Bushfire mapathon - kudos

John Bryant
I wasn't able to attend the SSSI National Bushfire Recovery Map-a-thon yesterday, but thanks to the open-access chat, I was able to follow along as an observer as I had time. It sounded like it went well, with a lot of participation, including a large number of people encountering OpenStreetMap for the first time.

I want to shine a bit of a spotlight on Andrew Harvey, Phil Wyatt, and Ewen Hill. They each put in a considerable effort in making the event a success: securing waivers, answering questions from organisers, providing technical support, and helping new mappers find their way.

When the event organisers had some difficulties due to unfamiliarity with the OSM project & community, Andrew, Phil, & Ewen really stepped up at short notice to make sure that new mappers had a great experience, handling themselves professionally and staying positive & productive throughout. And, I'll note - they're not done yet, these guys are still working on waivers, data cleanup, and lessons learned, even after most of the event participants have moved on.

Great work you guys. Made me feel proud to be part of such a great community.

Cheers
John

Re: Bushfire mapathon - kudos

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 14:56, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great work you guys. Made me feel proud to be part of such a great community.

Yep, thanks everybody!

I was wondering how everyone went?

I went in yesterday & did a couple of squares using LPI imagery & mapping every building & other POI that I could spot - wonder how they're going to go with validating them? :-)

Still working on it today & a sort-of related question - back-yard swimming pools - map them (access=private) or not?

  Thanks

Graeme

Re: [talk-au] Bushfire mapathon - kudos

Ewen Hill
John,
    Thank you for the kind words and thank you to all of those behind the scenes who got the mapathong over the line,,,just.

    A special note of appreciation to Oscar So who worked diligently throughout the day to make the Melbourne meetup run smoothly and answer a myriad of questions from newbies to QGIS experts. Thanks Oscar

Ewen

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 15:58, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill
Internet Development Australia