CMYK implementation in QGIS?

Alexandre Neto

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there are any plans for implementing CMYK color mode in QGIS?

As you probably know, for offset printing controling the CMYK colors are a must. Right now you need to export the map in rgb an then use some other software to change the colors from rgb to cmyk.

If there are no plans for that, can someone give me anideia of what would need to be done?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Alexandre Neto

Re: CMYK implementation in QGIS?

Nyall Dawson
On 18 December 2014 at 01:31, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anyone know if there are any plans for implementing CMYK color mode in
> QGIS?

I did a bit of research yesterday and it looks like we're out of luck
until the underlying Qt libraries (QPainter, QPrinter, QtSvg) gain
support for CMYK. We could add support for selecting CMYK colours into
the new colour picker, but currently all of the export options
available in Qt convert colours back to RGB prior to export.

> If there are no plans for that, can someone give me anideia of what would
> need to be done?

It would need to be implemented in Qt, but I can't find much
information about whether this is planned or not. Here's a couple of
relevant reports (with almost zero activity):

I'm also not sure if Qt has a culture of sponsored targeted
development, or who you could get to tackle this... I'm interested to
know any findings you have though, as there's a number of similar Qt
limitations which really hold us back:
(also there's a report that I can't find right now about allowing
editing of PDF metadata)

Nyall

Re: CMYK implementation in QGIS?

Alexandre Neto

Thank you Nyall.

I will report back to the interested folks in the qgis pt user group. And we will try to see if it's possible to target sponsor qt to unblock those limitations in the future.

Best regards,

Alexandre