CfP 2016 called for

Arnulf Christl

Re: CfP 2016 called for

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Arnulf,

Although I cannot speak for the OSGeo Conference Committee, I did table
this issue at last month's OSGeo Board meeting[1], and the Board agreed
that it is very important to get moving on this, and then a subsequent
request[2] to the OSGeo Conference Committee chair regarding the Request
for Proposal went unanswered.

This is on my mind constantly (and as recent as last night on private
IRC I mentioned this to another Board member).  I too have been
approached directly by several groups (who I believe should not be named
until they publicly choose to bid) and it has been relayed to me how
much time in advance is needed to start preparing venues etc. for an
event of FOSS4G size.

So, tomorrow at the next OSGeo Board meeting[3] we will again discuss
this issue.  Personally, I will give the OSGeo Conference Committee
members and the community until Monday to champion the 2016 request, and
if no response I will kick the process off ("git er done" so to speak).

Thanks for giving the strong nudge.  This is important and, it must/will
happen soon.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-10-16
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2014-October/012257.html
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-11-13

Yours,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President, OSGeo

On 2014-11-12 5:24 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:

> Folks,
> there are several contenders who are waiting for the FOSS4G CfP 2016
> to go out. I know for sure that FOSSGIS (the German language OSGeo
> Local Chapter) and also Lausanne in Switzerland (where the first
> edition in 2006 took place) are ready to propose. Due to the size of
> the conference and also the special anniversary (10 years hosted by
> OSGeo) we believe that it is time to get going, otherwise it may be
> hard to get an appropriate venue.
>
> Can you indicate when the CfP will be published? Or would you also
> allow early submission (because from all that I can tell the CfP will
> probably just be a slightly modified version of the past years).

Re: CfP 2016 called for

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
Hi Jeff and Arnulf,
Good point to raise and indeed we can start preparing the RFP. At the same time it is good to also note that previous RFP's did never go out before February of the year prior to the event. In general it was more March or April. Do you feel there is a need to have this go out earlier than 02-2015?
Cheers,
Jeroen

> On 12 nov. 2014, at 15:35, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Arnulf,
>
> Although I cannot speak for the OSGeo Conference Committee, I did table this issue at last month's OSGeo Board meeting[1], and the Board agreed that it is very important to get moving on this, and then a subsequent request[2] to the OSGeo Conference Committee chair regarding the Request for Proposal went unanswered.
>
> This is on my mind constantly (and as recent as last night on private IRC I mentioned this to another Board member).  I too have been approached directly by several groups (who I believe should not be named until they publicly choose to bid) and it has been relayed to me how much time in advance is needed to start preparing venues etc. for an event of FOSS4G size.
>
> So, tomorrow at the next OSGeo Board meeting[3] we will again discuss this issue.  Personally, I will give the OSGeo Conference Committee members and the community until Monday to champion the 2016 request, and if no response I will kick the process off ("git er done" so to speak).
>
> Thanks for giving the strong nudge.  This is important and, it must/will happen soon.
>
> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-10-16
> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2014-October/012257.html
> [3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-11-13
>
> Yours,
>
> -jeff
>

> --
> Jeff McKenna
> President, OSGeo
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna
>

> On 2014-11-12 5:24 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>> there are several contenders who are waiting for the FOSS4G CfP 2016
>> to go out. I know for sure that FOSSGIS (the German language OSGeo
>> Local Chapter) and also Lausanne in Switzerland (where the first
>> edition in 2006 took place) are ready to propose. Due to the size of
>> the conference and also the special anniversary (10 years hosted by
>> OSGeo) we believe that it is time to get going, otherwise it may be
>> hard to get an appropriate venue.
>>
>> Can you indicate when the CfP will be published? Or would you also
>> allow early submission (because from all that I can tell the CfP will
>> probably just be a slightly modified version of the past years).

Re: CfP 2016 called for

Darrell Fuhriman
Yes.

As the conference grows you need more time to secure a venue.

Many conferences of similar size book 3+ years out. Bigger conferences book five years out.

IMNSHO, we are already six months later than we should be.

d.

> On Nov 13, 2014, at 0:29, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeff and Arnulf,
> Good point to raise and indeed we can start preparing the RFP. At the same time it is good to also note that previous RFP's did never go out before February of the year prior to the event. In general it was more March or April. Do you feel there is a need to have this go out earlier than 02-2015?
> Cheers,
> Jeroen
>
>> On 12 nov. 2014, at 15:35, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Arnulf,
>>
>> Although I cannot speak for the OSGeo Conference Committee, I did table this issue at last month's OSGeo Board meeting[1], and the Board agreed that it is very important to get moving on this, and then a subsequent request[2] to the OSGeo Conference Committee chair regarding the Request for Proposal went unanswered.
>>
>> This is on my mind constantly (and as recent as last night on private IRC I mentioned this to another Board member).  I too have been approached directly by several groups (who I believe should not be named until they publicly choose to bid) and it has been relayed to me how much time in advance is needed to start preparing venues etc. for an event of FOSS4G size.
>>
>> So, tomorrow at the next OSGeo Board meeting[3] we will again discuss this issue.  Personally, I will give the OSGeo Conference Committee members and the community until Monday to champion the 2016 request, and if no response I will kick the process off ("git er done" so to speak).
>>
>> Thanks for giving the strong nudge.  This is important and, it must/will happen soon.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-10-16
>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2014-October/012257.html
>> [3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-11-13
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> --
>> Jeff McKenna
>> President, OSGeo
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna
>>

>>> On 2014-11-12 5:24 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>> there are several contenders who are waiting for the FOSS4G CfP 2016
>>> to go out. I know for sure that FOSSGIS (the German language OSGeo
>>> Local Chapter) and also Lausanne in Switzerland (where the first
>>> edition in 2006 took place) are ready to propose. Due to the size of
>>> the conference and also the special anniversary (10 years hosted by
>>> OSGeo) we believe that it is time to get going, otherwise it may be
>>> hard to get an appropriate venue.
>>>
>>> Can you indicate when the CfP will be published? Or would you also
>>> allow early submission (because from all that I can tell the CfP will
>>> probably just be a slightly modified version of the past years).

Re: CfP 2016 called for

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
On 2014/11/13 17:59, Darrell Fuhriman wrote:
> Yes.
>
> As the conference grows you need more time to secure a venue.
>
> Many conferences of similar size book 3+ years out. Bigger conferences book five years out.
>
> IMNSHO, we are already six months later than we should be.

Sooner the better, so lets get going with the cfp for 2016.

Venka

> d.
>
>> On Nov 13, 2014, at 0:29, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeff and Arnulf,
>> Good point to raise and indeed we can start preparing the RFP. At the same time it is good to also note that previous RFP's did never go out before February of the year prior to the event. In general it was more March or April. Do you feel there is a need to have this go out earlier than 02-2015?
>> Cheers,
>> Jeroen
>>
>>> On 12 nov. 2014, at 15:35, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Arnulf,
>>>
>>> Although I cannot speak for the OSGeo Conference Committee, I did table this issue at last month's OSGeo Board meeting[1], and the Board agreed that it is very important to get moving on this, and then a subsequent request[2] to the OSGeo Conference Committee chair regarding the Request for Proposal went unanswered.
>>>
>>> This is on my mind constantly (and as recent as last night on private IRC I mentioned this to another Board member).  I too have been approached directly by several groups (who I believe should not be named until they publicly choose to bid) and it has been relayed to me how much time in advance is needed to start preparing venues etc. for an event of FOSS4G size.
>>>
>>> So, tomorrow at the next OSGeo Board meeting[3] we will again discuss this issue.  Personally, I will give the OSGeo Conference Committee members and the community until Monday to champion the 2016 request, and if no response I will kick the process off ("git er done" so to speak).
>>>
>>> Thanks for giving the strong nudge.  This is important and, it must/will happen soon.
>>>
>>> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-10-16
>>> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2014-October/012257.html
>>> [3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-11-13
>>>
>>> Yours,
>>>
>>> -jeff
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jeff McKenna
>>> President, OSGeo
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna

Re: CfP 2016 called for

stevenfeldman
If we can get the CfP out now, or at least announce that it will be out before December, we encourage people to start thinking and planning.

For FOSS4G2013 our team had started thinking about a bid, dates and locations in 2012 almost 2 years before the event. we didn’t wait for the call for proposals.

______
Steven

On 13 Nov 2014, at 09:03, Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David William Bitner-3
+1