Budgeting project event support for 2018

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Budgeting project event support for 2018

Anita Graser
Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS1,500code sprint
QGIS2,0003,0001x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer1,5002,0001x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project2,000code sprint
OpenLayers2,000code sprint
MapServer5,000code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPScode sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE3,000GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences, generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw2,000code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita





_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

Anita Graser
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Bob Basques <[hidden email]> wrote:
GeoMoose hit almost all of it's listed items in it's request from last year.  The outreach plan hasn't changed for this year either, except maybe to expand.​

​That's great to hear, thanks Bob!​

It might be helpful to see what was actually accomplished by each requester this year as well.  May including a breakdown of expenditures if possible.

​I understand the intention. That information would certainly be interesting to understand what this kind of events are like budget-wise. That said, I also hope to keep the bureaucratic overhead to a minimum for everyone involved. I don't think we need a breakdown of expenditures for the purpose of budgeting OSGeo for 2018. ​How about asking for an estimate of overall event budget and OSGeo funding share for 2017 events?

Regards,
Anita

 

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

blammo
Anita,

See inline . . .

On Sep 26, 2017, at 4:24 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

It might be helpful to see what was actually accomplished by each requester this year as well.  May including a breakdown of expenditures if possible.

​I understand the intention. That information would certainly be interesting to understand what this kind of events are like budget-wise. That said, I also hope to keep the bureaucratic overhead to a minimum for everyone involved. I don't think we need a breakdown of expenditures for the purpose of budgeting OSGeo for 2018. ​How about asking for an estimate of overall event budget and OSGeo funding share for 2017 events?

Agreed on this last.  I fully intended it to be a casual ask sort of thing, and purely voluntary.  I was thinking about an itemized expense list from the past year might be a good method for requesting for the next year, etc.  At least if the numbera are taken with a Grain of salt.  :c)

We never even went after any of the requested funding from last year, mostly because this is the first I heard of anything getting ratified on the idea.

We have a bunch of stuff coming up in the next couple of months for example, and a few more ideas for longer term this year as well.  We’ve got a bit of momentum going after releasing GeoMoose 3.0. The GeoMoose project has even set up a fical agent for this sort of thing since requesting monies last year.  

If you ask me, this Project management stuff is way harder that just coding.  :c)  .  But it seems worthwhile 

bobb



The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.
—A. A. Milne


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by Anita Graser
This was an annual budget, I guess we could of asked for an update during the AGM reports.

I assume the next board will go trip that the same communication we did in November to establish budget expectations for a budget approval in the December meeting.

We still need to check the AGM and see what committees we have not heard from and invite them to the next board meeting.
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:22 PM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS1,500code sprint
QGIS2,0003,0001x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer1,5002,0001x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project2,000code sprint
OpenLayers2,000code sprint
MapServer5,000code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPScode sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE3,000GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences, generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw2,000code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
--
--
Jody Garnett

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

Angelos Tzotsos
In reply to this post by Anita Graser
Thanks Anita,

This is a good idea, to actually start planning the budget earlier this year.

Regards,
Angelos

On 09/26/2017 10:43 PM, Anita Graser wrote:
Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related
events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (
https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS 1,500 code sprint
QGIS 2,000 3,000 1x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer 1,500 2,000 1x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project 2,000 code sprint
OpenLayers 2,000 code sprint
MapServer 5,000 code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPS code sprint, see request details
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE 3,000 GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences,
generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and
other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE
code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw 2,000 code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending
this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next
year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the
information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita



_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


-- 
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by Anita Graser
Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​

GeoServer1,5002,0001x developer meeting / sprint
We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?

GeoServer spending was $2500 as I understand it:
1) $2000 developer meeting / sprint as planned, finally shipping the result with upcoming GeoServer 2.12 release candidate this week 
2) $500 sponsor marlin developer presentation at Java One (key RnD enabling GeoServer WMS to scale with multiple threads, finally being added to OpenJDK)

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the information they need to start planning.

Yes, please ask project teams now so they have more time to think about 2018 activities.

For the code-sprint funding in particular projects need to keep in mind our process, which involves a code sprint budget and some fundraising.

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

blammo
In reply to this post by Anita Graser
All,

What’s the process for using the requested funding for the GeoMoose project?  Can we still use these monies this year for example?  We haven’t gone after any of the requested funding yet as we’ve been wanting to set up a fiscal agent first.   That’s close to being completed now.

