Quantcast

Change data of geoserver of server

FNK

Change data of geoserver of server

FNK
Hi!. I'm using Geoserver 2.1.4 in a Windows XP Computer. Now, I would like to change it to a Windows 7 computer and update Geoserver to 2.3.2 version.

I've tried copying the "data_dir" directory but It hasn't worked, even if I install the 2.1.4 version. I don't know if the reason is because in Windows 7 the Geoserver directory is in "Program files (x86)" and not in "Program files" as in Windows XP. Geoserver shows me an error:

"HTTP ERROR: 503  SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE  RequestURI=/geoserver"

Could you help me?

Re: Change data of geoserver of server

cmaul
Hello FNK,

if you have these two program file directories then you must have a 64-bit version. I guess it would make sense to install Java 64-bit, Tomcat and the geoserver war file, and not use the Jetty installer.

Your problem is not the data_directory because:

HTTP 503 = Service Unavailable

your service doesn't even start.  Your data directory may well be a problem, but I think you don't even get to the point of loading it. The geoserver log file will tell you (if your install starts) which data_directory you are using, because it usually reverts to the standard data directory if it cannot load/find the one in the web.xml . You may have problems with the data directory inside the program files directory, because the Windows7 permit structure is different and far more sophisticated than XP.

Cheers

Christian
____________________________

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department Environment and Primary Industries
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        +61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              +61-3-8636 2813
FNK

Re: Change data of geoserver of server

FNK
Hi cmaul, I found the problem some days ago, however, thanks for your help.

The problem was one layer that was throwing an exception when Geoserver was being deployed in Glassfish (I use Glassfish). I didn't notice it in the first computer because I hadn't needed to restart it, when I did it the same problem appeared.

Now I have a new question. How can I organizate the layers in groups and sub-groups? I've seen that in newer versions this is possible (I think I could try a migration: http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/datadirectory/migrating.html), however, If I use groups and sub-groups (groups of groups), Will I be able to create automatically a tree with the groups as branches ("directories") and the layers as leafs?

Regards.