Client side coordinate transformation library - Call to developers/testers

Client side coordinate transformation library - Call to developers/testers

Aaron Koning
Hello All,

A while ago I created a client side coordinate transformation library called GCTP-JS (Open Source, GPL licence). More accurately, I ported files directly from the General Cartographic Transformation System (GCTP) C-code to JavaScript.

Simple example application:

Implemented easily and successfully in the Flexible Internet Spatial Template (FIST) web mapping application:

Currently the 'port' is not complete (UTM, Albers, and Lambert projection files have been ported). What I would like to see is a complete port of the GCTP to JavaScript. Porting each projection file takes a few hours to a few days depending on experience level (pretty quick I think). Then the projection file must be tested, which is best done by someone who uses that particular projection often.

The best reasons to get involved are:
     - porting and testing can be done file by file;
     - porting a file doesn't take very long;
     - only work on the projections you want or the whole library;
     - very little planning is needed since it is a straightforward porting exercise;
     - there is a definite and achievable end goal!

Therefore, I would like all interested parties to contact me at the address below and start porting and testing projection files as soon as possible. I am eager to get going and help make this a success!
     [hidden email]

The GCTP C-code can be downloaded at:

Thank you for your time,
Aaron

+--------------------------------------------
|  Aaron Koning
|  Information Technologist
|  Prince George, BC, Canada.
+--------------------------------------------

Re: Client side coordinate transformation library - Call to developers/testers

OvV_HN
From: "Aaron Koning"
Subject: [Proj] Client side coordinate transformation library - Call to
developers/testers

> A while ago I created a client side coordinate transformation library called
> GCTP-JS (Open Source, GPL licence).
> Then the projection file must be tested, which is best done by someone who
> uses that particular projection often.

If you want to test GCTP(-derived) programs, it seems more logical to me to
use the very extensive GCTP test suite.
There are 4 tar-balls, but the last time I looked, two projections were
missing (eqrect, equidc), so you need to d/l those two separately as text
files.
A problem with URLs is that they change often. The 'amdahl' test suite I
obtained is probably no longer available, but the C-version test suite is:
<ftp://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/software/gctpc/>

Re: [webmap-discuss] Client side coordinate transformation library - Call to developers/testers

rgreenwood
On 7/24/06, Aaron Koning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> A while ago I created a client side coordinate transformation library called
> GCTP-JS (Open Source, GPL licence). More accurately, I ported files directly
> from the General Cartographic Transformation System (GCTP) C-code to
> JavaScript.
>      http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/
>
> Simple example application:
>      http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/examples.php
>
> Implemented easily and successfully in the Flexible Internet Spatial
> Template (FIST) web mapping application:
>      http://fist-mapping.org
>
> Currently the 'port' is not complete (UTM, Albers, and Lambert projection
> files have been ported). What I would like to see is a complete port of the
> GCTP to JavaScript. Porting each projection file takes a few hours to a few
> days depending on experience level (pretty quick I think). Then the
> projection file must be tested, which is best done by someone who uses that
> particular projection often.
>
> The best reasons to get involved are:
>      - porting and testing can be done file by file;
>      - porting a file doesn't take very long;
>      - only work on the projections you want or the whole library;
>       - very little planning is needed since it is a straightforward porting
> exercise;
>      - there is a definite and achievable end goal!
>
> Therefore, I would like all interested parties to contact me at the address
> below and start porting and testing projection files as soon as possible. I
> am eager to get going and help make this a success!
>      [hidden email]
>
>  The GCTP C-code can be downloaded at:
>
> http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub//software/gctpc/gctpc_src.tar
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Aaron
>
> +--------------------------------------------
> |  Aaron Koning
> |  Information Technologist
> |  Prince George, BC, Canada.
> +--------------------------------------------
> |   http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/fist/
> |   http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/
> +--------------------------------------------

Aaron,

We must be on the same wavelength! Just yesterday I sent an eamil to a
couple lists regarding the work that I have been doing toward porting
the Proj.4 cs2cs program to Javascript.

I went with Proj.4 over GCTP primarily because Proj.4 has support for
datum transformations. Is the GCTP license Open Source?

Would you be interested in combining our projects?

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood
[hidden email]

Re: [webmap-discuss] Client side coordinate transformation library - Call to developers/testers

Aaron Koning
Hi Richard,

Its good to hear from you again. I am mostly interested in porting GCTP to JavaScript. I have not had much use for datum conversions on the client side, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has. Right now the GCTP-JS port has the three most important projections for my region (Albers, Lambert, UTM) and it works very well, so I am hesitant to get involved with recreating this functionality. In addition, I believe that the GCTP can be ported much quicker than Proj4 since it has less than half the files of Proj4 and since many of the GCTP files contain only a few lines that need to be converted. Perhaps there are more compelling reasons to redirect efforts?

Aaron