Brazilian Involvement

Paul Ramsey-2

Hi Paul,
great news. I have signed the mailing list.
We certainly want to collaborate, and a student (Gilberto Ribeiro) will be
involved on the
development of the spatial operators as part of his Master thesis.
If you need anything more from us, please let me know.

Joao

At 09:53 AM 5/7/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>Joao,
>The Topology Operators for PostGIS project has received funding and is
>getting up and running. Please join the postgis-devel mailing list
>(http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-devel) if you
>would like to be involved. We will be trying to get a library framework
>in place quickly and move on from there.
>Paul
>
>On Wednesday, February 27, 2002, at 10:36 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
> > Joao,
> >       Refractions is working with the Software Engineering Group (SEG)
> > at the
> > University of Victoria on a joint project to add the OpenGIS Simple
> > Features for SQL operators to PostGIS. A grant application is currently
> > outstanding. With any luck, we will have one graduate student assigned
> > to the project starting in the summer.
> >       I think it would be excellent if the INPE and UVic projects could
> work
> > together on getting the SFSQL operators in place. From a R&D and pure
> > research point of view, the sooner the basic operations are in place,
> > the sooner more advanced topics can be attacked.
> >       Jens Jahnke is our contact with the UVic SEG, perhaps he could send
> > your our grant proposal, so you can see what we are planning. A joint
> > development plan could really speed the whole thing along, but it is
> > important that everyone works together. No point in having two
> > approaches to the same problem.
> >       What kind of timelines were you looking at for your project? What
> kind
> > of deliverables?
> >
> > Thanks for getting in touch,
> > Paul

> > Dear Dave,
> >
> > First I would like to introduce our group. We work at the National
> > Institute for Space Research - INPE - Brazil (www.inpe.br) on the Image
> > Processing Division. INPE is a Government Agency. This group has a large
> > experience in developing free software for GIS (more than 15 years).
> >
> > Our main system is called SPRING (www.dpi.inpe.br/spring), which is an
> > integrated package to deal with different types of geographic data.
> > Currently there is a multi platform version of SPRING, that runs in
> > Windows, Linux and Solaris machines, and we have about 18,000 users in
> > our database. SPRING is based on "dual architecture", part relational
> > database (attributes), part proprietary files (spatial data), and it is
> > not an open-source code. I'm the current software manager of this
> > system.
> >
> > I got my PhD. in 1998 at University of Maine working with Dr. Max
> > Egenhofer.
> >
> > There is an ongoing project called TerraLib, that is going to be an
> > open-source library to develop GIS applications. This library will be
> > based on object-relational databases.
> >
> > The main aspects are:
> >
> > 1. TerraLib is an open-source library for developing GIS applications,
> [...]

Doxygen

Chris Hodgson
Further to the meeting this morning, we seem to have agreed on using
Doxygen-generated API docs. The Doxygen site is at:
http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

And this page gives you a quick overview of how to document your code to take
advantage of it:
http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/docblocks.html#docblocks

Basically, if you are familiar with Javadoc comments, you can use exactly the
same technique for Doxygen. It is also very flexible and supports other
doc-comment styles such as the QT style (which I'm not personally aware of) and
some of its own, custom options.

Chris