Canada NTv2.0 grid shift files

Nicolas Cadieux
Hi,

According to your web site (see below) Canada’s NTv2.0 grid shift files are considered non-free Grids.  I have recently been in contact with NRCAN regarding this fact and they have confirm that the license of the file is now considered Open under Canada’s Open Data license.

We are now “... free to Copy, modify, publish, translate, adapt, distribute or otherwise use the Information in any medium, mode or format for any lawful purpose.”

I am there proposing that Canada’s outdated NTv1.0 file should be removed from the proj packages and be replaced by the NTv2.0 grids.  I can provide the new license, the contacts at NRCAN, if needed, and the latest NTv2.0 file in order to facilitate the proposed changes.

If you are responsible for this part of the project or if there is a more formal way of asking this change, please contact me directly.

Thanks,
Nicolas Cadieux

Btw, the link below for the file no longer works. I will provide a new link if needed during a transition period.

“Non-Free Grids

Not all grid shift files have licensing that allows them to be freely distributed, but can be obtained by users through free and legal methods.

Canada NTv2.0

Although NTv1 grid shifts are provided freely with PROJ, the higher-quality NTv2.0 file needs to be downloaded from Natural Resources Canada. More info: http://www.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/tools-outils/ntv2_e.php.”

Re: Canada NTv2.0 grid shift files

Saulteau Don
Yea, it's been licensed like that for a while now I thought and they are at http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/b3534942-31ea-59cf-bcc3-f8dc4875081a without having to create and register an account at NRCAN to get them, unless they're different and I missed something. i put in the original request to make them open =)

Not sure why they got placed under non-free. Maybe it's the liability clause that makes them non-free or not 'true' open data.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM Nicolas Cadieux <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Toews-2
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 19:48, Saulteau Don <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yea, it's been licensed like that for a while now I thought and they are at http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/b3534942-31ea-59cf-bcc3-f8dc4875081a without having to create and register an account at NRCAN to get them, unless they're different and I missed something. i put in the original request to make them open =)
>
> Not sure why they got placed under non-free. Maybe it's the liability clause that makes them non-free or not 'true' open data.

I probably added this information to the non-free section a decade
ago, back when it was on a Trac wiki. As the instructions note, at the
time you had to get a special log in to get the files. But now that it
has a more appealing license and no registration, it seems that these
files can be included for general distribution.

I've started a ticket here: https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/issues/26

Cheers,
Mike

Re: Canada NTv2.0 grid shift files

Nicolas Cadieux
Thanks,

I will look at the ticket and will be happy to help.  I just was not sure were to start to get this added in the Project.

Nicolas

> Le 16 sept. 2018 à 07:02, Mike Toews <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 19:48, Saulteau Don <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yea, it's been licensed like that for a while now I thought and they are at http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/b3534942-31ea-59cf-bcc3-f8dc4875081a without having to create and register an account at NRCAN to get them, unless they're different and I missed something. i put in the original request to make them open =)
>>
>> Not sure why they got placed under non-free. Maybe it's the liability clause that makes them non-free or not 'true' open data.
>
> I probably added this information to the non-free section a decade
> ago, back when it was on a Trac wiki. As the instructions note, at the
> time you had to get a special log in to get the files. But now that it
> has a more appealing license and no registration, it seems that these
> files can be included for general distribution.
>
> I've started a ticket here: https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/issues/26
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Re: Canada NTv2.0 grid shift files

Nicolas Cadieux
The old license was more restrictive so I guess that was the reason. I see a ticket has been made to include them in the future.
Thanks for responding.
Nicolas

Le 16 sept. 2018 à 03:45, Saulteau Don <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

I see this will be added to the North-American package file.  Do you if these files are normally part of the QGIS distribution?  Wrong place to ask? I am just not sure how various software Libraries interact with each other.  If they are not usually added, I will write a ticket on the QGIS side to have the NTv2.0 file included.

Will it be possible to modify the info on the web site?  I see a previous answer by Don that has the correct web link.  Do you have a ticket system for the web site or are you still able to modify the site?

Cheers!

Nicolas

> Le 16 sept. 2018 à 07:02, Mike Toews <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 19:48, Saulteau Don <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yea, it's been licensed like that for a while now I thought and they are at http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/b3534942-31ea-59cf-bcc3-f8dc4875081a without having to create and register an account at NRCAN to get them, unless they're different and I missed something. i put in the original request to make them open =)
>>
>> Not sure why they got placed under non-free. Maybe it's the liability clause that makes them non-free or not 'true' open data.
>
> I probably added this information to the non-free section a decade
> ago, back when it was on a Trac wiki. As the instructions note, at the
> time you had to get a special log in to get the files. But now that it
> has a more appealing license and no registration, it seems that these
> files can be included for general distribution.
>
> I've started a ticket here: https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/issues/26
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Re: Canada NTv2.0 grid shift files

Kristian Evers-3

On 17 Sep 2018, at 17:01, Nicolas Cadieux <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I see this will be added to the North-American package file.  Do you if these files are normally part of the QGIS distribution?  Wrong place to ask? I am just not sure how various software Libraries interact with each other.  If they are not usually added, I will write a ticket on the QGIS side to have the NTv2.0 file included.

As far as I am aware it is not. It is my hope that they will eventually make it so that users who need these packages can install them, i.e. as optional packages in OSGeo4W but so far that idea hasn’t really gained traction. Perhaps if enough users request it?

Yes. Feel free to submit a pull request with your changes. I believe this is the relevant file to edit: https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/blob/master/docs/source/resource_files.rst

Cheers!

Nicolas

Le 16 sept. 2018 à 07:02, Mike Toews <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 19:48, Saulteau Don <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yea, it's been licensed like that for a while now I thought and they are at http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/b3534942-31ea-59cf-bcc3-f8dc4875081a without having to create and register an account at NRCAN to get them, unless they're different and I missed something. i put in the original request to make them open =)

Not sure why they got placed under non-free. Maybe it's the liability clause that makes them non-free or not 'true' open data.

I probably added this information to the non-free section a decade
ago, back when it was on a Trac wiki. As the instructions note, at the
time you had to get a special log in to get the files. But now that it
has a more appealing license and no registration, it seems that these
files can be included for general distribution.

I've started a ticket here: https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/issues/26

Cheers,
Mike

Re: Canada NTv2.0 grid shift files

Mike Toews-2
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 19:48, Saulteau Don <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure why they got placed under non-free. Maybe it's the liability clause that makes them non-free or not 'true' open data.

While digging around this file, it turns out this file wasn't cheap in 2001:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010227084518/http://cgis.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/products/html-public/GSDapps/English/NTv2_Fact_Sheet.html

CD ROM: $195.00
Developer's License (includes CD-ROM): $995.00
CD-ROM wholesale for re-distribution (minimum 20 units): $50.00
(!)

Nevertheless, anyone can now freely download and use this file. Ensure
this file is file is named lowercase, and put in PROJ_LIB. It should
work with most versions of PROJ (back to version 4.4.7). When
released, ntv2_0.gsb should be part of version 1.2 of the
proj-datumgrid-north-america region-specific package.

Here is Kristian's ticket for OSGeo4W that should get more attention:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/560