Change the datasource of a layer

brunos
Hi there!
In QGIS 3.10 it is nice and easy to change a broken the data source of a layer by clicking on the warning sign in the layers list.
How can I change a non broken datasource? There is no button in the Source tab of Layer Properties...

Should I open a feature request on github?
Thank you
Bruno

Bruno Streit
Bahnstrasse 163
3008 Bern
077 440 92 43

Re: Change the datasource of a layer

Bo Victor Thomsen

You can install plugin: "ChangeDataSource", which gives you a layer "right click" function to change a vector layers datasource

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen
Den 13-11-2019 kl. 10:30 skrev [hidden email]:
Hi there!
In QGIS 3.10 it is nice and easy to change a broken the data source of a layer by clicking on the warning sign in the layers list.
How can I change a non broken datasource? There is no button in the Source tab of Layer Properties...

Should I open a feature request on github?
Thank you
Bruno

Bruno Streit
Bahnstrasse 163
3008 Bern
077 440 92 43

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen

Re: Change the datasource of a layer

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Bruno,

There is a Python Plugin available called "changeDataSource" from Enrico Ferreguti that allows you, after installation, to right-click on a layer and change it's source - or globally for all layers in a project by clicking on the plugin icon.

Maybe you can try this.

But I agree, it would be nice, if such functionality would be in QGIS core. If there is no feature request yet, it would be useful to open one.

Thanks,
Andreas

Re: Change the datasource of a layer

DelazJ
Hi Brunos,
See in the Layers panel: right-click the layer, there's an option to change the datasource by default

Harrissou

Le mer. 13 nov. 2019 à 10:42, Bo Victor Thomsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Hi Andreas

Le mer. 13 nov. 2019 à 10:44, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Bruno,

There is a Python Plugin available called "changeDataSource" from Enrico Ferreguti that allows you, after installation, to right-click on a layer and change it's source - or globally for all layers in a project by clicking on the plugin icon.

Maybe you can try this.

But I agree, it would be nice, if such functionality would be in QGIS core. If there is no feature request yet, it would be useful to open one.

The feature seems to be there already though I fail to find who implements it, browsing all the recent changelogs.

Thanks,
Andreas

Re: Change the datasource of a layer

Alessandro Pasotti-2

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andreas

Le mer. 13 nov. 2019 à 10:44, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Bruno,

There is a Python Plugin available called "changeDataSource" from Enrico Ferreguti that allows you, after installation, to right-click on a layer and change it's source - or globally for all layers in a project by clicking on the plugin icon.

Maybe you can try this.

But I agree, it would be nice, if such functionality would be in QGIS core. If there is no feature request yet, it would be useful to open one.

The feature seems to be there already though I fail to find who implements it, browsing all the recent changelogs.

It has been there for a while: Fri Nov 2 13:16:06 2018  commit fd40042514d49becf17fed4ad2d03219a8ec941d

Since 3.6

Right-click on a layer in the legend to change data source.

Thanks,
Andreas

On 2019-11-13 10:30, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi there!
In QGIS 3.10 it is nice and easy to change a broken the data source of a layer by clicking on the warning sign in the layers list.
How can I change a non broken datasource? There is no button in the Source tab of Layer Properties...

Should I open a feature request on github?
Thank you
Bruno

Bruno Streit
Bahnstrasse 163
3008 Bern
077 440 92 43

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Change the datasource of a layer

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Harrissou,

Interesting. I didn't discover this new feature in QGIS core. Every day something new to discover ;-)

It wasn't there in 3.4 - I just checked. So I don't know when it was introduced. Like you, I also can't find it in our visual changelogs.

However, one thing that the plugin does better, is to offer a "free form" change of the data source. E.g. when you want to change one parameter in the PostgreSQL connection string. This is possible in the plugin, but I couldn't find a way to do it with the built-in "change data source".

Also - is there a builtin way for bulk changes of data sources?

Thanks,

Andreas