Character display

Sergio Zárate Pedroche
Hi, I have been experimenting with QGIS for some time, but recently I am using it for productive tasks. Several issues have appeared, so I will start with one at a a time. One problem is that  Spanish characters in labels are truncated in the display. Even if I change "language" to "latin", accents (á, é, í, ó, ú) and "ñ" do not display properly (the character is omitted) and "language" setting returns to "any". I edit the shapes´ *.dbf files using NeoOffice. I have used capitals to avoid the problem in part but still the "ñ" will not appear in labels. ¿is there something I can do? ¿what ASCII filter code should I use for .dbf files?
Advanced thanks for an answer!

Dr. Sergio Zárate Pedroche
José María Arroyo 228
Morelia, 58341, Michoacán
Tel. (443) 352-5307
Cel. (443) 438-6212

Re: Character display

Borys Jurgiel
The dbf files should be coded in UTF-8.

Re: Character display

Magnus Homann
Sergio Zárate Pedroche wrote:

> Hi, I have been experimenting with QGIS for some time, but recently I am
> using it for productive tasks. Several issues have appeared, so I will
> start with one at a a time. One problem is that  Spanish characters in
> labels are truncated in the display. Even if I change "language" to
> "latin", accents (á, é, í, ó, ú) and "ñ" do not display properly (the
> character is omitted) and "language" setting returns to "any". I edit
> the shapes´ *.dbf files using NeoOffice. I have used capitals to avoid
> the problem in part but still the "ñ" will not appear in labels. ¿is
> there something I can do? ¿what ASCII filter code should I use for .dbf
> files?
> Advanced thanks for an answer!

The vector files allows specifying a character encoding when opening
them. Have you tried selecting different encodings?

Magnus

Re: Character display

Fafner

Magnus Homann wrote
The vector files allows specifying a character encoding when opening
them. Have you tried selecting different encodings?

Magnus
Is it possible to specify character encoding for the txt files imported through the delimited text plugin? (I cant find any such option.)

thanx / Fafner

Re: Character display

Fafner
Nevermind, it works now :).