Code of conduct - definition of "sexualized images"

Code of conduct - definition of "sexualized images"

Cameron Shorter
Hi Gina,
I understand that you are the point of contact for the O'Reilly
conference code of conduct. [1]

The Open Source Geospatial (OSGeo) Conference Committee is currently
discussing setting up a code of conduct for conferences [2]. I like the
O'Reilly wording, and have suggested OSGeo adopt something similar.

However, one thing I find lacking is a clear definition of "sexualized
images". Does O'Reilly have guidelines for assessing whether an image is
"sexualized"?

Would it be appropriate for a presenter to include an image from a main
stream media commercial? Likewise, could such images be displayed by
vendors at conferences? I'd expect so. However, large proportions of
main stream commercials make use of young, "sexy" models.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Feel free to forward this email to
appropriate people.

Regards,
Cameron Shorter

[1] http://www.oreilly.com/conferences/code-of-conduct.html
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2015-January/thread.html

Re: Code of conduct - definition of "sexualized images"

Cameron Shorter
So here is an extreme example of what could be interpreted as a "sexualized image". Should I get thrown out of a conference for including one of these images in my presentation?

http://static.migom.by/img/news/5429/biil_gates_young_01.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/72/d5/e1/72d5e130c5ba0dafa25786e10ea51c94.jpg

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager

Re: Code of conduct - definition of "sexualized images"

Camille Acey
Cameron,

There is no sort of militant force attached to the CoC. CoC just establishes a process for complaint and some structure around handling issues that may arise. No one is being ejected from any conference on sight of Bill Gates's come hither eyes or that woman in her pajama top, and I think implying such is rather hyperbolic.

Camille E. Acey

Manager, Customer Development and Partnerships| Boundless

[hidden email]

T: <a href="tel:%2B1%20917.460.7197" value="+19174607197" target="_blank">+1 917.460.7197|M: <a href="tel:%2B1%20347.267.2016" value="+13472672016" target="_blank">+1 347.267.2016| Skype: camilleacey

New York, NY - USA

@boundlessgeo

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

P <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205000" value="+61290095000" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205099" value="+61290095099" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5099

Re: Code of conduct - definition of "sexualized images"

Eli Adam

On Jan 10, 2015 3:19 AM, "Cameron Shorter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gina,
> I understand that you are the point of contact for the O'Reilly conference code of conduct. [1]
>
> The Open Source Geospatial (OSGeo) Conference Committee is currently discussing setting up a code of conduct for conferences [2]. I like the O'Reilly wording, and have suggested OSGeo adopt something similar.
>
> However, one thing I find lacking is a clear definition of "sexualized images". Does O'Reilly have guidelines for assessing whether an image is "sexualized"?
>
> Would it be appropriate for a presenter to include an image from a main stream media commercial?

I think the issue here is relevancy.  Sexualized images aren't necessarily entirely prohibited.   Irrelevant sexualized images are entirely prohibited.  If your talk is about open source software used in making commercials, then showing any commercial made with the software that passed the broadcast rules where it was shown would be fair game (preferably these commercials would be selected based on popularity, success, or other criteria appropriate for evaluating commercials, not just attention grabbing images).  This might (or even likely) include sexualized images.  The exact same image in a web standards talk is entirely inappropriate and prohibited.

>Likewise, could such images be displayed by vendors at conferences? I'd expect so. However, large proportions of main stream commercials make use of young, "sexy" models.

Same thing, if it is relevant it is fine.  If it is not relevant it is not. If an ad agency that uses open source software and sponsors, they could include portions of their work.   The same images at a hardware vendor sponsor would be inappropriate.

Those are my opinions and how I would approach it.  Context is as important as the actual image.  This requires judgement and is difficult to set criteria for all situations.  The US Supreme Court in defining "obscene" has become the punchline of many jokes, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it but it does hint at the difficulty in defining such things.

Some CoC incidents are minor and require nothing more than a brief discussion about the CoC and agreement to discontinue the offense.  In most cases of mildly inappropriate images in a presentation, you will be asked to revise it and err on the side of caution for the rest of the conference, not kicked out.  And perhaps have a discussion about why they were inappropriate in the first place.

The offenses and responses are both on a continuum, it is the duty of reasonable people on the LOC to correctly determine that.  You ran a FOSS4G, click through these, http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_incidents, and decide what you would have done for each of these had they happened in 2009.  Some could be addressed by a brief conversation and agreement to discontinue the offense, others by contacting law enforcement and passing the issue from the conference to the legal system (although the conference could also take additional measures).

Best regards, Eli

> I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Feel free to forward this email to appropriate people.
>
> Regards,
> Cameron Shorter
>
> [1] http://www.oreilly.com/conferences/code-of-conduct.html
> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2015-January/thread.html

Re: Code of conduct - definition of "sexualized images"

Cameron Shorter
Thanks Gina, Eli, Camille for your thoughts and responses.

I acknowledge that the approaches suggested (using judgement based on the situation) appears to be the best way to approach the CoC.

On 15/01/2015 11:08 am, Gina Blaber wrote:
Hi Cameron (and Eli),

In answer to your question, O'Reilly does not have guidelines for assessing whether an image is "sexualized".  I agree with Eli that it requires judgement, and it's difficult to set criteria for all situations.

However, when I've spoken to individuals at our events about code of conduct issues related to "sexualized images in public spaces", not once has the person in question argued with me and said they did not understand why this issue was being raised.

Best,
- Gina

Gina Blaber  O'Reilly Media, Inc.