Code of Conduct

123

Code of Conduct

David William Bitner-3
Dear Conference Committee,

It has recently been brought to my attention by a member of our community that she noticed the absence of a Code of Conduct for the upcoming Seoul FOSS4G. I took this as a huge sign that the work that has been done by LOCs in recent FOSS4G, regional OSGeo events, and other technology and geography events towards encouraging diversity and a welcoming atmosphere to all is indeed being noticed. I have also been excited to see based simply on the measure of gender diversity that the numbers of female speakers has been steadily moving up over the past couple years.

I would like to encourage the Conference Committee (and I am volunteering to do much of the leg work) to provide guidelines for implementing a Code of Conduct at events for all FOSS4G/OSGeo related events and to include diversity initiatives as part of future calls for proposals for the international event.

While I believe it is too late for the conference committee to make any mandates to the Seoul team, is there anyone who knows the folks on the LOC that would be willing to help me reach out to explain the importance of these initiatives?

Thanks!

David

Re: Code of Conduct

Shin, Sanghee-2
Hi David,

I’m on the list. You can talk to me directly.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
"Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
http://2015.foss4g.org
Twitter: @foss4g
Facebook: FOSS4G2015

2015. 1. 8., 오후 4:22, David William Bitner <[hidden email]> 작성:

[...]

Great! Thanks Sanghee!

Has your team considered adding a code of conduct to your website?

The past two FOSS4G global events have included CoC's on the website as well as asking registrants to agree to the CoC by a checkbox on the registration form.

We have received a lot of positive response from attendees since adding these to the conferences and have certainly seen an impact in gender diversity since incorporating CoC's into our websites along with other outreach and diversity initiatives. It is a very easy step towards ensuring that everyone is assured of the expectation of a welcoming conference! I am sure that other past conference chairs on this list can speak up to their experiences as well.

I hope all is going well with planning for the event!

Sincerely,

David

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Darrell Fuhriman
It’s also critical that this be done consistently every year and enforced — a CoC without enforcement is meaningless. For instance, take the case where, god forbid, we had to ban someone completely. How will this happen?

This is really should be part of the OSGeo mandate (in so far as such things exist).

d.

On Jan 8, 2015, at 09:08, David William Bitner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

stevenfeldman
There was also a short CoC for 2013 at http://2013.foss4g.org/code-of-conduct/ which corresponds to the short version of the 2015 NA CoC

David, this is a great initiative. Can we consider mandating a standard (and evolving through experience) CoC for all FOSS4G branded events and any other vents that claim to be affiliated to OSGeo?

______
Steven

On 8 Jan 2015, at 17:08, David William Bitner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

blammo

All,

Some thought should be applied to adding this or a item like it to the Event Contract boilerplate.  I assume there is a contract of some sort between OSGeo and Event LOCs, right?

Bobb

[...]

email: [hidden email]

[...]

Cameron Shorter
David,
I'm in favour of a Code Of Conduct, but suggest there should be some tweaking of the words (if using https://2015.foss4g-na.org/code-conduct text)

Reasons:
1. At the moment, I think some wording is a bit loose, and open to misinterpretation between cultures and geographic regions. What does "Sexual images" mean? Is it nudity? Does a photo of a field trip with naked natives constitute a "sexual image"? Is the clique advertisement of a pretty sales girl standing next to a car considered a "Sexual image"? Should we be using a Middle East definition of "Sexual image" or "American" where the norm for acceptable clothes are different? Is wearing a mini-skirt considered acceptable? (I don't have good words to address this, but suspect there would be template material somewhere which could be used).

2. We should be careful to try and avoid attendees feeling that they are being lectured to, as if organisors expect attendees to be guilty. Maybe start with, "In order to ensure a pleasant experience for everyone, all attendees are *expected to*  ... (instead of *required to* ...)"

David,
Once finalised, I suggest adding a section about "Code of Conduct" into: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook

On 9/01/2015 4:28 am, Steven Feldman wrote:
[...]

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

Re: Code of Conduct

Shin, Sanghee-2
Hi David,

First of all thank you for your pointing out.

