Budget 2017 UN committee

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Budget 2017 UN committee

Massimiliano Cannata
dear UN committee members,
i was asked to draft a budget for 2017 to be submitted to the OSGeo board for approval.

This budget is intended to cover the costs of the committee operations.

My proposal is:

- participation to 2 international meeting of the Open GIS initiative by UN whose OSGeo is part per 1 person ~ 3'000 USD (note that geo4all participation is intented to be funded by geo4all).

With this mail I'm asking your inputs /comments / feedback before forwarding the request to the board.

My plan is to submit it on Sunday if no relevant discussions are raised by that time.


Regards,
Maxi




--
Massimiliano Cannata

Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica

Responsabile settore Geomatica


Istituto scienze della Terra

Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design

Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist


_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hi Maxi,

Are you sure that the UN won't cover these costs for travel and per diem?

Participation of relevant OSGeo experts is to their advantage.

I suspect that they will have a budget for these meetings.

Bruce


From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Massimiliano Cannata <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, 15 December 2016 2:11:42 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee
 
dear UN committee members,
i was asked to draft a budget for 2017 to be submitted to the OSGeo board for approval.

This budget is intended to cover the costs of the committee operations.

My proposal is:

- participation to 2 international meeting of the Open GIS initiative by UN whose OSGeo is part per 1 person ~ 3'000 USD (note that geo4all participation is intented to be funded by geo4all).

With this mail I'm asking your inputs /comments / feedback before forwarding the request to the board.

My plan is to submit it on Sunday if no relevant discussions are raised by that time.


Regards,
Maxi




--
Massimiliano Cannata

Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica

Responsabile settore Geomatica


Istituto scienze della Terra

Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design

Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee

Massimiliano Cannata
Dear Bruce,
they didn't in the past and they say they don't have any budget but are the nations that pays for...

I'm curious about others view on this...

Maxi

Il 14 dic 2016 9:26 PM, "Bruce Bannerman" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Hi Maxi,

Are you sure that the UN won't cover these costs for travel and per diem?

Participation of relevant OSGeo experts is to their advantage.

I suspect that they will have a budget for these meetings.

Bruce


From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Massimiliano Cannata <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, 15 December 2016 2:11:42 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee
 
dear UN committee members,
i was asked to draft a budget for 2017 to be submitted to the OSGeo board for approval.

This budget is intended to cover the costs of the committee operations.

My proposal is:

- participation to 2 international meeting of the Open GIS initiative by UN whose OSGeo is part per 1 person ~ 3'000 USD (note that geo4all participation is intented to be funded by geo4all).

With this mail I'm asking your inputs /comments / feedback before forwarding the request to the board.

My plan is to submit it on Sunday if no relevant discussions are raised by that time.


Regards,
Maxi




--
Massimiliano Cannata

Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica

Responsabile settore Geomatica


Istituto scienze della Terra

Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design

Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un


_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
Hi Maxi,
I fully agree with Bruce on this and have indicated that in the past. If they really want / need the expertise they can find the relatively minor budget for these costs. Even than it is such a bargain for the UN because you don't charge any actual income (consulting fee). I've worked for almost ten years in the UN and know that if people set their priorities, they can arrange the required budget in one way or another. I'm pretty confident that most people participating in these meeting get their cost covered in the same "one way or another".
That doesn't mean OSGeo can decide to invest in a good cause as providing FOSS expertise to the UN. I just think we shouldn't take for granted OSGeo did cover the cost and so should do the same towards the future. 
Cheers,
Jeroen

GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details. 
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572

Op 14 dec. 2016 om 23:55 heeft Massimiliano Cannata <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Dear Bruce,
they didn't in the past and they say they don't have any budget but are the nations that pays for...

I'm curious about others view on this...

Maxi

Il 14 dic 2016 9:26 PM, "Bruce Bannerman" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Hi Maxi,

Are you sure that the UN won't cover these costs for travel and per diem?

Participation of relevant OSGeo experts is to their advantage.

I suspect that they will have a budget for these meetings.

Bruce


From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Massimiliano Cannata <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, 15 December 2016 2:11:42 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee
 
dear UN committee members,
i was asked to draft a budget for 2017 to be submitted to the OSGeo board for approval.

This budget is intended to cover the costs of the committee operations.

My proposal is:

- participation to 2 international meeting of the Open GIS initiative by UN whose OSGeo is part per 1 person ~ 3'000 USD (note that geo4all participation is intented to be funded by geo4all).

With this mail I'm asking your inputs /comments / feedback before forwarding the request to the board.

