Can WKT Parser handle M and Z for POINT, POLYGON, etc?

Can WKT Parser handle M and Z for POINT, POLYGON, etc?

webbbret

I appologize in advance if this is supposed to be obvious, but looking at the API here: http://docs.geotools.org/latest/javadocs/ and WKT Parser, I could not tell if it can identify and handle M and Z and ZM for the geometry (eg. POINT, POLYGON, etc.).It also sounds like MULTILINESTRING , MULTIPOLYGON and MULTIPOINT seem to not have matching types in GEOAPI, and might not be handled? Not sure what this means.

I need a parser that will handle M and Z for the various geometry. Can  someone please confirm that Geotools can do this?

Re: Can WKT Parser handle M and Z for POINT, POLYGON, etc?

jody.garnett
Bret:

We use the JTS Topology Suite library for 95% of our geometry needs - it uses the "Simple Feature for SQL" geometry model of POINT, LINE and POLYGON. We have our own customization called WKTReader2 of the JTS WKTReader that also supports curves.

I have used this with Z before, but I cannot remember if it supports M values. The JTS Topology Suite data model is able to support coordinates with M and Z - but only uses X and Y for spatial relationships and operations.

We also have an experiment with a different geometry model, ISO geometry model, consisting of POINT, CURVE, SURFACE. We made a WKTReader for that one which reads "point,line,polygon" but creates POINT, CURVE, SURFACE.  A team in Korea has been working on adapting GeoServer to this geometry model, using a different library to perform spatial relationships.

--
Jody Garnett

On 25 July 2017 at 17:46, Bret Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:

I appologize in advance if this is supposed to be obvious, but looking at the API here: http://docs.geotools.org/latest/javadocs/ and WKT Parser, I could not tell if it can identify and handle M and Z and ZM for the geometry (eg. POINT, POLYGON, etc.).It also sounds like MULTILINESTRING , MULTIPOLYGON and MULTIPOINT seem to not have matching types in GEOAPI, and might not be handled? Not sure what this means.

I need a parser that will handle M and Z for the various geometry. Can  someone please confirm that Geotools can do this?

Re: Can WKT Parser handle M and Z for POINT, POLYGON, etc?

jody.garnett
Found it - https://github.com/locationtech/jts/blob/8e6abedeca3f3c1905c2f58c0a2dccc77f1f2f12/modules/core/src/test/java/org/locationtech/jts/io/WKTReaderTest.java

So the normal JTS WKTReader does provide support for POINTZM - which means you should be able to use it with datastores such as property datastore that use WKT to represent geometry.

--
Jody Garnett