Yep. We’ve discussed CoC a little bit when we prepared for the website. However we didn’t add CoC to the website at that time. The reasons we didn’t include CoC are as follows:

1. Actually we didn’t understand what is CoC and what is the main purpose of CoC. Without understanding the real meaning of CoC, we didn’t want to add that to the website just like accessary. We knew there were CoCs at FOSS4G 2013 and 2014.(Many of LOC members attended both conferences) After reading and reviewing CoCs from FOSS4G 2013 and 2014, we thought that those CoC are sorts of morals or rules that we should follow through the life and that should be part of our life(except over sexual issue, I’ll talk this later) all the time. CoC message can be summarised just like this. No Discrimination, No Harassment, No Sexuality. I thought No Discrimination, No Harassment are the baseline morals of our general life to live together with others. We should follow those baseline whether we are in the conference or outside of the conference just like air. When I saw that CoC at past FOSS4G site, I got feeling just like this. “You should breathe the air, otherwise you will be expelled without refund.” And I was also curious that “And then am I allowed to discriminate other people outside of the conference?” I’m not trying to neglect the importance of CoC.

In short, we were not fully convinced whether we needed to add CoC to the website and didn’t understand the real meaning of CoC at that time. However we are not reluctant to add CoC to the website if everyone is assured of the expectation of a welcoming conference!

2. Regarding over sexuality issue, I totally agree with Cameron’s view. Feeling sexuality is somewhat different culture by culture and region by region. A month ago I was somewhat shocked when I got message from U.S. that my recent presentation named "7 Reasons: Why you should come to FOSS4G 2015 Seoul” included over-sexual photo. Actually I included a photo of very popular Korea girl group there. I didn’t think that the photo is so sexual. However he felt that photo is over-sexual. I could say that if you show that picture to general Korean people and ask them whether that photo is over-sexual, 8~9 out 10 will not agree with that. However if you show a picture of a woman with low-cut neck line, many Koreans will say that that is too sexual.

There is another issues over “Sexual” as well. Who will set up the standard of sexual? Who will decide which is sexual or not? Organiser? And then will you expel the attendee who believe that his/her image is not sexual in his culture but sexual in U.S.? If FOSS4G will take place in Middle East, should we follow their standard over sexual? Also I believe that harsh banning on sexuality could hurt the freedom of speech as well.

3. Just like Cameron mentioned, as Chairperson of the FOSS4G this year, I have the responsibility to make the event a pleasant experience for everyone and not to feel them they are lectured or suppressed at the same time.

All the best,

Sanghee
---
Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
"Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
http://2015.foss4g.org
Twitter: @foss4g
Facebook: FOSS4G2015

2015. 1. 8., 오후 5:08, David William Bitner <[hidden email]> 작성:

[...]

Camille Acey
Greetings Sanghee!

The example conference policy  that has been adapted/adopted  by tech conferences around the world is here - http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Policy. It is freely and openly licensed (CC-BY-SA) and can be used and changed as you and the committee see fit.

One of the main reasons to adopt a Code of Conduct is *precisely* because we are such a diverse, international group. Attendees are planning to come to 2015 FOSS4G in Seoul from all around the world and I think it can be more manageable if we establish a baseline of behaviour that is appropriate for our global FOSS4G community while also being respectful to the local culture.

Camille

Camille E. Acey

Manager, Customer Development and Partnerships| Boundless

[hidden email]

T: <a href="tel:%2B1%20917.460.7197" value="+19174607197" target="_blank">+1 917.460.7197|M: <a href="tel:%2B1%20347.267.2016" value="+13472672016" target="_blank">+1 347.267.2016| Skype: camilleacey

New York, NY - USA

@boundlessgeo

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 6:59 AM, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello camille,

Thanks for the linking.

Now I can more clearly understand what is CoC and why this is needed. I think I’ve learnt many thing today.

Anyway we already started to discuss for the CoC at FOSS4G 2015 and we’ll soon post our own - maybe adapted/adopted from previous one - CoC to the website.

Thanks a lot.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
"Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
http://2015.foss4g.org
Twitter: @foss4g
Facebook: FOSS4G2015

2015. 1. 9., 오후 4:23, Camille Acey <[hidden email]> 작성:

Greetings Sanghee!

The example conference policy  that has been adapted/adopted  by tech conferences around the world is here - http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Policy. It is freely and openly licensed (CC-BY-SA) and can be used and changed as you and the committee see fit.

