CS-MAP: NSRS 2007 & NSRS 2011

Norm Olsen-2
Hello All . . .

I have submitted all code required for the subject features to the
svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/csmap repository.  What I submitted was tested
in both Windows and Linux.  On Windows, I use Visual C++ Studio,
version 8 on Windows 7.  On Linux, I'm using gcc version 4.4.7 on
platform running CentOS 6.3.

Issues that I am aware of:

1> While my sandbox copy compiled and tested fine on Linux, after
submission to the trunk it did not.  The problem appears to be related
to changes to a module named csIoUtil.hpp which was only recently
submitted (16 April 2014).  The Windows version of the current trunk
(csIoUtil.hpp included) does compile without a problem.  I suspect the
submitter of this module may need to verify his/her work functions
properly under Linux.  I consider it unlikely that the two revisions
being submitted are interfering with each other.

2> The latest version of Visual C++ that I have access to is 9.0 (i.e.
2008).  Therefore, I am unable to test (and therefore did not modify)
Visual C++ project files for versions 10.0 and 11.0 with the new code
modules required by this upgrade.  Clearly, some new source code files
will need to be added to these project files.  The "make" files (both
.mak and .nmk) have been updated and appear to produce the necessary
results.

3> A full implementation of the NSRS 2007 and NSRS 2011 feature requires
data files which total out at about 300 megabytes.  That's because there
are:
    a> a latitude, longitude, and a vertical file for each geographic area,
    b> two large geographic areas (US48 & Alaska) and a relatively tiny
one (Puerto Rico), and
    c> there exists a complete set for converting from HARN to NSRS
2007, and
    d> another complete set for converting from NSRS 2007 to NSRS 2011, and
    e> the grids are very dense; the cell size is one minute by one
minute (even for Alaska!!!).
These data files are not required unless a user requests a conversion to
or from one of the NSRS datums.  Thus, a distribution does not
absolutely have to include all 300 megabytes.  A decision on how to
handle this will need to be made.  I have suggested a de-densification
of these data files, but received no responses.

4> The NameMapper has been updated with the latest information on the
EPSG and ESRI versions of all NSRS related CRS definitions.  I have no
information on Oracle or anyone else.

Enjoy.

Norm
--
Norm Olsen
CsMap Consultant

PS> Due to incessant robo-calls, I check messages left on the land line
voice mail only rarely, like once a month.  Messages left on cellular
voice mail are checked daily.

Re: CS-MAP: NSRS 2007 & NSRS 2011

Jackie Ng
Speaking as a downstream consumer of the CS-Map library, I shudder at the thought of the MapGuide Open Source installer in the future being inflated by ~300MB to accommodate these new data files.

I do hope there will be some discussion about how to optimize these data files for size. Failing that, being able to selectively exclude such huge data files in a clean way without compromising the functionality of the CS-Map library. I'd rather a 150MB MapGuide OS installer than a 450MB one.

- Jackie

Re: CS-MAP: NSRS 2007 & NSRS 2011

Hugues Wisniewski
Hi Jackie,

This topic has been discussed a few time but so far, nothing has been implemented along those lines.

On another topic, I see that VC10 and VC11 project files have not been updated with this latest submission from Norm.
Isn't MapGuide built with a VC10 or 11 solution?
Isn't this breaking the MapGuide build?

Thanks

Hugues

Speaking as a downstream consumer of the CS-Map library, I shudder at the thought of the MapGuide Open Source installer in the future being inflated by ~300MB to accommodate these new data files.

I do hope there will be some discussion about how to optimize these data files for size. Failing that, being able to selectively exclude such huge data files in a clean way without compromising the functionality of the CS-Map library. I'd rather a 150MB MapGuide OS installer than a 450MB one.

- Jackie

Re: CS-MAP: NSRS 2007 & NSRS 2011

Jackie Ng
Hi Hugues,

Yes trunk MapGuide is currently broken for Windows. When we branch for 2.6, we'll be switching to the older 14.01 CS-Map branch so this particular issue won't affect us for the purpose of releasing MapGuide Open Source 2.6.

- Jackie

Re: CS-MAP: NSRS 2007 & NSRS 2011

Jackie Ng
I've made a patch that should fix the VC10 and VC11 project files

http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/ticket/171

- Jackie

Re: CS-MAP: NSRS 2007 & NSRS 2011

Jackie Ng
I found some more errors building CS-Map trunk on Ubuntu 14.04 with gcc 4.8

Patch attached: http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/ticket/172

- Jackie