Call for Vote: adopt new OSGeo Live logo

Call for Vote: adopt new OSGeo Live logo

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
I move that we adopt this new OSGeo Live logo (PNG version with white
background):
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/attachment/ticket/1993/osgeo-live-logo-white.png

The logo uses the emblem proposed by Alex M.

Variants are attached to the trac ticket:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1993

These include: Inkscape SVG for editing; a PNG version with a
transparent background; and a simplified SVG with text converted to
paths to avoid font problems.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director

Re: Call for Vote: adopt new OSGeo Live logo

Angelos Tzotsos
I would prefer this to be an open vote, not just a formal PSC motion,
since we did not hear feedback from the community.

How about we start a voting procedure with all three options?

Cheers,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member

Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Sure. Everyone please indicate your preferred new OSGeo Live logo:
https://doodle.com/poll/8722qwdnenphsirw

The candidates are:

Triangle (emblem by Alex M, text by Ben):
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/attachment/ticket/1993/osgeo-live-logo-white.png

Swing (by Jürgen):
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/attachment/ticket/1993/osgeo-live-cymk.svg

Heart (by Luca):
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/attachment/ticket/1993/OSGeo_live1.svg

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Angelos Tzotsos
Thanks Ben!

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Luca Delucchi
On 9 October 2017 at 23:23, Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sure. Everyone please indicate your preferred new OSGeo Live logo:
> https://doodle.com/poll/8722qwdnenphsirw
>
> The candidates are:
>
> Triangle (emblem by Alex M, text by Ben):
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/attachment/ticket/1993/osgeo-live-logo-white.png

I vote for this one, I would ask for few changes (sorry if you already
speak about this and I lost the conversation):
- make the triangle a little bit smaller
- the text with the same color of
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/attachment/ticket/1993/OSGeo_live1.svg

what do you think?

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Luca,

I like the current size of the triangle (as submitted by Alex) because
it makes the emblem distinctive even at small sizes. Do you have an
example of how much smaller you would like it? If so, please attach it
to the trac ticket.

I do not see any other examples of multiple colours in one word in the
style guide:
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf

See for example the proposed GeoForAll logo on page 5. One possibility
is to use dark green for "Live"; this breaks the colour alternation but
is consistent with the Local Chapter (Alternatives) examples on page 6.
We could insert a dot or hyphen in light green, to restore the colour
alternation and match the style of the Local Chapter (Alternatives)
examples. The dark green is stronger in my view.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Angelos Tzotsos

I see that all votes (8) so far are in favor of option #1.
Should we consider this done? We never set a voting period so I guess
48h is enough? Or should we leave the voting open until our next meeting
(where we can make a motion to accept the new logo)?

Best,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Cameron Shorter
Angelos,

Lets call this vote closed. It is not controversial, and has been
supported in IRC too.

I guess a lesson for us is that we should follow Jody's lead and declare
the time period for a vote when we start it.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Open Technologies Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254
http://shorter.net

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Angelos Tzotsos
ok, lets make a motion to accept it then.

On 10 October 2017 at 21:21, Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Luca,

Hi,
sorry for the delay, I had no time to make a new proposal...

I'm fine with your proposal!

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Angelos,

I think we can wait until our next meeting. We could also chat about
minor tweaks to the text (the letterspacing and dot/hyphen change I
mentioned). After the meeting I will make a pull request to add the logo
variants to the OSGeoLive-doc repo.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Angelos Tzotsos
Thank you Ben.

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Open Vote: OSGeo Live Logo

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Thanks, everyone. The Triangle logo has unanimous support:

Triangle (emblem by Alex M, text by Ben):
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/attachment/ticket/1993/osgeo-live-logo-white.png

I will prepare pull requests.

Kind regards,
Ben.