Thanks

bobb



On Sep 26, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS 1,500 code sprint
QGIS 2,000 3,000 1x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer 1,500 2,000 1x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project 2,000 code sprint
OpenLayers 2,000 code sprint
MapServer 5,000 code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPS code sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE 3,000 GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences, generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw 2,000 code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. “
- Mark Twain





_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

Sanghee Shin

Hello Bob,

 

I believe GeoMoose project team sill can request the fund for code sprint. Please take a look at this https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines You can also see the real case of OSGeo Java Code Sprint here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Java_2017_Code_Sprint

 

Cheers,

신상희
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
www.gaia3d.com

 

보낸 사람: [hidden email]
보낸 날짜: 2017 9 29일 금요일 오전 6:33
참조: [hidden email]
제목: Re: [Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

 

All,

 

What’s the process for using the requested funding for the GeoMoose project?  Can we still use these monies this year for example?  We haven’t gone after any of the requested funding yet as we’ve been wanting to set up a fiscal agent first.   That’s close to being completed now.

 

Thanks

 

bobb

 

 

 

On Sep 26, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

 

Hi,

 

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525

​)​

GRASS

1,500

code sprint

QGIS

2,000

3,000

1x developer meeting & 1x user conference

GeoServer

1,500

2,000

1x developer meeting / sprint

ZOO-Project

2,000

code sprint

OpenLayers

2,000

code sprint

MapServer

5,000

code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)

PyWPS

code sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html

GeoMOOSE

3,000

GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences, generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop

pycsw

2,000

code sprint

 

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?

 

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the information they need to start planning.

 

Regards,

Anita

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board

 


"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. “

- Mark Twain

 

 

 

 


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by blammo
Your project steering committee makes a motion, and you ask the treasurer. This is how GeoServer was able to assist the marlin project's java one fundraiser. 



I should say that most projects budget only outlined a need for code-sprint funding, which really helped figure out how much we needed to set aside for that this year. Prior experience indicated that sponsor donations often mean that code sprints turn a profit, so OSGeo can often carry money from event to event ...  Our procedure for code sprint is designed to make sure the team is putting some effort into attracting sponsorship, and that allows OSGeo both provide initial money (to rent facilities) before sponsorship comes through, and to backfill in the event of a loss so our volunteers are not personally on the hook (it is stressful enough running one of these events).
--
Jody Garnett

On 28 September 2017 at 14:33, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,

What’s the process for using the requested funding for the GeoMoose project?  Can we still use these monies this year for example?  We haven’t gone after any of the requested funding yet as we’ve been wanting to set up a fiscal agent first.   That’s close to being completed now.

Thanks

bobb



On Sep 26, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS 1,500 code sprint
QGIS 2,000 3,000 1x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer 1,500 2,000 1x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project 2,000 code sprint
OpenLayers 2,000 code sprint
MapServer 5,000 code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPS code sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE 3,000 GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences, generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw 2,000 code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. “
- Mark Twain





_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

jody.garnett
One thing to keep in mind - it is not clear about taking money from year to year.

The marketing committee had this question: wondering if it could use "unspent" money from last year towards this years goals. Since we expected to have to print a lot of new banners for local chapters.  We were told no ... that the budget did not carry forward from year to year. I am kind of okay with that, it does mean that for long term planning a bit more discussion is needed - which is good for transparency.

A similar issue is before project steering committees, especially when funds have been donated towards a projects (open layers was sponsored this year) or towards an initiative (the global travel grant program has been sponsored this year).  I expect these means we need a little project by project accounting beyond the OSGeo annual budget. I would like to sort this out with the treasurer; as I do not want each project steering committee to have to incorporate in order to have a bank account (it is one of the things we founded OSGeo to do for the projects).


--
Jody Garnett

On 28 September 2017 at 21:01, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Your project steering committee makes a motion, and you ask the treasurer. This is how GeoServer was able to assist the marlin project's java one fundraiser. 



I should say that most projects budget only outlined a need for code-sprint funding, which really helped figure out how much we needed to set aside for that this year. Prior experience indicated that sponsor donations often mean that code sprints turn a profit, so OSGeo can often carry money from event to event ...  Our procedure for code sprint is designed to make sure the team is putting some effort into attracting sponsorship, and that allows OSGeo both provide initial money (to rent facilities) before sponsorship comes through, and to backfill in the event of a loss so our volunteers are not personally on the hook (it is stressful enough running one of these events).
--
Jody Garnett

On 28 September 2017 at 14:33, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,

What’s the process for using the requested funding for the GeoMoose project?  Can we still use these monies this year for example?  We haven’t gone after any of the requested funding yet as we’ve been wanting to set up a fiscal agent first.   That’s close to being completed now.

Thanks

bobb



On Sep 26, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS 1,500 code sprint
QGIS 2,000 3,000 1x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer 1,500 2,000 1x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project 2,000 code sprint
OpenLayers 2,000 code sprint
MapServer 5,000 code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPS code sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE 3,000 GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences, generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw 2,000 code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. “
- Mark Twain





_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board



_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Jody,

I do not think this is unclear, we already have a board decision about this issue: the marketing committee asked to move unspent budget from 2016 to 2017 and this request was refused by the board.

