CD ROM IMPORT PROBLEM

P_J_Dolan
Hi,
I am a new GRASS owner who is having the following difficulty......

Does anyone out there know how to import data from a CD ROM into the
GRASS package ?  I am trying to import data from the EPA's Global
Ecosystems Database CD ROM.  The CD ROM data has be "dumped" to the
same directory that GRASS4.0 is running from, but after involking
the "v.import" command no raster and/or vector datasets are being recognised
by GRASS.  I know the data is there as  UNIX commands show it to be there
when using GRASS.  I am running GRASS on a SUN sparc2 station using
OPEN WINDOWS.
The documentation with the EPA's CD ROM states that the data can
be imported into GRASS without any problem. However has not worked for me.
Can anyone help me with this problem.  I'm sure there must be a simple
solution to this importation task.

Thanks..........

Pat Dolan,
Algorithm Development Facility,
Earth Observation Data Centre,
Royal Aerospace Establishment,
Farnborough,  Hamphire,
England.

Re: CD ROM IMPORT PROBLEM

Jinn-Guey Lay
>Ecosystems Database CD ROM.  The CD ROM data has be "dumped" to the
>same directory that GRASS4.0 is running from, but after involking
>the "v.import" command no raster and/or vector datasets are being recognised
>by GRASS.  I know the data is there as  UNIX commands show it to be there
>Pat Dolan,

The GRASS command "v.import" will read data file from the
subdirectories under <mapset> with regard of the data format.

It will read, I think,  Ascii dlg files from <mapset>/dlg
                      binary dlg           <mapset>/bdlg
                      Ascii vector         <mapset>/dig_ascii
              binary vector        <mapset>/dig

One way to check this is to run "v.import" with the
spearfish/PERMANENT datat set. At the prompt to input
file name, type "list" to list the files available to
GRASS for input, by checking these file names with
the contents of the likely directory, you can figure out
which directory GRASS is looking for files. With OPEN WINDOW,
I am sure you can check this without much effort. This was how
I figured out the solution while ago.

Good luck!

Jinn-Guey Lay
Department of Geography
University of Hawaii at Manoa

Re: CD ROM IMPORT PROBLEM

Mary Martin-4
did you first make a dlg directory under your current $LOCATION,
and then copy the CD ROM files into it, before running v.import?
(check out the man entry for v.import.)

(To see whether you already have a dlg directory in your
current $LOCATION, you can type "ls $LOCATION" )