My plan is to submit it on Sunday if no relevant discussions are raised by that time.


Regards,
Maxi




--
Massimiliano Cannata

Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica

Responsabile settore Geomatica


Istituto scienze della Terra

Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design

Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee

jmckenna
Administrator
In reply to this post by Massimiliano Cannata
Hi Maxi,

I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS
initiative, for 2017.

I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN
Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and
invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically
with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would
be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is
long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k
(not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount
that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and
its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that
role and invest".

The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons,
depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the
initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN
partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017
would really gets things moving in this "relationship".

If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their
funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this
UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.

PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with
more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo
experts, etc.

-jeff


--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna




On 2016-12-14 11:11 AM, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:

> dear UN committee members,
> i was asked to draft a budget for 2017 to be submitted to the OSGeo
> board for approval.
>
> This budget is intended to cover the costs of the committee operations.
>
> My proposal is:
>
> - participation to 2 international meeting of the Open GIS initiative by
> UN whose OSGeo is part per 1 person ~ 3'000 USD (note that geo4all
> participation is intented to be funded by geo4all).
>
> With this mail I'm asking your inputs /comments / feedback before
> forwarding the request to the board.
>
> My plan is to submit it on Sunday if no relevant discussions are raised
> by that time.
>
>
> Regards,
> Maxi
>
>
>
>
> --
> *Massimiliano Cannata*
>
> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>
> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>
>
> Istituto scienze della Terra
>
> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>
> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana
>
> Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio
>
> Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14____
>
> Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09____
>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> _www.supsi.ch/ist <http://www.supsi.ch/ist>_
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee

Serena Coetzee-2
Dear all,

I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.

I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.

Regards,
Serena

On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Maxi,

I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.

I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".

The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".

If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.

PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.

-jeff


--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna




On 2016-12-14 11:11 AM, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:

> dear UN committee members,
> i was asked to draft a budget for 2017 to be submitted to the OSGeo
> board for approval.
>
> This budget is intended to cover the costs of the committee operations.
>
> My proposal is:
>
> - participation to 2 international meeting of the Open GIS initiative by
> UN whose OSGeo is part per 1 person ~ 3'000 USD (note that geo4all
> participation is intented to be funded by geo4all).
>
> With this mail I'm asking your inputs /comments / feedback before
> forwarding the request to the board.
>
> My plan is to submit it on Sunday if no relevant discussions are raised
> by that time.
>
>
> Regards,
> Maxi
>
>
>
>
> --
> *Massimiliano Cannata*
>
> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>
> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>
>
> Istituto scienze della Terra
>
> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>
> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana
>
> Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio
>
> Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14____
>
> Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09____
>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> _www.supsi.ch/ist <http://www.supsi.ch/ist>_
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee

jmckenna
Administrator
Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

R: Budget 2017 UN committee

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria 



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R: Budget 2017 UN committee

Massimiliano Cannata
Agree, please go on and correct proposed budget to the board on wiki page.

Maxi

Il 15 dic 2016 4:43 PM, "Maria Antonia Brovelli" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria 



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un


_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R: Budget 2017 UN committee

jmckenna
Administrator
I have updated the proposed budget at:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2017#Draft_2017_Budget

-jeff



On 2016-12-16 2:24 AM, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:

> Agree, please go on and correct proposed budget to the board on wiki page.
>
> Maxi
>
> Il 15 dic 2016 4:43 PM, "Maria Antonia Brovelli"
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> ha scritto:
>
>     Dear All
>     I agree with the proposal.
>     Maria
>
>
>
>     Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung
>
>
>     -------- Messaggio originale --------
>     Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
>     A: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee
>
>     Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
>     the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
>     amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
>     2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
>     OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.
>
>     -jeff
>
>
>
>     On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
>     > Dear all,
>     >
>     > I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>     >
>     > I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>     >
>     > Regards,
>     > Serena
>     >
>     > On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi Maxi,
>     >
>     > I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>     >
>     > I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold
>     and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would
>     request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under
>     the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board
>     "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage
>     Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>     >
>     > The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>     >
>     > If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>     >
>     > PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>     >
>     > -jeff
>     >
>     >
>


_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee

Maria Antonia Brovelli
In reply to this post by jmckenna

Dear All

First of All I wish you a Happy 2017!


I have also some news about the OSGeo 2017 budget of our Committe.


The Board approved 6000 dollars (3000 for participation to 2 international meetings of the UN OpenGIS initiative for 1 person (note that GeoForAll participation is intended to be funded by geo4all) and 3000 for the  OSGeo-UN Hackathon).


