derive mapping intervals, and (optionally) the layer for attribute data."

Best,
Vero

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:
What about d.vect.thematic?? Have you tried it?

Hi Veronica, actually I did not but I see that it is not available in GUI and it is also broken in general. I would have have to fix it first which I'm not going to do right now ;) But the module options looks promising.

From the manual:

[...]

yeah, it seems it's broken :(
I used it quite some time ago for ploting graduated points... options are indeed very nice!
Hope someone fix it :)

best,
Vero

From the manual: