CSS support

Christopher Schmidt-2
Browsers often offer a way to 'disable page colors', as a way to turn
off silly things like the yellow-on-red that so many people love to
choose.

However, this setting *also* turns off background images.

Currently, the Panel/Toolbar code is entirely controlled via background
images and CSS.

This means that with the 'use page colors' on, the Toolbar goes away.

Now, I'm personally of the opinion that if you're turning this off,
you're likely to see other problems as well, but I would like to hear
what other people think on this. Can the toolbar code depend on CSS? Or
is the level of control offered by CSS not enough of a motivator to
possibly have tools dissappear?

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: CSS support

Garthan
Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> Browsers often offer a way to 'disable page colors', as a way to turn
> off silly things like the yellow-on-red that so many people love to
> choose.
>
> However, this setting *also* turns off background images.
>
> Currently, the Panel/Toolbar code is entirely controlled via background
> images and CSS.
>
> This means that with the 'use page colors' on, the Toolbar goes away.
>
> Now, I'm personally of the opinion that if you're turning this off,
> you're likely to see other problems as well, but I would like to hear
> what other people think on this. Can the toolbar code depend on CSS? Or
> is the level of control offered by CSS not enough of a motivator to
> possibly have tools dissappear?
>
> Regards,

Seems that disable page colors option should be treated like.. turning
of javascript... and lots more people turn off javascript.
If you mangle your browser lots of the web will not work and those doing
it should be prepared for things not working.

Re: CSS support

Cameron Shorter
I'm pretty gun shy when it comes to CSS. I've seen a number of attempts
to use CSS which worked on one browser, but not on another, or caused
funny things to happen when you create a small or big window, or ...

Consequently, I think the CSS expertise amongst developers is a lot
lower than Javascript expertise and I think we should be wary of asking
developers to use CSS.

This is unfortunate because the vision of CSS is great. I just think we
need to be careful where we apply it.

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au