I understand that it  is less with respect to what we asked, but it is more coherent with the support to the other proposed initiatives (code sprints, hackathons and so on) and with the global OSGeo budget. It means that we will organize the hackathon immediately before or after a conference in such a way to reduce costs and meanwhile all of us are committed in finding other sponsors. 

Please, if there are people interested in organizing that Hackathon, show you up in such a way to organize a meeting.


Many thanks and best regards,

Maria







----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.htmlBoard of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board


Sol Katz Award 2015

 

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]





 




Da: UN <[hidden email]> per conto di Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
Inviato: giovedì 15 dicembre 2016 14.06
A: [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee
 
Hi Maxi,

I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS
initiative, for 2017.

I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN
Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and
invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically
with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would
be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is
long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k
(not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount
that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and
its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that
role and invest".

The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons,
depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the
initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN
partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017
would really gets things moving in this "relationship".

If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their
funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this
UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.

PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with
more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo
experts, etc.

-jeff


--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna




On 2016-12-14 11:11 AM, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:
> dear UN committee members,
> i was asked to draft a budget for 2017 to be submitted to the OSGeo
> board for approval.
>
> This budget is intended to cover the costs of the committee operations.
>
> My proposal is:
>
> - participation to 2 international meeting of the Open GIS initiative by
> UN whose OSGeo is part per 1 person ~ 3'000 USD (note that geo4all
> participation is intented to be funded by geo4all).
>
> With this mail I'm asking your inputs /comments / feedback before
> forwarding the request to the board.
>
> My plan is to submit it on Sunday if no relevant discussions are raised
> by that time.
>
>
> Regards,
> Maxi
>
>
>
>
> --
> *Massimiliano Cannata*
>
> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>
> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>
>
> Istituto scienze della Terra
>
> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>
> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana
>
> Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio
>
> Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14____
>
> Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09____
>
> [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>
> _www.supsi.ch/ist <http://www.supsi.ch/ist>_
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Serena Coetzee-2
In reply to this post by Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear Maria, 

I want to come back to you about this email sent a while ago already… 

As you probably know, there will be a FOSS4G Southern Africa conference this year in the last week of June (https://qgis.org.za/en/events/foss4g-southern-africa-and-qgis-user-group-conference/) and next year the FOSS4G2018 will be in Africa. 

Local organizing committee (LOC) of this year’s conference are interested in attaching a hackathon to the conference (they are CC’d in). Based on the budget that was approved by the OSGeo Board, it will not be enough for the three day hackathon proposed by Jeff (see bottom of the email), but it could be used to arrange a one day hackathon? 

This could be an opportunity to raise awareness of the UN Open GIS initiative in Africa, and also to raise awareness of FOSS4G 2018 in Africa. From what I gathered during our VTC calls, all the other events planned for this year will be on other continents. 

The LOC is meeting later today. Maybe I can bring feedback from the LOC to our next VTC call to discuss the possibility?

Regards
--
Serena Coetzee

Geography Building 3-5
Centre for Geoinformation Science, Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: [hidden email] · Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis · Mobile: +27 82 464 4294 · Tel: +27 12 420 3823


On 15 Dec 2016, at 17:43, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria 



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un


_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Dear Serena

I'm supportive with respect of this initiative, which can be connected both to UN OpenGIS and FOSS4G 2018.

Please can you send a draft budget to the Committee in order to evaluate the initiative also from the economic point of view?

My suggestions are

1) to use as much as possible of the budget for awarding the winners of the hackathon and to include in this discussion also the two chairs of FOSS4G 2018.

Please, members of the Committee, feel free to comment.

Best regards,

Maria






----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.htmlBoard of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board


UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)


Sol Katz Award 2015

 

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]





 




Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Inviato: venerdì 3 febbraio 2017 11.27
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli
Cc: Jeff McKenna; [hidden email]; Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?
 
Dear Maria, 

I want to come back to you about this email sent a while ago already… 

As you probably know, there will be a FOSS4G Southern Africa conference this year in the last week of June (https://qgis.org.za/en/events/foss4g-southern-africa-and-qgis-user-group-conference/) and next year the FOSS4G2018 will be in Africa. 

Local organizing committee (LOC) of this year’s conference are interested in attaching a hackathon to the conference (they are CC’d in). Based on the budget that was approved by the OSGeo Board, it will not be enough for the three day hackathon proposed by Jeff (see bottom of the email), but it could be used to arrange a one day hackathon? 

This could be an opportunity to raise awareness of the UN Open GIS initiative in Africa, and also to raise awareness of FOSS4G 2018 in Africa. From what I gathered during our VTC calls, all the other events planned for this year will be on other continents. 

The LOC is meeting later today. Maybe I can bring feedback from the LOC to our next VTC call to discuss the possibility?

Regards
--
Serena Coetzee

Geography Building 3-5
Centre for Geoinformation Science, Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: [hidden email] · Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis · Mobile: +27 82 464 4294 · Tel: +27 12 420 3823


On 15 Dec 2016, at 17:43, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria 



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un


_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un

PastedGraphic-19.tiff (34K) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-28.tiff (33K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Suchith Anand
This is an excellent idea.

Suchith
________________________________________
From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
Sent: 03 February 2017 10:37 AM
To: Serena Coetzee
Cc: Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Serena

I'm supportive with respect of this initiative, which can be connected both to UN OpenGIS and FOSS4G 2018.

Please can you send a draft budget to the Committee in order to evaluate the initiative also from the economic point of view?

My suggestions are

1) to use as much as possible of the budget for awarding the winners of the hackathon and to include in this discussion also the two chairs of FOSS4G 2018.

Please, members of the Committee, feel free to comment.

Best regards,

Maria






----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]







________________________________
Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Inviato: venerdì 3 febbraio 2017 11.27
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli
Cc: Jeff McKenna; [hidden email]; Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Maria,

I want to come back to you about this email sent a while ago already…

As you probably know, there will be a FOSS4G Southern Africa conference this year in the last week of June (https://qgis.org.za/en/events/foss4g-southern-africa-and-qgis-user-group-conference/) and next year the FOSS4G2018 will be in Africa.

Local organizing committee (LOC) of this year’s conference are interested in attaching a hackathon to the conference (they are CC’d in). Based on the budget that was approved by the OSGeo Board, it will not be enough for the three day hackathon proposed by Jeff (see bottom of the email), but it could be used to arrange a one day hackathon?

This could be an opportunity to raise awareness of the UN Open GIS initiative in Africa, and also to raise awareness of FOSS4G 2018 in Africa. From what I gathered during our VTC calls, all the other events planned for this year will be on other continents.

The LOC is meeting later today. Maybe I can bring feedback from the LOC to our next VTC call to discuss the possibility?

Regards
--
Serena Coetzee

Geography Building 3-5
Centre for Geoinformation Science, Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> · Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis<http://www.up.ac.za/cgis> · Mobile: +27 82 464 4294 · Tel: +27 12 420 3823


On 15 Dec 2016, at 17:43, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un





This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
permitted by UK legislation.

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

R: Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear Gavin
In my opinion the main point is to give the possibility to young people to participate. On the other side some prizes can incentivize the participation as well. 

My suggestion is to have
1000 $ first prize
500 $ second prize

and use the other money for meals and travels. 
I don't understand what you mean with registration. Generally there are no registration cost for Hackaton.

Shall we define also some themes of interest for the Hackaton? In case I can figure out what we can propose following the activity that UN OpenGIS is currently doing.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Maria




Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Gavin Fleming <[hidden email]>
Data: 14/02/17 16:01 (GMT+01:00)
A: Suchith Anand <[hidden email]>, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>, Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Cc: Bridget Fleming <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Hi all

For FOSS4G Africa 2017 http://foss4g-africa.org we are planning a traditional one day FOSS4G codesprint for 1 July, which could easily morph into a UN GIS hackathon. I'm sure we could also figure out a way to make a three day hackathon work, possibly working it into the conference itself.

What budget items should we provide?

Meals?
Prizes?
Travel?
Registration?

We've also got a collaboration going with the JCSE Johannesburg Centre for Software Engineering...For promotion, venue, etc.

Regards

Gavin


On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, 15:34 Suchith Anand, <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is an excellent idea.

Suchith
________________________________________
From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
Sent: 03 February 2017 10:37 AM
To: Serena Coetzee
Cc: Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Serena

I'm supportive with respect of this initiative, which can be connected both to UN OpenGIS and FOSS4G 2018.

Please can you send a draft budget to the Committee in order to evaluate the initiative also from the economic point of view?

My suggestions are

1) to use as much as possible of the budget for awarding the winners of the hackathon and to include in this discussion also the two chairs of FOSS4G 2018.

Please, members of the Committee, feel free to comment.

Best regards,

Maria






----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]







________________________________
Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Inviato: venerdì 3 febbraio 2017 11.27
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli
Cc: Jeff McKenna; [hidden email]; Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Maria,

I want to come back to you about this email sent a while ago already…

As you probably know, there will be a FOSS4G Southern Africa conference this year in the last week of June (https://qgis.org.za/en/events/foss4g-southern-africa-and-qgis-user-group-conference/) and next year the FOSS4G2018 will be in Africa.

Local organizing committee (LOC) of this year’s conference are interested in attaching a hackathon to the conference (they are CC’d in). Based on the budget that was approved by the OSGeo Board, it will not be enough for the three day hackathon proposed by Jeff (see bottom of the email), but it could be used to arrange a one day hackathon?

This could be an opportunity to raise awareness of the UN Open GIS initiative in Africa, and also to raise awareness of FOSS4G 2018 in Africa. From what I gathered during our VTC calls, all the other events planned for this year will be on other continents.

The LOC is meeting later today. Maybe I can bring feedback from the LOC to our next VTC call to discuss the possibility?

Regards
--
Serena Coetzee

Geography Building 3-5
Centre for Geoinformation Science, Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> · Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis<http://www.up.ac.za/cgis> · Mobile: +27 82 464 4294 · Tel: +27 12 420 3823


On 15 Dec 2016, at 17:43, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un





This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
permitted by UK legislation.


_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Serena Coetzee-2
In reply to this post by Suchith Anand
Thanks for sending the mail, Gavin. I included the FOSS4G 2018 organizers in the discussion, as requested by Maria. 

We also need to understand how a ‘UN’ hackathon is different from other hackathons, to make sure it is organized according to expectations. Looking forward to hearing from others about this. 

Regards,
Serena

On 14 Feb 2017, at 17:00, Gavin Fleming <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all

For FOSS4G Africa 2017 http://foss4g-africa.org we are planning a traditional one day FOSS4G codesprint for 1 July, which could easily morph into a UN GIS hackathon. I'm sure we could also figure out a way to make a three day hackathon work, possibly working it into the conference itself.

What budget items should we provide?

Meals?
Prizes?
Travel?
Registration?

We've also got a collaboration going with the JCSE Johannesburg Centre for Software Engineering...For promotion, venue, etc.

Regards

Gavin


On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, 15:34 Suchith Anand, <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is an excellent idea.

Suchith
________________________________________
From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
Sent: 03 February 2017 10:37 AM
To: Serena Coetzee
Cc: Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Serena

I'm supportive with respect of this initiative, which can be connected both to UN OpenGIS and FOSS4G 2018.

Please can you send a draft budget to the Committee in order to evaluate the initiative also from the economic point of view?

My suggestions are

1) to use as much as possible of the budget for awarding the winners of the hackathon and to include in this discussion also the two chairs of FOSS4G 2018.

Please, members of the Committee, feel free to comment.

Best regards,

Maria






----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]







________________________________
Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Inviato: venerdì 3 febbraio 2017 11.27
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli
Cc: Jeff McKenna; [hidden email]; Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Maria,

I want to come back to you about this email sent a while ago already…

As you probably know, there will be a FOSS4G Southern Africa conference this year in the last week of June (https://qgis.org.za/en/events/foss4g-southern-africa-and-qgis-user-group-conference/) and next year the FOSS4G2018 will be in Africa.

Local organizing committee (LOC) of this year’s conference are interested in attaching a hackathon to the conference (they are CC’d in). Based on the budget that was approved by the OSGeo Board, it will not be enough for the three day hackathon proposed by Jeff (see bottom of the email), but it could be used to arrange a one day hackathon?

This could be an opportunity to raise awareness of the UN Open GIS initiative in Africa, and also to raise awareness of FOSS4G 2018 in Africa. From what I gathered during our VTC calls, all the other events planned for this year will be on other continents.

The LOC is meeting later today. Maybe I can bring feedback from the LOC to our next VTC call to discuss the possibility?

Regards
--
Serena Coetzee

Geography Building 3-5
Centre for Geoinformation Science, Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> · Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis<http://www.up.ac.za/cgis> · Mobile: +27 82 464 4294 · Tel: +27 12 420 3823


On 15 Dec 2016, at 17:43, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un





This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
permitted by UK legislation.



_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Serena Coetzee-2
In reply to this post by Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear Maria and all, 

we discussed the OSGeo-Hackathon for FOSS4G 2017 at last week’s LOC meeting. A codesprint was aleady planned for the Saturday after the conference (1 July). We would like to transform this into the OSGeo-UN Hackathon. Jeff McKenna will be there for the codesprint. Gavin has found a suitable venue, the Joburg Centre for Software Engineering (JCSE) http://www.jcse.org.za/, close to the conference venue. It is based at Wits university and should attract young people to participate and to be incentivized.  

Gavin will prepare a budget and send it to you soon. 

We have not yet discussed themes of interest for the Hackaton. Will put that on the agenda of the next LOC. You are welcome to propose themes!

If there are any suggestions about UN partners to invite, let us know...

Regards
Serena

On 15 Feb 2017, at 08:31, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Gavin
In my opinion the main point is to give the possibility to young people to participate. On the other side some prizes can incentivize the participation as well. 

My suggestion is to have
1000 $ first prize
500 $ second prize

and use the other money for meals and travels. 
I don't understand what you mean with registration. Generally there are no registration cost for Hackaton.

Shall we define also some themes of interest for the Hackaton? In case I can figure out what we can propose following the activity that UN OpenGIS is currently doing.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Maria




Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Gavin Fleming <[hidden email]>
Data: 14/02/17 16:01 (GMT+01:00)
A: Suchith Anand <[hidden email]>, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>, Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Cc: Bridget Fleming <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Hi all

For FOSS4G Africa 2017 http://foss4g-africa.org we are planning a traditional one day FOSS4G codesprint for 1 July, which could easily morph into a UN GIS hackathon. I'm sure we could also figure out a way to make a three day hackathon work, possibly working it into the conference itself.

What budget items should we provide?

Meals?
Prizes?
Travel?
Registration?

We've also got a collaboration going with the JCSE Johannesburg Centre for Software Engineering...For promotion, venue, etc.

Regards

Gavin


On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, 15:34 Suchith Anand, <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is an excellent idea.

Suchith
________________________________________
From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
Sent: 03 February 2017 10:37 AM
To: Serena Coetzee
Cc: Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Serena

I'm supportive with respect of this initiative, which can be connected both to UN OpenGIS and FOSS4G 2018.

Please can you send a draft budget to the Committee in order to evaluate the initiative also from the economic point of view?

My suggestions are

1) to use as much as possible of the budget for awarding the winners of the hackathon and to include in this discussion also the two chairs of FOSS4G 2018.

Please, members of the Committee, feel free to comment.

Best regards,

Maria






----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]







________________________________
Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Inviato: venerdì 3 febbraio 2017 11.27
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli
Cc: Jeff McKenna; [hidden email]; Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Maria,

I want to come back to you about this email sent a while ago already…

As you probably know, there will be a FOSS4G Southern Africa conference this year in the last week of June (https://qgis.org.za/en/events/foss4g-southern-africa-and-qgis-user-group-conference/) and next year the FOSS4G2018 will be in Africa.

Local organizing committee (LOC) of this year’s conference are interested in attaching a hackathon to the conference (they are CC’d in). Based on the budget that was approved by the OSGeo Board, it will not be enough for the three day hackathon proposed by Jeff (see bottom of the email), but it could be used to arrange a one day hackathon?

This could be an opportunity to raise awareness of the UN Open GIS initiative in Africa, and also to raise awareness of FOSS4G 2018 in Africa. From what I gathered during our VTC calls, all the other events planned for this year will be on other continents.

The LOC is meeting later today. Maybe I can bring feedback from the LOC to our next VTC call to discuss the possibility?

Regards
--
Serena Coetzee

Geography Building 3-5
Centre for Geoinformation Science, Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> · Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis<http://www.up.ac.za/cgis> · Mobile: +27 82 464 4294 · Tel: +27 12 420 3823


On 15 Dec 2016, at 17:43, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un





This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
permitted by UK legislation.



_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

R: Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear Serena, excellent.
I put in CC Prof. Ki-Joune Li and Dr. Kyoung-Soo Eom asking them to contribute with ideas and UN people to invite. As OSGeo is involved in UN OpenGIS in my opinion we should consider an Hackaton in line with this initiative. 
Best regards,
Maria





Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Data: 23/02/17 15:34 (GMT+01:00)
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
Cc: Fleming Gavin <[hidden email]>, Suchith Anand <[hidden email]>, Bridget Fleming <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Maria and all, 

we discussed the OSGeo-Hackathon for FOSS4G 2017 at last week’s LOC meeting. A codesprint was aleady planned for the Saturday after the conference (1 July). We would like to transform this into the OSGeo-UN Hackathon. Jeff McKenna will be there for the codesprint. Gavin has found a suitable venue, the Joburg Centre for Software Engineering (JCSE) http://www.jcse.org.za/, close to the conference venue. It is based at Wits university and should attract young people to participate and to be incentivized.  

Gavin will prepare a budget and send it to you soon. 

We have not yet discussed themes of interest for the Hackaton. Will put that on the agenda of the next LOC. You are welcome to propose themes!

If there are any suggestions about UN partners to invite, let us know...

Regards
Serena

On 15 Feb 2017, at 08:31, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Gavin
In my opinion the main point is to give the possibility to young people to participate. On the other side some prizes can incentivize the participation as well. 

My suggestion is to have
1000 $ first prize
500 $ second prize

and use the other money for meals and travels. 
I don't understand what you mean with registration. Generally there are no registration cost for Hackaton.

Shall we define also some themes of interest for the Hackaton? In case I can figure out what we can propose following the activity that UN OpenGIS is currently doing.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Maria




Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Gavin Fleming <[hidden email]>
Data: 14/02/17 16:01 (GMT+01:00)
A: Suchith Anand <[hidden email]>, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>, Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Cc: Bridget Fleming <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Hi all

For FOSS4G Africa 2017 http://foss4g-africa.org we are planning a traditional one day FOSS4G codesprint for 1 July, which could easily morph into a UN GIS hackathon. I'm sure we could also figure out a way to make a three day hackathon work, possibly working it into the conference itself.

What budget items should we provide?

Meals?
Prizes?
Travel?
Registration?

We've also got a collaboration going with the JCSE Johannesburg Centre for Software Engineering...For promotion, venue, etc.

Regards

Gavin


On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, 15:34 Suchith Anand, <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is an excellent idea.

Suchith
________________________________________
From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
Sent: 03 February 2017 10:37 AM
To: Serena Coetzee
Cc: Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Serena

I'm supportive with respect of this initiative, which can be connected both to UN OpenGIS and FOSS4G 2018.

Please can you send a draft budget to the Committee in order to evaluate the initiative also from the economic point of view?

My suggestions are

1) to use as much as possible of the budget for awarding the winners of the hackathon and to include in this discussion also the two chairs of FOSS4G 2018.

Please, members of the Committee, feel free to comment.

Best regards,

Maria






----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]







________________________________
Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Inviato: venerdì 3 febbraio 2017 11.27
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli
Cc: Jeff McKenna; [hidden email]; Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Maria,

I want to come back to you about this email sent a while ago already…

As you probably know, there will be a FOSS4G Southern Africa conference this year in the last week of June (https://qgis.org.za/en/events/foss4g-southern-africa-and-qgis-user-group-conference/) and next year the FOSS4G2018 will be in Africa.

Local organizing committee (LOC) of this year’s conference are interested in attaching a hackathon to the conference (they are CC’d in). Based on the budget that was approved by the OSGeo Board, it will not be enough for the three day hackathon proposed by Jeff (see bottom of the email), but it could be used to arrange a one day hackathon?

This could be an opportunity to raise awareness of the UN Open GIS initiative in Africa, and also to raise awareness of FOSS4G 2018 in Africa. From what I gathered during our VTC calls, all the other events planned for this year will be on other continents.

The LOC is meeting later today. Maybe I can bring feedback from the LOC to our next VTC call to discuss the possibility?

Regards
--
Serena Coetzee

Geography Building 3-5
Centre for Geoinformation Science, Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> · Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis<http://www.up.ac.za/cgis> · Mobile: +27 82 464 4294 · Tel: +27 12 420 3823


On 15 Dec 2016, at 17:43, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un





This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
permitted by UK legislation.



_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Serena Coetzee-2
Thanks, Maria, looking forward to hearing from them. 

Regards,
Serena

On 23 Feb 2017, at 20:14, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Serena, excellent.
I put in CC Prof. Ki-Joune Li and Dr. Kyoung-Soo Eom asking them to contribute with ideas and UN people to invite. As OSGeo is involved in UN OpenGIS in my opinion we should consider an Hackaton in line with this initiative. 
Best regards,
Maria





Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Data: 23/02/17 15:34 (GMT+01:00)
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
Cc: Fleming Gavin <[hidden email]>, Suchith Anand <[hidden email]>, Bridget Fleming <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Maria and all, 

we discussed the OSGeo-Hackathon for FOSS4G 2017 at last week’s LOC meeting. A codesprint was aleady planned for the Saturday after the conference (1 July). We would like to transform this into the OSGeo-UN Hackathon. Jeff McKenna will be there for the codesprint. Gavin has found a suitable venue, the Joburg Centre for Software Engineering (JCSE) http://www.jcse.org.za/, close to the conference venue. It is based at Wits university and should attract young people to participate and to be incentivized.  

Gavin will prepare a budget and send it to you soon. 

We have not yet discussed themes of interest for the Hackaton. Will put that on the agenda of the next LOC. You are welcome to propose themes!

If there are any suggestions about UN partners to invite, let us know...