Best,
Angelos

On 09/29/2017 07:04 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
One thing to keep in mind - it is not clear about taking money from year to
year.

The marketing committee had this question: wondering if it could use
"unspent" money from last year towards this years goals. Since we expected
to have to print a lot of new banners for local chapters.  We were told no
... that the budget did not carry forward from year to year. I am kind of
okay with that, it does mean that for long term planning a bit more
discussion is needed - which is good for transparency.

A similar issue is before project steering committees, especially when
funds have been donated towards a projects (open layers was sponsored this
year) or towards an initiative (the global travel grant program has been
sponsored this year).  I expect these means we need a little project by
project accounting beyond the OSGeo annual budget. I would like to sort
this out with the treasurer; as I do not want each project steering
committee to have to incorporate in order to have a bank account (it is one
of the things we founded OSGeo to do for the projects).


--
Jody Garnett

On 28 September 2017 at 21:01, Jody Garnett [hidden email] wrote:

Your project steering committee makes a motion, and you ask the treasurer.
This is how GeoServer was able to assist the marlin project's java one
fundraiser.

You can see our meeting mins here: http://osgeo-org.1560.
x6.nabble.com/GeoTools-GeoWebCache-GeoServer-Meeting-
2017-07-25-td5329187.html

And then the motion on the email list: http://osgeo-org.1560.
x6.nabble.com/PSC-motion-help-Marlin-developer-reach-to-
JavaOne-td5329262.html

I should say that most projects budget only outlined a need for
code-sprint funding, which really helped figure out how much we needed to
set aside for that this year. Prior experience indicated that sponsor
donations often mean that code sprints turn a profit, so OSGeo can often
carry money from event to event ...  Our procedure for code sprint
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines> is designed to make
sure the team is putting some effort into attracting sponsorship, and that
allows OSGeo both provide initial money (to rent facilities) before
sponsorship comes through, and to backfill in the event of a loss so our
volunteers are not personally on the hook (it is stressful enough running
one of these events).
--
Jody Garnett

On 28 September 2017 at 14:33, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

What’s the process for using the requested funding for the GeoMoose
project?  Can we still use these monies this year for example?  We haven’t
gone after any of the requested funding yet as we’ve been wanting to set up
a fiscal agent first.   That’s close to being completed now.

Thanks

bobb



On Sep 26, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Anita Graser [hidden email] wrote:

Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for
preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (
https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS 1,500 code sprint
QGIS 2,000 3,000 1x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer 1,500 2,000 1x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project 2,000 code sprint
OpenLayers 2,000 code sprint
MapServer 5,000 code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPS code sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.
x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE 3,000 GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences,
generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and
other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE
code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw 2,000 code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending
this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for
next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the
information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board



"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. “
- Mark Twain





_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board



      

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


-- 
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

jody.garnett
Yep, it is clear for annual budget (where all monies come from OSGeo).

My point in the third paragraph is this - to confirm how accounting works across years - where a group has raised funds to keep track of. A bit more of internal accounting will be needed on our end, to avoid the overhead of committees setting up their own bank account.
On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 3:41 AM Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jody,

I do not think this is unclear, we already have a board decision about this issue: the marketing committee asked to move unspent budget from 2016 to 2017 and this request was refused by the board.

Best,
Angelos


On 09/29/2017 07:04 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
One thing to keep in mind - it is not clear about taking money from year to
year.

The marketing committee had this question: wondering if it could use
"unspent" money from last year towards this years goals. Since we expected
to have to print a lot of new banners for local chapters.  We were told no
... that the budget did not carry forward from year to year. I am kind of
okay with that, it does mean that for long term planning a bit more
discussion is needed - which is good for transparency.

A similar issue is before project steering committees, especially when
funds have been donated towards a projects (open layers was sponsored this
year) or towards an initiative (the global travel grant program has been
sponsored this year).  I expect these means we need a little project by
project accounting beyond the OSGeo annual budget. I would like to sort
this out with the treasurer; as I do not want each project steering
committee to have to incorporate in order to have a bank account (it is one
of the things we founded OSGeo to do for the projects).


--
Jody Garnett

On 28 September 2017 at 21:01, Jody Garnett [hidden email] wrote:

Your project steering committee makes a motion, and you ask the treasurer.
This is how GeoServer was able to assist the marlin project's java one
fundraiser.

