Can't print large QGIS file

Genene Schumacher

I am using QGIS 3.4.1   I have a map of the water & sewer assets for the authorities region.

I have a list of about 20 maps created and showing in Layout Manager.  Most maps print but the one with lots of data (pipes) showing won’t export to pdf. QGIS crashes every time.

Any ideas how to get it into a pdf ?

Regards,

Genene

This e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain copyright and/or legally privileged material and/or personal information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to disclose, copy, use, distribute or in any other way make use of the information contained in it, and such activities are prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, delete the document and destroy all copies of the original message.

There is no warranty that this email is error or virus free. Please consider the environment before printing.

Re: Can't print large QGIS file

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi,

could that be a RAM problem? I remember that (in times of QGIS2) running
32bit QGIS on Windows the RAM limit per application (I remember 4 GB)
made it impossible to print larger maps (large in sense of large paper
format with many features).
What system are you running QGIS on?

Bernhard

Am 18.07.2019 um 07:47 schrieb Genene Schumacher:

> I am using QGIS 3.4.1   I have a map of the water & sewer assets for the
> authorities region.
>
> I have a list of about 20 maps created and showing in Layout Manager.
> Most maps print but the one with lots of data (pipes) showing won’t
> export to pdf. QGIS crashes every time.
>
> Any ideas how to get it into a pdf ?
>
> Regards,
>
> *Genene*

> This e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential and for the sole
> use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain copyright and/or
> legally privileged material and/or personal information. If you are not
> the intended recipient, you are not authorised to disclose, copy, use,
> distribute or in any other way make use of the information contained in
> it, and such activities are prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
> in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, delete the document
> and destroy all copies of the original message.
>
> There is no warranty that this email is error or virus free. Please
> consider the environment before printing.
>

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
> signature database 19705 (20190718) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 19705 (20190718) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Can't print large QGIS file

Stefan Giese (WhereGroup)
you can try to print it into a PDf document with a virtual PDf printer
instead of exporting from QGIS to PDF, for example with some of the free
pdf tools like https://tools.pdf24.org/en/creator

---
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Stefan Giese

Projektleiter/Consultant
  Kompaktkurs Aufbau einer GDI mit Open-Source-Software
  FOSS Academy Sommerschule: 23.-27.09.2019
  https://www.foss-academy.com/kompaktkurse.html
WhereGroup GmbH & Co. KG
Schwimmbadstr. 2
79100 Freiburg
Germany

Fon: +49 (0)761 / 519 102 - 61
Fax: +49 (0)761 / 519 102 - 11

[hidden email]
www.wheregroup.com
Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6788
-------------------------------
Komplementärin:
WhereGroup Verwaltungs GmbH
vertreten durch:
Olaf Knopp, Peter Stamm
-------------------------------

Am 2019-07-18 07:47, schrieb Genene Schumacher:

> I am using QGIS 3.4.1   I have a map of the water & sewer assets for
> the authorities region.
>
> I have a list of about 20 maps created and showing in Layout Manager.
> Most maps print but the one with lots of data (pipes) showing won't
> export to pdf. QGIS crashes every time.
>
> Any ideas how to get it into a pdf ?
>
> Regards,
>
> GENENE
>
> -------------------------
>
> This e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential and for the
> sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain copyright and/or
> legally privileged material and/or personal information. If you are
> not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to disclose, copy,
> use, distribute or in any other way make use of the information
> contained in it, and such activities are prohibited. If you have
> received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
> e-mail, delete the document and destroy all copies of the original
> message.
>
> There is no warranty that this email is error or virus free. Please
> consider the environment before printing.

Re: Can't print large QGIS file

Burghardt.Scholle

Hi Genene,

have you already tried to print directly into a PDF using a printer driver (e.g. CutePDF)? This has helped me a lot in the past.

Regards

Burghardt

Re: Can't print large QGIS file

Genene Schumacher
I'm not sure of the RAM. We run on a network.  I will go see our IT dept.

Regards,
Genene

________________________________

This e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain copyright and/or legally privileged material and/or personal information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to disclose, copy, use, distribute or in any other way make use of the information contained in it, and such activities are prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, delete the document and destroy all copies of the original message.

There is no warranty that this email is error or virus free. Please consider the environment before printing.

Re: Can't print large QGIS file

Pedro Venâncio-2
The problem is like this one?

Best regards,
Pedro Venâncio

A qui, 18/07/2019, 07:21, Genene Schumacher <[hidden email]> escreveu:
I'm not sure of the RAM. We run on a network.  I will go see our IT dept.

Regards,
Genene

could that be a RAM problem? I remember that (in times of QGIS2) running 32bit QGIS on Windows the RAM limit per application (I remember 4 GB) made it impossible to print larger maps (large in sense of large paper format with many features).
What system are you running QGIS on?

Bernhard

Am 18.07.2019 um 07:47 schrieb Genene Schumacher:
> I am using QGIS 3.4.1   I have a map of the water & sewer assets for
> the authorities region.
>
> I have a list of about 20 maps created and showing in Layout Manager.
> Most maps print but the one with lots of data (pipes) showing won’t
> export to pdf. QGIS crashes every time.
>
> Any ideas how to get it into a pdf ?
>
> Regards,
>
> *Genene*

> This e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential and for the
> sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain copyright and/or
> legally privileged material and/or personal information. If you are
> not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to disclose, copy,
> use, distribute or in any other way make use of the information
> contained in it, and such activities are prohibited. If you have
> received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
> e-mail, delete the document and destroy all copies of the original message.
>
> There is no warranty that this email is error or virus free. Please
> consider the environment before printing.
>

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
> signature database 19705 (20190718) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 19705 (20190718) __________

http://www.eset.com

This e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain copyright and/or legally privileged material and/or personal information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to disclose, copy, use, distribute or in any other way make use of the information contained in it, and such activities are prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, delete the document and destroy all copies of the original message.

There is no warranty that this email is error or virus free. Please consider the environment before printing.

Re: Can't print large QGIS file

Genene Schumacher

Yes, same problem I think.

Tried to print from a different computer and it worked.   So RAM size seems to be the issue.

Regards,

Genene