CoC Committee - the state of things

Camille Acey-3
So the committee has been established! From where I stand, here is what is on our plates:

- staffing up CoC Voting Committee (responsible for  working with moderators, LOCs, and the board to figure out how to confidentially handle CoC reports and violations)
- draft suggested CoC workflow
- communicate CoC and suggested workflow to LOCs, forum moderators, board and membership

Is there anything else we should be tackling?

I also feel like there might be some information gathering to be done now that FOSS4G has finished. I've already seen some attendee information and it might be interesting to find out from Sanghee & co what worked well/could have been better in terms of creating an inclusive gathering.

Thoughts?
Camille

Re: CoC Committee - the state of things

Cameron Shorter
Hi Camille,
Probably first step would be listing CoC Committee members, probably here: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/CodeOfConduct_Committee

One thing I've been pondering since seeing the first few questions about CoC being discussed is how to "classify" what is considered a CoC breach. I'm yet to see any hard guidelines as to what is/is not acceptable. (And this sucks up large amounts of bandwidth on email lists).

Looking around for what we can borrow as a standard reference, I wonder whether we can borrow from film classifications:

I'm familiar with the Australian classifications (being an Australian myself), which are well defined:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Classification_Board#Film_and_video_game_classifications

For a conference, we could suggest a classification at a level or G or PG:

Parental Guidance (PG) – Not recommended for viewing or playing by people under 15 without guidance from parents or guardians. Contains material that young viewers may find confusing or upsetting. The content is mild in impact.
Violence should be mild and infrequent, and should be presented in "a stylised or theatrical fashion, or in an historical context".
Themes should have a "mild sense of menace or threat" and be "discreet"
Frightening or Intense Scenes should be "mildly frightening" and have "low intensity"
Crude Humor should be "mild" or "low level"
Sex, nudity and drug use should be mild, infrequent, "discreetly implied" and "justified by context".
Coarse language should be mild and infrequent, and be justified by context.

On 26/09/2015 12:26 am, Camille Acey wrote:
So the committee has been established! From where I stand, here is what is on our plates:

- staffing up CoC Voting Committee (responsible for  working with moderators, LOCs, and the board to figure out how to confidentially handle CoC reports and violations)
- draft suggested CoC workflow
- communicate CoC and suggested workflow to LOCs, forum moderators, board and membership

Is there anything else we should be tackling?

I also feel like there might be some information gathering to be done now that FOSS4G has finished. I've already seen some attendee information and it might be interesting to find out from Sanghee & co what worked well/could have been better in terms of creating an inclusive gathering.

Thoughts?
Camille

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager