Bootstrapping the OSGeo Lexicon Committee

Bootstrapping the OSGeo Lexicon Committee

Cameron Shorter
Hopefully most people with an interest in OSGeo Lexicon have signed up
to this email list by now.

To get us started I'd like to invite you all to join our initial intake
of the Lexicon Committee. (Future intakes will be coordinated by the
Committee). Expectations of committee members are:

1. Contribute to related activities when the committee is active.
2. Help with whatever dirty work is required to keep the project moving
forward.
3. Monitor committee conversations on our email list.

I expect there will be an initial burst of activity, then relatively
light involvement, mostly focused around periodic reviews of terms,
probably annually (although this is up for us to discuss).

We will make decisions as per standard OSGeo processes:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Lexicon_Committee#Decisions

If this sounds like you, then please send an email to this list Noting:

a. Who you are.
b. Mention your interest is in the OSGeo Lexicon Committee.
c. Possibly mention what you would like to see developed and how you'd
like to help make it happen.
d. Confirm that you are okay with joining the Lexicon Committee.

I'll start:

* I'm Cameron Shorter and have been involved in OSGeoLive and
TheGoodDocsProject.
* I'm hoping to see best practices in managing OSGeo terminology evolve
from this group.
* I'd like to see a glossary of OSGeo terms collated into OSGeoLive
documentation (released annually in line with FOSS4G).
* I'd like to see best practices in lexicon and glossary management be
collated into a template, which will be included in the newly formed
GoodDocsProject (templates for open source docs).
https://thegooddocsproject.dev/

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Bootstrapping the OSGeo Lexicon Committee

Vinita Yadav
Hi,
* I am Vinita Yadav and have been involved as Professor at School of Planning and Architecture New Delhi. I am urban planner by profession who uses geo spatial technology in analysing the data.
* I am hoping to build knowledge base about  OSGeo terminology evolving from this group.
* I would like to see a glossary of OSGeo terms collated into planning domain
* I would like to see how best we can bring out a glossary manual.

Regards,
Vinita
Professor of Regional Planning
School of Planning and Architecture
4 Block B
I. P Estate
New Delhi 110002

On Saturday, November 23, 2019, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Agata Lo Tauro
Hi,
* I am Agata Lo Tauro and have been involved as Prof.ssa, Arch., etc.  (Several International Institutions).
Please visit the following link

* I am hoping to implement knowledge and novel on-line courses under the OSGeo "Platform"... evolving from this group.
* I would like to see a glossary of OSGeo terms collated into planning domain (too)
* I would like to see how best we can implement templates for open source projects, etc.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.
All the best,
agata

Il giorno sab 23 nov 2019 alle ore 03:37 Vinita Yadav <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Ross Johnson

Hi everyone,

My name is Ross Johnson from Sydney, Australia and like Cameron, I have a background in cartography, metadata documentation and geospatial data management.  I have a science degree, and my career has evolved in most recent years into Technical Writing. I work for NSW Government in the transport sector.  I'm relatively new to open source, but do support best practice standards and development of a glossary of terms.

Talk again,
Regards,
Ross Johnson

[...]

Reese Plews
hello everyone,

it is wonderful that so many people with wide-ranging backgrounds are interested in the work of the lexicon committee. thank you all for wanting to be part of this group!

my name is Reese Plews and i approached Cameron about one month back when he mentioned that OSGEO was interested in putting together a glossary.

i am the convenor of the ISO/TC211 Terminology Maintenance Group (TMG) and maintain the TCs terminology repository and terminology deliverables, namely the multi-lingual glossary of terms. the TMG and i comment on, and assist with terminology issues in TC211 or between other TCs.  i am hoping that the management practices refined in TC211 over the more than 17 years will be helpful to learn about and adopt those that are suitable to the requirements of this committee and OSGEO.   i have also worked as an editor on a few TC211 standards.

in addition to my standards work, i operate a GIS services company in Tokyo working with clients on geospatial projects.

i am interested in helping OSGEO assemble a glossary through a consensus approach with the members of this group and hopefully the project leaders of the OSGEO software projects.

as Cameron mentioned in another message to the list, we made a small presentation to the OGC Naming Authority group during their meeting in Toulouse last week.  some members from that group are also expected to join the lexicon committee.  i think we will have a very good cross organizational representation.

in the coming week, after discussion with Cameron, i would like to introduce a startup timeline that will explain a bit more about how we intend to get things started with the group.

thank you again for your interest and i appreciate your patience while things get going.

reese

Re: Bootstrapping the OSGeo Lexicon Committee

labrinos

I am Nikos Lambrinos, Professor of Aristotle University of
Thessaloniki, Greece, Department of Primary Education, charter member
of OSGeo and Chief editor of GeoForAll Newsletter.
Since the beginning of the Newsletter we formed a regular page with
abbreviations of various spatial terms and international organizations
dedicated to spatial actions and research.
I would be very happy to see that list growing and becoming a lexicon
under the supervision of an international committee and scientists
specialized in spatial sciences.
I will be glad to join the committee and promote the synergies of the
committee through the Newsletter of Geo4All.

regards
Nikos Lambrinos

Παραθέτοντας από Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]>:

> Hopefully most people with an interest in OSGeo Lexicon have signed
> up to this email list by now.
>
> To get us started I'd like to invite you all to join our initial
> intake of the Lexicon Committee. (Future intakes will be coordinated
> by the Committee). Expectations of committee members are:
>
> 1. Contribute to related activities when the committee is active.
> 2. Help with whatever dirty work is required to keep the project
> moving forward.
> 3. Monitor committee conversations on our email list.
>
> I expect there will be an initial burst of activity, then relatively
> light involvement, mostly focused around periodic reviews of terms,
> probably annually (although this is up for us to discuss).
>
> We will make decisions as per standard OSGeo processes:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Lexicon_Committee#Decisions
>
> If this sounds like you, then please send an email to this list Noting:
>
> a. Who you are.
> b. Mention your interest is in the OSGeo Lexicon Committee.
> c. Possibly mention what you would like to see developed and how
> you'd like to help make it happen.
> d. Confirm that you are okay with joining the Lexicon Committee.
>
> I'll start:
>
> * I'm Cameron Shorter and have been involved in OSGeoLive and
> TheGoodDocsProject.
> * I'm hoping to see best practices in managing OSGeo terminology
> evolve from this group.
> * I'd like to see a glossary of OSGeo terms collated into OSGeoLive
> documentation (released annually in line with FOSS4G).
> * I'd like to see best practices in lexicon and glossary management
> be collated into a template, which will be included in the newly
> formed GoodDocsProject (templates for open source docs).
> https://thegooddocsproject.dev/
>

> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Technology Demystifier
>
> M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Δρ. Νίκος Λαμπρινός
Καθηγητής της Διδασκαλίας της Γεωγραφίας
Τμήμα Δημοτικής Εκπαίδευσης
Α.Π.Θ. 54124 Θεσσαλονίκη
Τηλ.: 2310 991201 / 991230
Email: [hidden email]
Web Page: http://users.auth.gr/labrinos/
          http://www.digital-earth.edu.gr/
          https://www.auth.gr/univUnits

Dr. Nikos Lambrinos
Professor of Geography Teaching
Director of the Sector of Science and New Technologies
President of the Hellenic digital earth Centre of Excellence
Faculty of Education
School of Primary Education
Dept. of Science and New Technologies
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki