Borked PostGIS 2.2 Upgrade

Lee Hachadoorian-2
Running PostGIS on PostgreSQL 9.3 Linux Mint 17.2 using
ubuntugis-unstable PPA. I had a working PostGIS 2.1.4. I recently apt
upgraded to PostGIS 2.2.2. I then tried:

    ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.2.2";

However this resulted in:

    ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/postgis-2.2": No such file
or directory

I posted about this to GIS.SE
(http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/206412/how-can-i-do-a-soft-upgrade-from-postgis-2-1-4-to-2-2-2).
Paul Ramsey responded and helped me figure out that something went
wrong with upgrade. (Thanks Paul!) At this point, I need to figure out
whether I can salvage the installation. I wanted to avoid dump and
restore, but at this point even dump is not working because of
nonworking PostGIS. I'm moving this to postgis-users as the
back-and-forth is more appropriate to a ML than GIS.SE

I'm running into dependency issues. I was *not* able to downgrade
because PostGIS 2.1 depends on GDAL 1.x, and I have already upgraded
to GDAL 2.0. When I looked to see what would be involved in
downgrading GDAL, apt wants to uninstall QGIS 2.16 and a bunch of
other stuff.

I apt uninstalled PostGIS 2.2 and reinstalled PostGIS 2.2. That
database still thinks it's on PostGIS 2.1, which is missing, and
CREATE EXTENSION fails (no control file) and ALTER EXTENSION fails as
previously.

Best,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
Asst Professor of Geography, Dartmouth College

Re: Borked PostGIS 2.2 Upgrade

Eloi Ribeiro-2
On 11-08-16 06:08, Lee Hachadoorian wrote:

> Running PostGIS on PostgreSQL 9.3 Linux Mint 17.2 using
> ubuntugis-unstable PPA. I had a working PostGIS 2.1.4. I recently apt
> upgraded to PostGIS 2.2.2. I then tried:
>
>      ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.2.2";
>
> However this resulted in:
>
>      ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/postgis-2.2": No such file
> or directory

I believe you missed a step of creating a symbolic link to the new
folder with the newest version.
Make sure the folder paths are the same to you.
In Ubuntu I did like this:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/postgresql/9.3/lib/postgis-2.2.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/9.3/lib/postgis-2.1
sudo ldconfig
psql -d database_name -c 'ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.2.2";'

Cheers,

Eloi

Re: Borked PostGIS 2.2 Upgrade

Paul Ramsey
Actually, your situation is rather uniquely terrible Lee, in that after running your "upgrade" you seem to have no copy of the postgis.so library left at all. So the hacks in my blog are not useful to you, as they assume that at lest there's a new/old copy of the so file lying around.

You'll need to get a copy of the so. You could hand-copy one out of a compatible linux distro, for example. Or you could grab the postgis source, download the dev packages for postgresql for your distro, and build one for yourself. Either option holds possibilities.

Another possibility if you have a compatible linux machine lying around: copy the whole postgresql data directory over and start it up over there. Requires identical architecture (32/64) and pgsql/postgis versions.

ATB,

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Paul,

Wow! "Uniquely terrible"!

I *do* have a compatible linux machine (nearly same setups on personal
laptop and at office, and I had not yet tried upgrading office
PostGIS), so I think I will use your last suggestion to copy the data
directory, fire up the cluster, and do a proper dump.

But I still have to get a working PostGIS back on my laptop. I will
read over your blog post and your subsequent email to see what I can
do.

Thanks for the detailed responses.

Best,
--Lee

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, your situation is rather uniquely terrible Lee, in that after
> running your "upgrade" you seem to have no copy of the postgis.so library
> left at all. So the hacks in my blog are not useful to you, as they assume
> that at lest there's a new/old copy of the so file lying around.
>
> You'll need to get a copy of the so. You could hand-copy one out of a
> compatible linux distro, for example. Or you could grab the postgis source,
> download the dev packages for postgresql for your distro, and build one for
> yourself. Either option holds possibilities.
>
> Another possibility if you have a compatible linux machine lying around:
> copy the whole postgresql data directory over and start it up over there.
> Requires identical architecture (32/64) and pgsql/postgis versions.
>
> ATB,

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Your SE question inspired me to write up a post which has some remedies in
>> the final section
>>
>> http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2016/08/postgis-upgrade.html

>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Lee Hachadoorian
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Running PostGIS on PostgreSQL 9.3 Linux Mint 17.2 using
>>> ubuntugis-unstable PPA. I had a working PostGIS 2.1.4. I recently apt
>>> upgraded to PostGIS 2.2.2. I then tried:
>>>
>>>     ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.2.2";
>>>
>>> However this resulted in:
>>>
>>>     ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/postgis-2.2": No such file
>>> or directory
>>>
>>> I posted about this to GIS.SE
>>>
>>> (http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/206412/how-can-i-do-a-soft-upgrade-from-postgis-2-1-4-to-2-2-2).
>>> Paul Ramsey responded and helped me figure out that something went
>>> wrong with upgrade. (Thanks Paul!) At this point, I need to figure out
>>> whether I can salvage the installation. I wanted to avoid dump and
>>> restore, but at this point even dump is not working because of
>>> nonworking PostGIS. I'm moving this to postgis-users as the
>>> back-and-forth is more appropriate to a ML than GIS.SE
>>>
>>> I'm running into dependency issues. I was *not* able to downgrade
>>> because PostGIS 2.1 depends on GDAL 1.x, and I have already upgraded
>>> to GDAL 2.0. When I looked to see what would be involved in
>>> downgrading GDAL, apt wants to uninstall QGIS 2.16 and a bunch of
>>> other stuff.
>>>
>>> I apt uninstalled PostGIS 2.2 and reinstalled PostGIS 2.2. That
>>> database still thinks it's on PostGIS 2.1, which is missing, and
>>> CREATE EXTENSION fails (no control file) and ALTER EXTENSION fails as
>>> previously.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> --Lee
>>>

>>> --
>>> Lee Hachadoorian
>>> Asst Professor of Geography, Dartmouth College
>>> http://geospatial.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

Lee Hachadoorian
Asst Professor of Geography, Dartmouth College
http://freecity.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

Re: Borked PostGIS 2.2 Upgrade

P O'Toole
> > Your SE question inspired me to write up a post which has some remedies in
the final section

> > http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2016/08/postgis-upgrade.html

> Actually, your situation is rather uniquely terrible Lee, in that after
running your "upgrade" you seem to have no copy of the postgis.so library
left at all. So the hacks in my blog are not useful to you, as they assume
that at lest there's a new/old copy of the so file lying around.

The effort is appreciated regardless, Paul. Definitely saving the post in case I wind up needing it later.

- Patrick

Re: Borked PostGIS 2.2 Upgrade

Lee Hachadoorian-2
Paul,

In your blog you describe symlinking from postgis-2.1.so to
postgis-2.2.so. That didn't seem to work for me, but I can't remember
why now. But it got me wondering, whether all I needed was the file it
was actually looking for. Since I have PostGIS 2.1.4 running on
another, almost identical computer (LM 17.2), I copied postgis-2.1.so
over. Then it complained about not being able to find
liblwgeom-2.1.4.so, so I copied that over as well (to /usr/lib).

You could knock me over with a feather, but it worked. Able to query
tables, view in QGIS, etc.

I am doing the dump right now. I think I am going to do a complete OS
upgrade to Linux Mint 18, then fresh installs of Postgres and PostGIS.
But probably not till next month, as long as current solution is
stable.

Many, many thanks for your assistance.

Best,
--Lee