Cache performance

Eric Wolf-2
I'm trying to boost the speed of our tilecache. Some of the things I am exploring are:

1. How to get the OS (Ubuntu 11.10 server) to use disk caching better.

2. What file system (and parameters, like block size) is best for a large tilecache?

3. What are you seeing in benefits by optimizing the tiles? (i.e., reducing JPG quality, shrinking PNGs)

I did see a noticeable performance increase using MOD_PYTHON but I would get tiles not rendering in very inconsistent patterns. Fast-CGI was slower but I get perfect consistency.

-Eric