One of the main reasons to adopt a Code of Conduct is *precisely* because we are such a diverse, international group. Attendees are planning to come to 2015 FOSS4G in Seoul from all around the world and I think it can be more manageable if we establish a baseline of behaviour that is appropriate for our global FOSS4G community while also being respectful to the local culture.

Camille

Camille E. Acey
Manager, Customer Development and Partnerships| Boundless
T: <a href="tel:%2B1%20917.460.7197" value="+19174607197" target="_blank" class="">+1 917.460.7197|M: <a href="tel:%2B1%20347.267.2016" value="+13472672016" target="_blank" class="">+1 347.267.2016| Skype: camilleacey
New York, NY - USA

[...]

Baumann, Peter
+1 - well put, Sanghee, I couldn't agree more to every word you say!

-Peter

On 01/09/2015 12:59 PM, Sanghee Shin wrote:
[...]

Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: [hidden email]
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: [hidden email]
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)

Re: Code of Conduct

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
On 2015/01/10 3:35, Peter Baumann wrote:
> +1 - well put, Sanghee, I couldn't agree more to every word you say!

+1 - I agree with the to view that Sanghee has so succinctly put forth.
The pictorial maxim of three wise monkeys that embody the proverbial
principle to "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" [1] could more
that adequate instead of any lengthy description or discourse.

Looking forward to a great FOSS4G 2015 and
best wishes for a Happy New Year to all of you.

Venka

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys

> [...]
>>> is assured of the expectation of a welcoming conference! I am sure that other
>>> past conference chairs on this list can speak up to their experiences as well.
>>>
>>> I hope all is going well with planning for the event!
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      Hi David,
>>>
>>>      I’m on the list. You can talk to me directly.
>>>
>>>      With regards,
>>>
>>>      Sanghee
>>>      ---
>>>      Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
>>>      "Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
>>>      http://2015.foss4g.org <http://2015.foss4g.org/>
>>>      Twitter: @foss4g
>>>      Facebook: FOSS4G2015
>>>      email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Code of Conduct

Cameron Shorter
Looking around at various Conference "Codes of Conduct", I found the O'Reilly definition to be eloquently worded, and less threatening to potential attendees. (Although I still can't find a clear definition of "sexual images".)

http://www.oreilly.com/conferences/code-of-conduct.html

Code of Conduct

At O'Reilly, we assume that most people are intelligent and well-intended, and we're not inclined to tell people what to do. However, we want every O'Reilly conference to be a safe and productive environment for everyone. To that end, this code of conduct spells out the behavior we support and don't support at conferences. The core of our approach is this:

We don't condone harassment or offensive behavior, at our conference venues or anywhere. It's counter to our company values. More importantly, it's counter to our values as human beings.

We're voicing our strong, unequivocal support of appropriate behavior by all participants at technical events, including all O'Reilly conferences. We invite you to help us make each O'Reilly conference a place that is welcoming and respectful to all participants, regardless of race, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, national origin, ethnicity, or religion. So that everyone can focus on the conference itself, and the great networking and community richness that happens when we get together in person, we will not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form—in person or online.

Examples of harassment include offensive comments, verbal threats or demands, sexualized images in public spaces, intimidation, stalking, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of sessions or events, and unwelcome physical contact or sexual attention.

We expect all participants—attendees, speakers, sponsors, and volunteers—to follow the Code of Conduct during the conference. This includes conference-related social events at off-site locations, and in related online communities and social media. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. Conference participants violating this Code of Conduct may be expelled from the conference without a refund, and/or banned from future O'Reilly events, at the discretion of O'Reilly Media.

Please bring any concerns to the immediate attention of the event staff, or contact our VP of Conferences, Gina Blaber at [hidden email]. We thank our participants for your help in keeping the event welcoming, respectful, and friendly to all participants.

Read the blog post by Tim O'Reilly that is the basis of our functional code of conduct for all O'Reilly conferences.

Thanks to the Lean Startup folks and the jsconf.us folks, whose Codes of Conduct inspired some changes to our own.

On 10/01/2015 4:16 am, Sanghee Shin wrote:
[...]

T: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B1%20917.460.7197" value="+19174607197" target="_blank" class="">+1 917.460.7197|M: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B1%20347.267.2016" value="+13472672016" target="_blank" class="">+1 347.267.2016| Skype: camilleacey
New York, NY - USA

[...]

Things for doing this "leg work", Cameron!