Regards
Serena

On 15 Feb 2017, at 08:31, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Gavin
In my opinion the main point is to give the possibility to young people to participate. On the other side some prizes can incentivize the participation as well. 

My suggestion is to have
1000 $ first prize
500 $ second prize

and use the other money for meals and travels. 
I don't understand what you mean with registration. Generally there are no registration cost for Hackaton.

Shall we define also some themes of interest for the Hackaton? In case I can figure out what we can propose following the activity that UN OpenGIS is currently doing.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Maria




Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Gavin Fleming <[hidden email]>
Data: 14/02/17 16:01 (GMT+01:00)
A: Suchith Anand <[hidden email]>, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>, Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Cc: Bridget Fleming <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Hi all

For FOSS4G Africa 2017 http://foss4g-africa.org we are planning a traditional one day FOSS4G codesprint for 1 July, which could easily morph into a UN GIS hackathon. I'm sure we could also figure out a way to make a three day hackathon work, possibly working it into the conference itself.

What budget items should we provide?

Meals?
Prizes?
Travel?
Registration?

We've also got a collaboration going with the JCSE Johannesburg Centre for Software Engineering...For promotion, venue, etc.

Regards

Gavin


On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, 15:34 Suchith Anand, <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is an excellent idea.

Suchith
________________________________________
From: UN <[hidden email]> on behalf of Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]>
Sent: 03 February 2017 10:37 AM
To: Serena Coetzee
Cc: Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Serena

I'm supportive with respect of this initiative, which can be connected both to UN OpenGIS and FOSS4G 2018.

Please can you send a draft budget to the Committee in order to evaluate the initiative also from the economic point of view?

My suggestions are

1) to use as much as possible of the budget for awarding the winners of the hackathon and to include in this discussion also the two chairs of FOSS4G 2018.

Please, members of the Committee, feel free to comment.

Best regards,

Maria






----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Italy, UN-GGIM Academic Network Task Team, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]







________________________________
Da: Serena Coetzee <[hidden email]>
Inviato: venerdì 3 febbraio 2017 11.27
A: Maria Antonia Brovelli
Cc: Jeff McKenna; [hidden email]; Fleming Gavin; Bridget Fleming
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee - hackathon in South Africa?

Dear Maria,

I want to come back to you about this email sent a while ago already…

As you probably know, there will be a FOSS4G Southern Africa conference this year in the last week of June (https://qgis.org.za/en/events/foss4g-southern-africa-and-qgis-user-group-conference/) and next year the FOSS4G2018 will be in Africa.

Local organizing committee (LOC) of this year’s conference are interested in attaching a hackathon to the conference (they are CC’d in). Based on the budget that was approved by the OSGeo Board, it will not be enough for the three day hackathon proposed by Jeff (see bottom of the email), but it could be used to arrange a one day hackathon?

This could be an opportunity to raise awareness of the UN Open GIS initiative in Africa, and also to raise awareness of FOSS4G 2018 in Africa. From what I gathered during our VTC calls, all the other events planned for this year will be on other continents.

The LOC is meeting later today. Maybe I can bring feedback from the LOC to our next VTC call to discuss the possibility?

Regards
--
Serena Coetzee

Geography Building 3-5
Centre for Geoinformation Science, Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> · Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis<http://www.up.ac.za/cgis> · Mobile: +27 82 464 4294 · Tel: +27 12 420 3823


On 15 Dec 2016, at 17:43, Maria Antonia Brovelli <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Dear All
I agree with the proposal.
Maria



Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung


-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Data: 15/12/16 16:32 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Oggetto: Re: [UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Please also note that this would not an official request for 20k from
the OSGeo Board, this is to let the OSGeo Board know that this is the
amount that we foresee the OSGeo UN committee possibly requesting, in
2017, for the first of its kind, an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon", attended by
OSGeo's project leads and UN partners.

-jeff



On 2016-12-15 10:18 AM, Serena Coetzee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I support the idea of the hackathon to get things going. It shows commitment.
>
> I would be hesitant about funding travel because it may set a precedent and create expectations, but since this is an important initiative in its early stages, I think there is much value in face-to-face meetings.
>
> Regards,
> Serena
>
> On 15 Dec 2016, at 15:06, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi Maxi,
>
> I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS initiative, for 2017.
>
> I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k (not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that role and invest".
>
> The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons, depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017 would really gets things moving in this "relationship".
>
> If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.
>
> PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo experts, etc.
>
> -jeff
>
>

_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un
_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un





This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
permitted by UK legislation.




_______________________________________________
UN mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/un