You can see our meeting mins here: http://osgeo-org.1560.
x6.nabble.com/GeoTools-GeoWebCache-GeoServer-Meeting-
2017-07-25-td5329187.html

And then the motion on the email list: http://osgeo-org.1560.
x6.nabble.com/PSC-motion-help-Marlin-developer-reach-to-
JavaOne-td5329262.html

I should say that most projects budget only outlined a need for
code-sprint funding, which really helped figure out how much we needed to
set aside for that this year. Prior experience indicated that sponsor
donations often mean that code sprints turn a profit, so OSGeo can often
carry money from event to event ...  Our procedure for code sprint
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines> is designed to make
sure the team is putting some effort into attracting sponsorship, and that
allows OSGeo both provide initial money (to rent facilities) before
sponsorship comes through, and to backfill in the event of a loss so our
volunteers are not personally on the hook (it is stressful enough running
one of these events).
--
Jody Garnett

On 28 September 2017 at 14:33, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <
All,

What’s the process for using the requested funding for the GeoMoose
project?  Can we still use these monies this year for example?  We haven’t
gone after any of the requested funding yet as we’ve been wanting to set up
a fiscal agent first.   That’s close to being completed now.

Thanks

bobb



On Sep 26, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Anita Graser [hidden email] wrote:

Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for
preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (
https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS 1,500 code sprint
QGIS 2,000 3,000 1x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer 1,500 2,000 1x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project 2,000 code sprint
OpenLayers 2,000 code sprint
MapServer 5,000 code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPS code sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.
x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE 3,000 GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences,
generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and
other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE
code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw 2,000 code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending
this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for
next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the
information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita




_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board



"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. “
- Mark Twain





_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board



      

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
-- 
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos
--
--
Jody Garnett

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by Anita Graser
I would like to follow up on two things here: 

1) Operational Budget

Anita I think you found the draft budget, the approved operational budget is here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2017

2) Michael are you able to answer the question: "We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?"

3) Venka I really like your idea from the last board meeting:

> Venka suggested we send a remainder to all project PSC to submit their reports by end of Oct. 2017 and include their budget request for 2018 in the report.


--
Jody Garnett

On 26 September 2017 at 12:43, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Last year, we asked the all projects to help us budget for preject-related events. The feedback (before consolidation) was (https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2017&oldid=104525
​)​
GRASS1,500code sprint
QGIS2,0003,0001x developer meeting & 1x user conference
GeoServer1,5002,0001x developer meeting / sprint
ZOO-Project2,000code sprint
OpenLayers2,000code sprint
MapServer5,000code sprint (and possibly assist in travel)
PyWPScode sprint, see request details http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/PyWPS-winter-code-sprint-td5283188.html
GeoMOOSE3,000GeoMOOSE presence in at least three regional conferences, generation of OSGeo-Live USB Thumbdrives for handout at conferences and other project participation events, seed funding for at least one GeoMOOSE code Sprint and at least one GeoMOOSE workshop
pycsw2,000code sprint

We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?

If you agree, I'll go ahead and ask our projects to provide input for next year's budget. This way, the incoming board will already have the information they need to start planning.

Regards,
Anita





_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

margherita
Dear Board,

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to follow up on two things here: 

1) Operational Budget

Anita I think you found the draft budget, the approved operational budget is here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2017

2) Michael are you able to answer the question: "We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?"

3) Venka I really like your idea from the last board meeting:

> Venka suggested we send a remainder to all project PSC to submit their reports by end of Oct. 2017 and include their budget request for 2018 in the report.

This is to let you know that the current years' GSoC active mentors are discussing to agree upon and submit to the board a proposal for using the budget deriving from GSoC 2017. Is there a deadline for that?

Thank you in advance
Regards,

--
Margherita Di Leo

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budgeting project event support for 2018

jody.garnett
I suspect the same workflow as last year:

* November -> budget requests and discussion for a draft budget (negotiation between your chair and the board)
* December -> budget approved for 2018 by the board

Do not be too stuck on what was approved for 2017 -- if you have new ideas to bring to the table for 2018 then please do so :)

(As was demonstrated by the conference committee and marketing committees in 2017 you can even ask to negotiate your mandate in order to take on a new responsibility).

I guess it can be helpful to review your 2017 budget, and subsequently how much of what was set aside you were able to effectively spend to support your volunteers and contributors. Treat it as inspiration for what you would like to repeat, improve or change in 2018.

All the best!

--
Jody Garnett

On 20 October 2017 at 11:25, Margherita Di Leo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Board,

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to follow up on two things here: 

1) Operational Budget

Anita I think you found the draft budget, the approved operational budget is here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2017

2) Michael are you able to answer the question: "We finally budgeted 17,500. How does this compare to the actual spending this year?"

3) Venka I really like your idea from the last board meeting:

> Venka suggested we send a remainder to all project PSC to submit their reports by end of Oct. 2017 and include their budget request for 2018 in the report.

This is to let you know that the current years' GSoC active mentors are discussing to agree upon and submit to the board a proposal for using the budget deriving from GSoC 2017. Is there a deadline for that?

Thank you in advance
Regards,

--
Margherita Di Leo


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board