Camille

Camille E. Acey

Manager, Customer Development and Partnerships| Boundless

[hidden email]

T: +1 917.460.7197|M: +1 347.267.2016| Skype: camilleacey

New York, NY - USA

@boundlessgeo

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 5:59 AM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

P <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205000" value="+61290095000" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205099" value="+61290095099" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5099

Re: Code of Conduct

Jachym Cepicky
I agree with Cameron's points lower.

I'm also not sure, that the lack of CoC will "lower gender diversity" (do I assume correctly, number of female attendees will be somehow "lower", right?) and that it's presence on the web site automatically means welcoming conference.

Sanghee is writing it perfectly: " No Discrimination, No Harassment are the baseline morals of our general life to live". He also expresses my feelings, about cultural context difference. We should try to understand everybody's cultural context, that's also one of the reason, why FOSS4G is moving around the globe and we can experience all the various cultural aspects.

From what Sanghee is writing, I have no doubt, LOC will try to make the conference as open and as welcoming to *everybody* as possible.

Anyway: this e-mail is not about "banning CoC for FOSS4Gs", but asking question, whether CoC is really *the* thing, which will safe the conference and guarantee, that everybody will feel great there. Do what you think, is needed.

Jachym

Thu Jan 08 2015 at 21:12:52 odesílatel Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> napsal:
[...]

Kate Chapman
Hi All,

There are people that have pledged not to attend conferences without a code of conduct. Honestly, I asked for one to be put in place for Nottingham. I would have had to seriously consider if I wanted to keynote at a conference without a code of conduct if the team hadn't understood the need and put one in place.

We say that things are common sense and people should just follow that, but honestly that isn't enough. It is important to have clear guidelines spelled out. I've been a conferences where there was a code of conduct where incidents did happen, but there was a clear plan to manage them. Conferences where bad things happen and there is not a clear plan often do not fair so well.

The Ada Initiative has great resources for designing a code of conduct(1). There are also many other open source foundations we could look up to such as the Python Foundation that have codes for their events and have required such since 2012(2). Recently the QGIS community adopted a code of conduct(3), a move which I applaud.

Thanks,

-Kate

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Cameron's points lower.

I'm also not sure, that the lack of CoC will "lower gender diversity" (do I assume correctly, number of female attendees will be somehow "lower", right?) and that it's presence on the web site automatically means welcoming conference.

Sanghee is writing it perfectly: " No Discrimination, No Harassment are the baseline morals of our general life to live". He also expresses my feelings, about cultural context difference. We should try to understand everybody's cultural context, that's also one of the reason, why FOSS4G is moving around the globe and we can experience all the various cultural aspects.

From what Sanghee is writing, I have no doubt, LOC will try to make the conference as open and as welcoming to *everybody* as possible.

[...]

I agree with Kate here, and want to emphasize this line:

"Conferences where bad things happen and there is not a clear plan often do not fair so well.”

It’s really great to say “can’t we just assume everyone will be nice.”  The answer is “no”. We can assume that *nearly* everyone will be, but occasionally things happen, most of them minor, some of them genuinely awful.

A CoC isn’t a feel good statement. It’s a public commitment to providing a safe and welcoming environment to all members of the community. Are you afraid of that commitment?

To be honest, I’m a lot baffled, and a more than a little annoyed that we’re even having this conversation. That conferences need a CoC and a plan to enforce it should be taken for granted at this point. Really. I’m not going to have the discussion here. It’s been had in a thousand forums already. CoCs won. Accept it and plan for it.

Examples:

Shall I go on?

So my questions to the people who question whether a CoC is necessary:

What if something genuinely awful happens? What will you do?
What about something kind of bad? How will you recognize that, and how will you handle it? Who will do it?
How do you know what’s genuinely awful and what’s “kind of bad”?

These aren’t idle questions. these are exactly the kind of things that you have to plan for. Do you have answers for them?

Darrell

On Jan 11, 2015, at 19:41, Kate Chapman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From what Sanghee is writing, I have no doubt, LOC will try to make the conference as open and as welcoming to *everybody* as possible.

[...]

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Well said Darrel and Kate, I agree we should not question whether or not we need a CoC.

Best regards,
Bart

On 14 Jan 2015, at 04:22, Darrell Fuhriman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From what Sanghee is writing, I have no doubt, LOC will try to make the conference as open and as welcoming to *everybody* as possible.

