Chair for the conference committee

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Chair for the conference committee

Cameron Shorter
Hi all,

At the moment, we don't have a chair for the conference committee, and I
think that it would be good to address that.

Would committee members like to make suggestions?

I'd like to suggest Till Adams. Till has run a successful FOSS4G
conference, I've seen him listen to people, be diplomatic, and help move
ideas along. I think he'd make a good chair.

Thoughts?


--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chair for the conference committee

stevenfeldman
If Till was prepared to step up and take the role he would be a great candidate but I would understand if he was still chilling after Bonn

We should open this up and encourage anyone who has not chaired CC to also put their hand up. Anyone?
______
Steven


On 9 Feb 2017, at 11:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

At the moment, we don't have a chair for the conference committee, and I think that it would be good to address that.

Would committee members like to make suggestions?

I'd like to suggest Till Adams. Till has run a successful FOSS4G conference, I've seen him listen to people, be diplomatic, and help move ideas along. I think he'd make a good chair.

Thoughts?


--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chair for the conference committee

Eli Adam
In reply to this post by Cameron Shorter
On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 3:02 AM, Cameron Shorter
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At the moment, we don't have a chair for the conference committee, and I
> think that it would be good to address that.

I'm not convinced that we need to address that.  We've worked some
with rotating responsibility.

If there is someone with good skills and time and interest to do it,
yes, it would be better to have a chair.

>
> Would committee members like to make suggestions?
>
> I'd like to suggest Till Adams. Till has run a successful FOSS4G conference,
> I've seen him listen to people, be diplomatic, and help move ideas along. I
> think he'd make a good chair.
>
> Thoughts?

Yes, I think that Till would make a great chair.  If he wants to
chair, I think that he'd do a good job. Nominations for other willing
people would be fine too.

Following after what Steven did, I'd suggest a term for chairs so that
they are not stepping down at the end but rather completing their
term.  Mostly a matter of semantics and phrasing.

Best regards, Eli

>
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> M +61 419 142 254
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chair for the conference committee

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
In reply to this post by stevenfeldman
Steven and all,

Are we planning to fill the CC vacancies
as a result of Helena and Jeroen retiring?

If we are, maybe we could discuss about electing a chair
after these vacant positions are filled.

Best

Venka

On 2017/02/10 7:31, Steven Feldman wrote:

> If Till was prepared to step up and take the role he would be a great candidate but I would understand if he was still chilling after Bonn
>
> We should open this up and encourage anyone who has not chaired CC to also put their hand up. Anyone?
> ______
> Steven
>
>
>> On 9 Feb 2017, at 11:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> At the moment, we don't have a chair for the conference committee, and I think that it would be good to address that.
>>
>> Would committee members like to make suggestions?
>>
>> I'd like to suggest Till Adams. Till has run a successful FOSS4G conference, I've seen him listen to people, be diplomatic, and help move ideas along. I think he'd make a good chair.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>>
>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> M +61 419 142 254
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Conference_dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chair for the conference committee

Arnulf Christl-3
In reply to this post by Eli Adam

> Following after what Steven did, I'd suggest a term for chairs so that
> they are not stepping down at the end but rather completing their
> term.  Mostly a matter of semantics and phrasing.
>
> Best regards, Eli

+1 this is an excellent proposal and really important (even although its
"just" semantics and phrasing). "Stepping down" from a role is alway a
big drain of energy for a volunteer community effort.

Thanks,
Arnulf

--
http://metaspatial.net
Spatially enabling your business.
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chair for the conference committee

stevenfeldman
In reply to this post by Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Answering for myself only, as Venka named me in his mail

We currently have 16 members of the committee of which 10 or 11 are past chairs of Global events

IMO that is a large, experienced and well resourced committee to review and choose the team for the next FOSS4G. 

Our newly adopted rules would allow for some additional members (2 or 3?) who weren’t past Global chairs but I don’t see any benefit from increasing the size of the committee further.

My vote would be to elect a chair from the existing members and then let the chair propose increasing the size of the committee or not.


