CLI working again

Michael Barton
CLI working again I got the CLI for wxgrass working again. You can type in any command (GRASS or shell).

Non-GRASS commands will simply be passed to the shell.

GRASS commands without arguments (e.g. g.region) will open their properties dialogs for non-display commands. d.* commands without arguments will add a layer to the GUI layer tree and open their respective properties dialog (e.g., d.rast).

GRASS commands with arguments (e.g., g.region rast=elevation.10m) will be passed to the GRASS command shell for processing. d.* commands with arguments (e.g., d.rast elevation.10m) will display their results in the currently selected map display. Multiple display commands separated by commas will send overlaying graphic results to the current map display (e.g., d.rast elevation.10m,d.vect roads color=red).

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: CLI working again

William Kyngesburye
I've been meaning to ask about wxgrass and CLI stuff - you're
obviously working on a GUI psuedo-terminal for running commands the
old-fashioned CLI way.  I take it there is/will be no need for
something like 'grass-xterm-wrapper', and any place that the TclTk
GUI used that this pseudo terminal will work in wxgrass?

PS. did you ever get a chance to try my Terminal-enabled version of
grass-xterm-wrapper?  I've been lazy in committing it, so you'd have
to dig it out of the email, or maybe I should just commit it
anyways.  It's in my binaries and I haven't heard of any problems yet...

On Jun 6, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> I got the CLI for wxgrass working again. You can type in any
> command (GRASS or shell).
>
> Non-GRASS commands will simply be passed to the shell.
>
> GRASS commands without arguments (e.g. g.region) will open their
> properties dialogs for non-display commands. d.* commands without
> arguments will add a layer to the GUI layer tree and open their
> respective properties dialog (e.g., d.rast).
>
> GRASS commands with arguments (e.g., g.region rast=elevation.10m)
> will be passed to the GRASS command shell for processing. d.*
> commands with arguments (e.g., d.rast elevation.10m) will display
> their results in the currently selected map display. Multiple
> display commands separated by commas will send overlaying graphic
> results to the current map display (e.g., d.rast elevation.
> 10m,d.vect roads color=red).
>
> Michael

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Re: CLI working again

Michael Barton
Hi William,

On 6/8/07 7:15 AM, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been meaning to ask about wxgrass and CLI stuff - you're
> obviously working on a GUI psuedo-terminal for running commands the
> old-fashioned CLI way.  I take it there is/will be no need for
> something like 'grass-xterm-wrapper', and any place that the TclTk
> GUI used that this pseudo terminal will work in wxgrass?

This should be unnecessary for a couple of reasons. One is that the new
wxgrass is native Mac, rather than xwindows. So stuff will run from the
regular terminal. The other is the desire to include a built in terminal
feature. This already exists in the TclTk version, but most people don't
notice or take advantage of it--probably because it's kind of on the 'busy'
side.

> PS. did you ever get a chance to try my Terminal-enabled version of
> grass-xterm-wrapper?  I've been lazy in committing it, so you'd have
> to dig it out of the email, or maybe I should just commit it
> anyways.  It's in my binaries and I haven't heard of any problems yet...

I guess I didn't but I'm not sure. I assumed that it was in the cvs. I've
probably buried your email somewhere. But it must be working somehow, since
I use the terminal for everything in the TclTk/x11 version of GRASS and
don't need to use the x11 terminal. I'm compiling from your *.app setup.

Michael

On Jun 8, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Hi William,
>

> On 6/8/07 7:15 AM, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've been meaning to ask about wxgrass and CLI stuff - you're
>> obviously working on a GUI psuedo-terminal for running commands the
>> old-fashioned CLI way.  I take it there is/will be no need for
>> something like 'grass-xterm-wrapper', and any place that the TclTk
>> GUI used that this pseudo terminal will work in wxgrass?
>
> This should be unnecessary for a couple of reasons. One is that the
> new
> wxgrass is native Mac, rather than xwindows. So stuff will run from
> the
> regular terminal. The other is the desire to include a built in
> terminal
> feature. This already exists in the TclTk version, but most people
> don't
> notice or take advantage of it--probably because it's kind of on
> the 'busy'
> side.

I kinda figured it wouldn't need some sort of external pseudo-
terminal thing and be able to use its own.  Just checking.

>> PS. did you ever get a chance to try my Terminal-enabled version of
>> grass-xterm-wrapper?  I've been lazy in committing it, so you'd have
>> to dig it out of the email, or maybe I should just commit it
>> anyways.  It's in my binaries and I haven't heard of any problems
>> yet...
>
> I guess I didn't but I'm not sure. I assumed that it was in the
> cvs. I've
> probably buried your email somewhere. But it must be working
> somehow, since
> I use the terminal for everything in the TclTk/x11 version of GRASS
> and
> don't need to use the x11 terminal. I'm compiling from your *.app
> setup.

So, the create location by projection values opens in a Terminal?
Then yes, you must have installed it into your source.  When you
update your CVS you probably always get a line "M lib/init/grass-
xterm-wrapper".

I'll commit it then, to make it official.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro