C1001 internal error when building Oem/lib_json in Release|x64

C1001 internal error when building Oem/lib_json in Release|x64

Jackie Ng
Hi All,

Just a heads up, Oem/lib_json fails to build (at least on my machine) when building it in Release|x64 configuration with Visual Studio 2015 Update 1. The error output looks like this:

1>c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 14.0\vc\include\vector(1656): fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
1>  (compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 246)
1>   To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
1>  Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
1>   Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
1>    link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x2d4bd
1>    link!DllGetC2Telemetry()+0xae663

All other configurations build fine.

I'm going to try building this on another machine just to see if it is not isolated to this one particular machine.

- Jackie

Re: C1001 internal error when building Oem/lib_json in Release|x64

Jackie Ng
Just confirmed that this is happening on my laptop as well (that runs a different version of Windows, but same VS 2015 Update 1 toolset)

- Jackie

Re: C1001 internal error when building Oem/lib_json in Release|x64

Jackie Ng
I've found the error goes away if I turn off optimization in Release|x64, however this isn't really acceptable as a workaround. If we're building in release mode, everything should be optimized!

Strangely enough, if I take their latest jsoncpp source and generate VS 2015 projects files with the CMake generator, its Release|x64 configuration does not cause C1001 and it has optimization settings enabled!

So I'm going to try grafting their CMake-generated VS2015 project files onto our one to see how it goes.

- Jackie

Re: C1001 internal error when building Oem/lib_json in Release|x64

Andy Zhang
Hi Jackie,

It seems this is a general issue of VS2015 update 1. Many Autodesk products don't build with it and there are no plans to support the update right now. We are in the process of evaluating the update and will let you know if there is a decision. Before this, please use VS2015 RTM.

Best Regards
Andy

Re: C1001 internal error when building Oem/lib_json in Release|x64

Jackie Ng
I've identified the culprit as the AssemblerOutput option in the ClCompile settings for the jsoncpp project file. Removing that flag fixes the internal error.

https://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/2580

- Jackie