______
Steven


On 10 Feb 2017, at 07:21, Venka <[hidden email]> wrote:

Steven and all,

Are we planning to fill the CC vacancies
as a result of Helena and Jeroen retiring?

If we are, maybe we could discuss about electing a chair
after these vacant positions are filled.

Best

Venka

On 2017/02/10 7:31, Steven Feldman wrote:
If Till was prepared to step up and take the role he would be a great candidate but I would understand if he was still chilling after Bonn

We should open this up and encourage anyone who has not chaired CC to also put their hand up. Anyone?
______
Steven


On 9 Feb 2017, at 11:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

At the moment, we don't have a chair for the conference committee, and I think that it would be good to address that.

Would committee members like to make suggestions?

I'd like to suggest Till Adams. Till has run a successful FOSS4G conference, I've seen him listen to people, be diplomatic, and help move ideas along. I think he'd make a good chair.

Thoughts?


--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev




_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chair for the conference committee

Till Adams-3
Dear list,

I agree with Stevens proposal: 16 mostly FOSS4G-experienced members, that care for selection and accompany future FOSS4G teams are quite enough for that single task.
Also: The bigger the committee, the larger the email discussions .. ;-)

Just one word to Camerons proposal: He asked me before and I agreed to chair the committee, IF the committee a) needs a chair and b) if the committee wants me to do the job.
In my eyes the "chair" is more the person, that cares for a standard operating procedure of the selection process, but has no power itself.

I have no opinion whether to vote the number of members or a chair first, but would like to get that clarified before the next selection process starts.


Regards, Till


Am 10.02.2017 um 15:09 schrieb Steven Feldman:
Answering for myself only, as Venka named me in his mail

We currently have 16 members of the committee of which 10 or 11 are past chairs of Global events

IMO that is a large, experienced and well resourced committee to review and choose the team for the next FOSS4G. 

Our newly adopted rules would allow for some additional members (2 or 3?) who weren’t past Global chairs but I don’t see any benefit from increasing the size of the committee further.

My vote would be to elect a chair from the existing members and then let the chair propose increasing the size of the committee or not.


______
Steven


On 10 Feb 2017, at 07:21, Venka <[hidden email]> wrote:

Steven and all,

Are we planning to fill the CC vacancies
as a result of Helena and Jeroen retiring?

If we are, maybe we could discuss about electing a chair
after these vacant positions are filled.

Best

Venka

On 2017/02/10 7:31, Steven Feldman wrote:
If Till was prepared to step up and take the role he would be a great candidate but I would understand if he was still chilling after Bonn

We should open this up and encourage anyone who has not chaired CC to also put their hand up. Anyone?
______
Steven


On 9 Feb 2017, at 11:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

At the moment, we don't have a chair for the conference committee, and I think that it would be good to address that.

Would committee members like to make suggestions?

I'd like to suggest Till Adams. Till has run a successful FOSS4G conference, I've seen him listen to people, be diplomatic, and help move ideas along. I think he'd make a good chair.

Thoughts?


--
Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev




_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev



_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chair for the conference committee

Eli Adam
On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I agree with Stevens proposal: 16 mostly FOSS4G-experienced members, that
> care for selection and accompany future FOSS4G teams are quite enough for
> that single task.

I also tend to think that the Conference Committee is already large
enough and slated to already grow.

> Also: The bigger the committee, the larger the email discussions .. ;-)
>
> Just one word to Camerons proposal: He asked me before and I agreed to chair
> the committee, IF the committee a) needs a chair and b) if the committee
> wants me to do the job.

I don't think that the Committee a) needs a chair but do b) support
you doing it if you want to.

> In my eyes the "chair" is more the person, that cares for a standard
> operating procedure of the selection process, but has no power itself.

I think that you would do a great job using that approach.  I would
strive to hold you or any other chair to our process,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Decisions.

>
> I have no opinion whether to vote the number of members or a chair first,
> but would like to get that clarified before the next selection process
> starts.

I think that if Venka or others want to pursue this they should
probably start another email thread discussing it and depending on
discussion start a clearly marked separate thread for the motion,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Decisions.  After some
reasonable amount of time, if that hasn't happened or concluded,
continue with the chair issue.

Best regards, Eli

>
>
> Regards, Till
>
>
>
> Am 10.02.2017 um 15:09 schrieb Steven Feldman:
>
> Answering for myself only, as Venka named me in his mail
>
> We currently have 16 members of the committee of which 10 or 11 are past
> chairs of Global events
>
> IMO that is a large, experienced and well resourced committee to review and
> choose the team for the next FOSS4G.
>
> Our newly adopted rules would allow for some additional members (2 or 3?)
> who weren’t past Global chairs but I don’t see any benefit from increasing
> the size of the committee further.
>
> My vote would be to elect a chair from the existing members and then let the
> chair propose increasing the size of the committee or not.
>
>
> ______
> Steven
>
>
> On 10 Feb 2017, at 07:21, Venka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Steven and all,
>
> Are we planning to fill the CC vacancies
> as a result of Helena and Jeroen retiring?
>
> If we are, maybe we could discuss about electing a chair
> after these vacant positions are filled.
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>
> On 2017/02/10 7:31, Steven Feldman wrote:
>
> If Till was prepared to step up and take the role he would be a great
> candidate but I would understand if he was still chilling after Bonn
>
> We should open this up and encourage anyone who has not chaired CC to also
> put their hand up. Anyone?
> ______
> Steven
>
>
> On 9 Feb 2017, at 11:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> At the moment, we don't have a chair for the conference committee, and I
> think that it would be good to address that.
>
> Would committee members like to make suggestions?
>
> I'd like to suggest Till Adams. Till has run a successful FOSS4G conference,
> I've seen him listen to people, be diplomatic, and help move ideas along. I
> think he'd make a good chair.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> M +61 419 142 254
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Chair for the conference committee

Paul Ramsey
In reply to this post by Till Adams-3
Till,
(a) glad you're willing to be chair,
(b) I do like us to have a chair, if only to always have that one point of contact who can move an issue or question forward to conclusion,
+1, super supportive of Till taking on the Chair
P

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear list,

I agree with Stevens proposal: 16 mostly FOSS4G-experienced members, that care for selection and accompany future FOSS4G teams are quite enough for that single task.
Also: The bigger the committee, the larger the email discussions .. ;-)

Just one word to Camerons proposal: He asked me before and I agreed to chair the committee, IF the committee a) needs a chair and b) if the committee wants me to do the job.
In my eyes the "chair" is more the person, that cares for a standard operating procedure of the selection process, but has no power itself.

I have no opinion whether to vote the number of members or a chair first, but would like to get that clarified before the next selection process starts.


Regards, Till



Am 10.02.2017 um 15:09 schrieb Steven Feldman:
Answering for myself only, as Venka named me in his mail

We currently have 16 members of the committee of which 10 or 11 are past chairs of Global events

IMO that is a large, experienced and well resourced committee to review and choose the team for the next FOSS4G. 

Our newly adopted rules would allow for some additional members (2 or 3?) who weren’t past Global chairs but I don’t see any benefit from increasing the size of the committee further.

My vote would be to elect a chair from the existing members and then let the chair propose increasing the size of the committee or not.


______
Steven


On 10 Feb 2017, at 07:21, Venka <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

Steven and all,

Are we planning to fill the CC vacancies
as a result of Helena and Jeroen retiring?

If we are, maybe we could discuss about electing a chair
after these vacant positions are filled.

Best

Venka

On 2017/02/10 7:31, Steven Feldman wrote:
If Till was prepared to step up and take the role he would be a great candidate but I would understand if he was still chilling after Bonn

We should open this up and encourage anyone who has not chaired CC to also put their hand up. Anyone?
______
Steven


On 9 Feb 2017, at 11:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

At the moment, we don't have a chair for the conference committee, and I think that it would be good to address that.

Would committee members like to make suggestions?

I'd like to suggest Till Adams. Till has run a successful FOSS4G conference, I've seen him listen to people, be diplomatic, and help move ideas along. I think he'd make a good chair.

Thoughts?


--
Cameron Shorter
M <a href="tel:+61%20419%20142%20254" value="+61419142254" target="_blank">+61 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev




_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev



_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev