Cant open hdf files

Neeldip Barman
Hi,
I have tried both QGIS 3.8.3 and 3.4 but QGIS cant open HDF files from MODIS. I always get this error : "Raster layer provider is not valid".
Is it a bug with the software cause? Cause in the file types .hdf file is there.
I really like using QGIS for my work for the simplicity but this issue.

-Neeldip

Re: Cant open hdf files

Eric Fielding
>   Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 10:28:08 +0530
>    From: Neeldip Barman <[hidden email]>

>   Hi,
>  I have tried both QGIS 3.8.3 and 3.4 but QGIS cant open HDF files from
 >  MODIS. I always get this error :
 >  *"Raster layer provider is not valid". *
 > Is it a bug with the software cause? Cause in the file types .hdf file is
>   there.
>    I really like using QGIS for my work for the simplicity but this issue.
>    -Neeldip

The NASA MODIS data is stored in a type of HDF4 file called HDF-EOS. This is readable by GDAL. The QGIS downloads should include GDAL, but perhaps you did not install GDAL during your QGIS installation? The other possibility is that you have GDAL installed but the file was corrupted at some step.

++Eric

Re: Cant open hdf files

Alex Mandel-2
On 9/27/19 06:51, Fielding, Eric J (US 329A) wrote:

>>   Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 10:28:08 +0530
>>    From: Neeldip Barman <[hidden email]>
>
>>   Hi,
>>  I have tried both QGIS 3.8.3 and 3.4 but QGIS cant open HDF files from
>  >  MODIS. I always get this error :
>  >  *"Raster layer provider is not valid". *
>  > Is it a bug with the software cause? Cause in the file types .hdf file is
>>   there.
>>    I really like using QGIS for my work for the simplicity but this issue.
>>    -Neeldip
>
> The NASA MODIS data is stored in a type of HDF4 file called HDF-EOS. This is readable by GDAL. The QGIS downloads should include GDAL, but perhaps you did not install GDAL during your QGIS installation? The other possibility is that you have GDAL installed but the file was corrupted at some step.
>
> ++Eric

It works but the syntax is a little confusing in QGIS 3.x
You have to append the subdataset name to the file name to get it to open.

Apparently we answered this previously, Nov 2018
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Raster-formats-in-Qgis-3-4-tp5387220p5387355.html

It will look something like:
HDF4_EOS:EOS_GRID:"/home/user/MOD09A1.A2016313.h21v09.006.2016322094441.hdf":MOD_Grid_500m_Surface_Reflectance:sur_refl_b01

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Cant open hdf files

Neeldip Barman
Hi, Thanks for replying. I am using QGIS in windows. So it should include GDAL automatically in installation.
I will try the syntax, but it would be much better to include the syntax within the GUI.

Best regards,
Neeldip