CFV / GeoNetwork v3.99.0

Francois Prunayre

Dear PSC,

Here is a proposal to make a first beta release of GeoNetwork 3.99.0 using Elasticsearch. This release is all about search (https://github.com/geonetwork/doc/blob/3.99.x/source/overview/change-log/version-3.99.0.rst). It is numbered 3.99.0 (beta) because the main functionalities are now operational (ie. search/editing/admin/csw) and need some testing and feedback from the community. Also note that a number of search services are not available currently ie. only CSW is fully operational + the main search service based on Elasticsearch API.

The proposal consist of:

* Rename branch `es` to `3.99.x` in github (see https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/tree/es)

* Release the version 3.99.0 on sourceforge in development version folder (https://sourceforge.net/projects/geonetwork/files/GeoNetwork_unstable_development_versions/)

* Publish the documentation for this release on the website (https://github.com/geonetwork/doc/tree/3.99.x.)

* Publish the docker version in GeoNetwork organization

* Create a nightly build in http://nightlybuild.geonetwork-opensource.org/

Thanks to the main supporters of this work (EEA https://sdi.eea.europa.eu/, Metawal http://metawal.wallonie.be/, Ifremer https://sextant.ifremer.fr/) and all developers.

Looking forward to your vote.

Francois & Jose.

Re: CFV / GeoNetwork v3.99.0

Olivier Guyot
Hi,

Not voting since I'm not on the PSC but just wanted to say: thanks a *lot* François and Jose for all your work on this awesome goal, we're ALMOST there! Let's do this beta release so that people can actually start putting their hand on all the new stuff!

Cheers!
--
camptocamp
INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS

Olivier Guyot
Geospatial Developer
+33 4 58 48 20 28

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 6:47 PM Francois Prunayre <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Florent gravin-2
Hi Francois,

Thanks for this proposal and the great work involved.
I'm not sure about the 3.99 though, but why not.

What's the gap between the 4.0 we expect ? It's not clear in your document. In terms of features and delay.
If it's pretty close, we can go for simple 4.0-beta, if still quite far, 4.0-alpha ..
But if the content may change a lot so ok for a special tag.

Regards

[...]

Florent Gravin
Technical Leader - Architect
+33 4 58 48 20 36

Re: CFV / GeoNetwork v3.99.0

Francois Prunayre
Hi Florent,

Le ven. 24 avr. 2020 à 09:40, Florent Gravin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Francois,

Thanks for this proposal and the great work involved.
I'm not sure about the 3.99 though, but why not.
What's the gap between the 4.0 we expect ? It's not clear in your document. In terms of features and delay.
If it's pretty close, we can go for simple 4.0-beta, if still quite far, 4.0-alpha ..
But if the content may change a lot so ok for a special tag.

No objection to put another number on this version. But from my point of view to put a 4.xyz, we need some (probably not all) of the existing features not implemented (see https://github.com/geonetwork/doc/blob/3.99.x/source/overview/change-log/version-3.99.0.rst#existing-features-not-implemented) added.
So I think the gap will depend for everyone.

For me, at least multilingual support which is one of the major ones in the list must be added for a 4.0.0 (and it may involve some changes server and client side). Some may want to have INSPIRE Atom, some SRU, ... and for the time being I don't think we have funding for those parts of the application.

Any other opinions on numbering ?

Cheers.

Francois

Regards

[...]

Emanuele Tajariol-2
Hi Francois,

great work, thank you!

About version numbering I think we should move to a "4.something". Moving to a major version is usually about API changes and major internal changes, not about features that have been implemented or still missing, so I'd guess this is out case. Maybe a "4.0 feature preview" would be fine.

   Cheers,
   Emanuele

P.S.: pls make sure other PSC received this mail, I found most of the thread in the spam folder :(

Il giorno ven 24 apr 2020 alle ore 09:56 Francois Prunayre <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Emanuele Tajariol

==

==

Ing. Emanuele Tajariol

Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.

Via di Montramito 3/A

55054 Massarosa (LU)

Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313

fax: +39 0584 1660272

http://www.geo-solutions.it

http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: CFV / GeoNetwork v3.99.0

Jose Garcia
Hi

+1 for me.

So if it sounds fine, I think we can move to 4.x version numbers and use alpha for now, something like 4.0.0.alpha-1.

Regards,
Jose García

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:48 AM Emanuele Tajariol (GeoSolutions) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards,

Jose García

Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
The Netherlands
T: <a href="tel:+31318416664" style="font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif" target="_blank">+31 (0)318 416664

Re: CFV / GeoNetwork v3.99.0

Jo Cook
4.0.0.alpha-1  works for me too, so +1

Jo

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 10:55 AM Emanuele Tajariol (GeoSolutions) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For urgent responses at that time, please visit support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

Astun Technology Ltd, Epsom Square Centre, 6-7 The Derby Square, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8AG, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech

Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: CFV / GeoNetwork v3.99.0

GeoNetwork developer mailing list
Hi François,
+1 from me with a 4.xxx something numbering as well.
Cheers,
Jeroen

Op 23 apr. 2020 om 18:47 heeft Francois Prunayre <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven: