Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Alessio Fabiani-2
Dear all,
after a talk with Simone Dalmasso, which clarified to me how GeoNode project manages versioning and branchning, I'm going to summarize here the current status on this topic on the next steps.

 - GeoNode odd version number are considered "unstable", which means they must be tested before promoted to a stable one. Therefore currently the 2.7.x is unstable and after the testing cycle it will be promoted to 2.8.x

- GeoNode branch 2.7.x will contain versions which will be published to Launchapd and Pypi. Currently the version we need to release on "ppa:geonode/unstable" should be the "2.7.0.alpha.0"

- GeoNode "master" branch should instead be bumped to 2.9dev version

- After the testing cycle, once the 2.7.x will be considered stable, we will need to bump it to 2.8.0 and release on "ppa:geonode/testing" while in alpha and beta and "ppa:geonode/stable" when in rc and final state

Did I miss something? Any other consideration or things to add?

Regards,

Alessio Fabiani

==
==

Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Angelos Tzotsos
I think we could skip the ".alpha.0" part for ppa:geonode/unstable and just release 2.7.0 etc.

Regards,
Angelos

On 09/07/2017 11:22 AM, Alessio Fabiani wrote:
[...]

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V
for more information.
==

Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

[...]

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Simo D
Dears as I agree in principles with Angelos and Alessio who made this PR https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/pull/3270/files, I think that in parallel we should also change pavement.py to handle the alpha, beta and final tag better. With that PR, which respects our idea, I'm afraid that ppl who don't know about our convention think that 2.9 is a final stable release. Should we introduce the tag "unstable" for odd version instead? We could remove the tag at all but then we loose the abiliti to do beta and rc releases.

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax:     <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob:   <a href="tel:+39%20331%20623%203686" value="+393316233686" target="_blank">+39 331 6233686

[...]

Simone

Re: Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Alessio Fabiani-2
+1

Can you take care of modifying pavement or you need me to do it?

Regards,

Alessio Fabiani

==
==

On 09/07/2017 03:23 PM, Simone Dalmasso wrote:

> [...]
>>> release. Should we introduce the tag "unstable" for odd version instead? We
>>> could remove the tag at all but then we loose the abiliti to do beta and rc
>>> releases.

>>> --
>>> Simone

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Simo D

+1
Angelos

On 09/07/2017 03:23 PM, Simone Dalmasso wrote:
I'll take care of that as soon as we reach a minimum agreement :)

:
+1

Can you take care of modifying pavement or you need me to do it?

phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313 <+39%200584%20962313>
fax:     <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272 <+39%200584%20166%200272>
mob:   <a href="tel:%2B39%20331%206233686" value="+393316233686" target="_blank">+39 331 6233686 <+39%20331%20623%203686>

wrote:
[...]

Paolo Corti
Hi
thanks for the explanation, Alessio.

I am not familiar with the release process, so I have a newbie
question: we are currently submitting PR vs master. Who is in charge
of the process to do a PR and merge from master to 2.7.x (and then to
2.8.x)? Or there is a script for this purpose?
thanks!

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Alessio Fabiani
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
> proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
> (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
> Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
> copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
> strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
> immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
> information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does
> not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
> completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
> made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of

Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Alessio Fabiani-2
As far as I know currently no one is "officially" in charge. It is based on volunteering. No script to automatically switch versions, just for publishing and create Git Tags.

Regards,

Alessio Fabiani

==
==

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
> strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
> immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
> information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does
> not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
> completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
> made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
> e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Alessio but up to now they are quite aligned isn't it? We should make sure that relevant prs go on both from now on

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
> immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
> information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does
> not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
> completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
> made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
> e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Simone

Re: Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

master branch (2.9dev currently) and 2.7.x are practically the same. They are almost fully aligned. I usually take care of backporting my relevant PRs to 2.7.x also.

Regards,

Alessio Fabiani

==
==

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
> immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
> information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does
> not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
> completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
> made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
> e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Simone

Re: Clarifications on GeoNode branches, version numbers and deb packages

Thanks Alessio !