Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

gom

Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

gom

I have a number of unmanaged SDF files in a folder. (2 point sdf files, 3 polyline (curve) sdf files) I have them authored/working nicely on an active Mapguide 2.2 server 32 bit version on IIS.  I exported them as a package and imported them to my development workstation.  Windows 7 Professional, Mapguide 2.4 RC1.  I have another test server Windows 2008 IIS with 2.4 RC2 64 bit where I did the same.

The data files are available for authoring in the Mapguide Studio/Maestro programs.  I can create data sources and use the preview functions on the programs to view the schema, attributes etc with no trouble.  I see a valid geometry property.  In addition I can preview the features and see the objects drawn as expected.  Permissions seem to be consistent across the three machines.

All the layers for 4 data sources are broken.  When I go to modify a layer, and select one of the 4 data sources, I get an errors.  When I try to create a new layer I get the same errors. Re-creating the data sources makes no difference.  (One of the polyline data sources is still  working as expected).  I edited and saved each file in AutoCAD map to ensure I could read/write them successfully.

In Maestro 4.0.2 it says “Feature Source  (xxx) has no usable feature classes.  Choose a different feature source.”, then it says “The Resource ID could not be found.”

In Mapguide Studio 2010 and 2011 it says “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”  The layer dialog shows the selected FeatureSource name and the expected schema in the dropdown list but Geometry drop down has no options.

I have tried every variation of new feature sources and layers but no luck.  Is there something I am missing?  Can anyone suggest some different tests or approaches I can take to sorting this out?

Thanks

gom

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

gom
Further to my question and continued problem with layers I can add the following.

I uninstalled Mapguide 2.4 and deleted the repository etc.  I installed 2.2 and reloaded my package file from my 2.2 production server.  I could access and use all my data sources and layers as expected.

I uninstalled and deleted the repositry etc. for 2.2 and re-installed 2.4 RC2.  I then imported the same package file.  Once again, the data sources are fine.  I can view the schema, data and preview the objects graphically.  However they still produce an error when I try to view layers, edit layers or create new layers from the data source.

The errors are exactly as shown below in my previous message.

I am at a total loss as to the issue but for now I am unable to use 2.4 at all with exisitng data, RC1 or RC2.
gom

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

gom
Further to my difficultiess with unmanged data sources in 2.4, I wonder if
the following images help.  As you can see the schema name is different in
the two previews of the same data source.  If I do this comparison on the
same datasource under 2.2 the names match.  This suggests to me an issue or
possible answer as to why I cannot create layers from these datasources?  I
have no idea why the difference exists but it happens to anything I import
from a package or anything new I create.

Schema Name of data source as shown in Maestro using the Preview function on
the Toolbar.  This is the correct or expected name.
<http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n5004980/schema1.png>

Schema Name of data source as shown in Maestro using the Local Preview
function
<http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n5004980/schema2.png>

Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources
Sep 20, 2012; 3:43pm— by gom

gom

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

gom
Further to my difficultiess with unmanged data sources in 2.4, I wonder if the following images help. As you can see the schema name is different in the two previews of the same data source. If I do this comparison on the same datasource under 2.2 the names match. This suggests to me an issue or possible answer as to why I cannot create layers from these datasources? I have no idea why the difference exists but it happens to anything I import from a package or anything new I create. Schema Name of data source as shown in Maestro using the Preview function on the Toolbar. This is the correct or expected name. schema1.png Schema Name of data source as shown in Maestro using the Local Preview function schema2.png
gom wrote
I have a number of unmanaged SDF files in a folder. (2 point sdf files, 3 polyline (curve) sdf files) I have them authored/working nicely on an active Mapguide 2.2 server 32 bit version on IIS. I exported them as a package and imported them to my development workstation. Windows 7 Professional, Mapguide 2.4 RC1. I have another test server Windows 2008 IIS with 2.4 RC2 64 bit where I did the same. The data files are available for authoring in the Mapguide Studio/Maestro programs. I can create data sources and use the preview functions on the programs to view the schema, attributes etc with no trouble. I see a valid geometry property. In addition I can preview the features and see the objects drawn as expected. Permissions seem to be consistent across the three machines. All the layers for 4 data sources are broken. When I go to modify a layer, and select one of the 4 data sources, I get an errors. When I try to create a new layer I get the same errors. Re-creating the data sources makes no difference. (One of the polyline data sources is still working as expected). I edited and saved each file in AutoCAD map to ensure I could read/write them successfully. In Maestro 4.0.2 it says "Feature Source (xxx) has no usable feature classes. Choose a different feature source.", then it says "The Resource ID could not be found." In Mapguide Studio 2010 and 2011 it says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." The layer dialog shows the selected FeatureSource name and the expected schema in the dropdown list but Geometry drop down has no options. I have tried every variation of new feature sources and layers but no luck. Is there something I am missing? Can anyone suggest some different tests or approaches I can take to sorting this out? mapguide-users mailing list [hidden email] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapguide-users

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

Jackie Ng
It's a Maestro bug. It is not encoding/decoding FDO class names correctly.

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/2136

- Jackie
gom

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

gom
Thanks for that info.

Is this related just to 2.4?  I can use Maestro as well as Mapguide Studio to work with any of these feature sources on Mapguide 2.2. (32 Bit) but I can use none of the authoring tools to create layers from unmanaged feature sources on 2.4 rc1 or rc2.  I have tried using Maestro 4.0.3, 5.0b3, Mapguide Studio 2010 and 2011.  All produce an error related to the Schema/Geometry column when I try to create the layer.

Jackie Ng wrote

- Jackie

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

Jackie Ng
No. It is strictly the class name encoding issue. FDO class names need to be encoded when stored into XML, and decoded for display purposes. FDO/MapGuide/Studio does this right, we're doing it wrong.

- Jackie
gom

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

gom
After extensive trial and error I have discovered that schema names that begin with a number, have spaces or dashes in their name will cause a problem in Mapguide 2.4.  The datasource is no problem but when you create the layer it will fail.  My schemas had all three things so I just didn't get it figured out very easily.

I have not tried every combination of these things so I can't swear that all of them are problems in schema names.  I can say for sure that some combinations of these cause grief in Maestro and Mapguide Studio.

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

Jackie Ng
Yes, the problem is in the schema names.

No, the guilty party is not MapGuide. It is Maestro for failing to encode/decode these class names correctly.

- Jackie
gom

Re: Cannot Create Layers From Feature Sources

gom
After your previous message about Maestro issues I went back to the start.
AutoCAD Map 2012 and AutoCAD Mapguide Studio were the only tools used in
creating the sdf files for my final testing.  The problems continued to
occur.  Maestro was not used at all, for any part of the process.  The
reference to Mapguide 2.4 was only included because the problem only occurs
on my Mapguide 2.4 test servers.  I have no problems when I use the files on
my Mapguide 2.2 server.

Create file in AutoCAD Map.
Author data source in Mapguide 2.2 using Mapguide Studio
Author layer in Mapguide 2.2 using Mapguide Studio
Everything works as expected

Create file in AutoCAD Map.
Author data source in Mapguide 2.4 using Mapguide Studio
Try to author layer in Mapguide 2.4 using Mapguide Studio
Won't let me create layers

I understand that there are a large number of variables when you create and
edit files in AutoCAD and then publish them to Mapguide with different
authoring tools etc.  Also a lot of variables in schema names with spaces,
dashes etc.  I am happy to leave it where it is because I can move forward
with my work.  If this problem does not occur for others than I am at a loss
to explain why I have had so many issues.

Thanks for the feedback and all the great work you do in keeping this
product moving forward.

Gord