Budget 2019 / AGU Townhall

"Peter Löwe"
Dear all,

here is a bit of sobering input for next years budget planning.
Our friends at IODP (https://www.iodp.org/) have been hosting annual Townhalls at AGU General Assemblies for over tens years. The report that for this years Townhall (150 attendees, hotel room rental, refreshments/nibbles) they spent 15.000 EUR. That is 250% of the 2018 budget for the Open GeoScience Committee. I have contacted the ESSI Division of AGU regarding cheaper alternatives and will report on this ASAP. IMHO, spending over 10.000 EUR for a rather short reach out event would be excessive and is not justifiable.

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Re: Budget 2019 / AGU Townhall

Suchith Anand

Hi Peter,

Thanks for this info. One suggestion is maybe  if you can reach out to IODP and request that they provide OSGeo with a free presentation slot  in their  Town Hall event for future years (we can think of having an MoU with them). We can provide them OSGeo Live USBs etc at their TownHall event which will be useful for their delegates and attendees . We can also promote the AGU TownHall event through our networks for greater participation.

Best wishes,

Suchith

here is a bit of sobering input for next years budget planning.
Our friends at IODP (https://www.iodp.org/) have been hosting annual Townhalls at AGU General Assemblies for over tens years. The report that for this years Townhall (150 attendees, hotel room rental, refreshments/nibbles) they spent 15.000 EUR. That is 250% of the 2018 budget for the Open GeoScience Committee. I have contacted the ESSI Division of AGU regarding cheaper alternatives and will report on this ASAP. IMHO, spending over 10.000 EUR for a rather short reach out event would be excessive and is not justifiable.

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

attachment.

where permitted by law.

AGU Townhall / IODP

"Peter Löwe"
Hi Suchith,

thanks for your suggestion. The Integrated Ocean Discovery Program (IODP) is an international marine research collaboration dedicated to advancing scientific understanding of the Earth through drilling, coring, and monitoring the subseafloor. Members from this community provided advice for budgetary planning when the first OSGeo Townhall at the EGU GA was prepared back in 2014. In my experience, the annual IODP Townhall events are always packed with amazing information about scientific drilling projects, so there is little topical overlap and already too little time, as Townhalls last (only) 60 minutes. I propose we approach the IODP folks at next years EGU GA and discuss options for future cooperation.

best,
Peter

Re: AGU Townhall / IODP

Suchith Anand

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the background information on  Integrated Ocean Discovery Program (IODP). I now understand that there is very little topic overlap with IODP, so it might not be the appropriate optionMy suggestion is we as a community start looking and speaking with other communities who are planning their own TownHall  events in AGU or other key international scientific events but with more topic overlap with OSGeo to have OSGeo presented in their Town hall events. We can provide them OSGeo Live DVDs etc for distributing to their delegates at thier events. That way we can reach out to more communities but also scalable as we do not have pay costs for hosting the TownHall by our own. I think it is very important to have strong presence of OSGeo in EGU, AGU, AAG and other key scientific events, so we need to have presence in these TownHall events.

[...]

Helena Mitasova-7
We just got back from AGU - it was huge this year (28,000+ participants, we had 12 students/postdocs from our geoforall lab) and although there was no official OSGeo presence, there were several open science sessions where we participated
(lightning talks, posters) and our center had a booth with tangible landscape and some osgeo related info.
We even had two people from OSGgeo India stop by and we talked to quite few from sister labs.
It was great to have it in Washington DC, so there was a larger participation from Europe too.
Although we discussed OSGeo booth, we just did not have enough time to organize both NCSU CGA and OSGeo.

I believe that having a well staffed booth that is there for the entire conference is probably a better option than townhall in terms of impact
(almost everybody goes to see the exhibition) and several oragnizations (including NASA and google) had presentations and minitutorials in their booths.
The only issue is that you need to have enough people present at the conference to staff it and somebody willing to organize it which
can be a lot of work. In the past Peter and others have also organized open source / open science sessions at AGU - such sessions are now important and growing part of AGU.

I do not plan to go to 2019 AGU - it is back at San Francisco and I assume we will have people from west coast there. Vasek may still go
for the open science sessions.

Just a little bit of insight from the AGU 2018,

Helena

P.S. Vasek volunteered for an open science panel at AAG this year, but he will be the only from our lab going - our travel, time and energy resources
are limited.

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 8:04 AM, Suchith Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thank you for the background information on  Integrated Ocean Discovery Program (IODP). I now understand that there is very little topic overlap with IODP, so it might not be the appropriate option. My suggestion is we as a community start looking and speaking with other communities who are planning their own TownHall  events in AGU or other key international scientific events but with more topic overlap with OSGeo to have OSGeo presented in their Town hall events. We can provide them OSGeo Live DVDs etc for distributing to their delegates at thier events. That way we can reach out to more communities but also scalable as we do not have pay costs for hosting the TownHall by our own. I think it is very important to have strong presence of OSGeo in EGU, AGU, AAG and other key scientific events, so we need to have presence in these TownHall events.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Suchith

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
[hidden email]
http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html

AGU/EGU: Townhalls vs staffed booth

"Peter Löwe"
Dear Helena,

I'm totally with you that a staffed OSGeo booth at AGU or EGU would be preferable to a Townhall. This would require additional resources. I can only speak for the EGU event, but in the last five years, the only continuity we were able to achieve were the annual OSGeo Townhalls. Short courses were attempted many times, but were only held on a few occasions. One reason for this is, that OSGeo folks (until now) attend the conferences primarily in their roles as scientists/researchers. The announcement, if ones abstracts have been accepted is made in early Spring (for EGU), while the commitment for a staffed booth would have to be announced to the organizers during summer in the year before.
For EGU, I guestimate the costs for a staffed booth to be twice what we're paying for the Townhall event (things are MUCH cheaper in Vienna than at AGU), so this should be feasible from a financial perspective. However, we need dedicated staff for the booth. If we manage to develop a sustainable plan for this before April, the EGU organizers could be approached during the EGU GA.

Any ideas to wing such an effort at AGU would be welcome.

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Re: AGU Townhall / IODP

Suchith Anand

Thanks for this excellent updates and ideas.

OSGeo has lot of scientists, academics and researchers in our community who all are attending many scientific conferences, so I  think that we all should make use of these presentation opportunities to promote Open Principles in Science and Education in our slides.  I always  have slides on Open principles in education with examples from GeoForAll/OSGeo in my presentations : -)

Best wishes,

Suchith