[...]

P <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205000" value="+61290095000" target="_blank" class="">+61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205099" value="+61290095099" target="_blank" class="">+61 2 9009 5099

Re: Code of Conduct

Jachym Cepicky

Darrell,

Maybe it was discussed in other communities  but not in this one. I'm often annoyed by some of the discussions we have too, but saying that does not bring us anywhere.

I'm personally not convinced that existence of   CoC would eliminate any offences caused by some attendees. That is my opinion.

FOSS4G is free conference organised on behalf of OSGeo. The responsibility comes from LOC to LOC every year around the globe. LOC is responsible for the conference and shall make sure, everybody will fell good at the event using instruments they feel are needed. You can (have to) convince LOC if there is something you would like to stress at FOSS4G or OSGeo. They are open to ideas, as the whole community was so far.

All I'm afraid are new rules. I personally would like FOSS4G following the KISS principle. The more rules, the  farther we are from KISS, the less freedom. There already is genetic rule in this community: be kind to each other, listen to each other.

So, in the opposite of Bart, I say: we shall always keep asking, whether we need new (or old) rules and why today's set of rules is not enough.

Jachym

Re: Code of Conduct

Baumann, Peter
hm...a little worrying how technology oriented people get ideologic.

Why do I say "ideologic"?

- belief structures. "One has to" and "obviously" lack a clear subject in charge of giving the instructions (which effectively is happening).
As a consequence, someone not agreeing (read: not sharing this belief) is subliminally put on the side of the assumed not-so-good-doers: "Are you afraid of that commitment?"

- attacking non-believers and suppressing free discussion. Examples:
> "more than a little annoyed that we’re even having this conversation."

- obscured authority. No institution/person/etc is named which is responsible for requirements and soliciting actions. Citing:
> How do you know what’s genuinely awful and what’s “kind of bad”?
Who is the authority answering this, and doing so for the whole planet and all its cultures?

- lack of evidence. At "some" conferences "some" "incidents" are said to have happened. Notice the 3-fold fuzziness which disallows others to gain their own opinion and participate in discussion. "conferences ... do not fair [ie: fare] so well" likewise excludes communication partners from discussion as the assumed underlying evidence is not shared.
FWIW, I have attended all sorts of conferences all around this planet for decades now and have not witnessed a single "incident" that would require normative action.

- pseudo-evidence. Examples are listed to underpin that codes of conduct are a rulle. A clean statistical argument would indicate a percentage of conferences. Also note this pattern: 2 conferences have a CoC, so we must also have one, end of discussion. Next conference: 3 conferences have a CoC, so we must also have one, end of discussion.

So, ideologic it is along the definition of Steger & James: "Ideologies are patterned clusters of normatively imbued ideas and concepts, including particular representations of power relations. These conceptual maps help people navigate the complexity of their political universe and carry claims to social truth." [1]

Personally, I have an uneasy feeling going to a conference that assumes that I (or my community, for that matter) needs tight behavioral control. Next step is an obligatory "conduct police" that patrols conferences to spot non-conforming behavior. Inverting the below sentence, "I would have had to seriously consider if I wanted to keynote at a conference _with_ a code of conduct".

All that said, Darrell is raising the core questions indeed, I try to honestly give my 2 cents:
> What if something genuinely awful happens? What will you do?
step in. done that earlier (in private situations, again: never necessary at any conference)

> What about something kind of bad? How will you recognize that, and how will you handle it? Who will do it?
> How do you know what’s genuinely awful and what’s “kind of bad”?
based on common sense and the good education my parents gave me. Which is inherently risk prone and delicate when getting intercultural, so requires a _lot_ of care and, if ever possible, seeking advice from members of the cultures concretely involved.

-Peter

PS: sorry a scientist's response. Best just take Jachym: keep it simple and friendly.

[1] James, Paul; Steger, Manfred (2010). Globalization and Culture, Vol. 4: Ideologies of Globalism. London: Sage Publications.

On 01/14/2015 04:22 AM, Darrell Fuhriman wrote:
[...]

From what Sanghee is writing, I have no doubt, LOC will try to make the conference as open and as welcoming to *everybody* as possible.

P <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205000" value="+61290095000" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B61%202%209009%205099" value="+61290095099" target="_blank">+61 2 9009 5099